• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate Mag nosedive issues in AT-X in .223

Amanda4461

Loves Dobermans!
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Asheboro, North Carolina
After changing my mind about buying a KRG, I bought an AT-X chassis from MH. Stuck my .223 Remington SPS 5-R in it, and found out the difference the chassis makes compared to the factory Hogey Samich rubber stock. Group size using 69gr Noslers went from 1.5” to <0.5” at 100 yards.
The chassis is fabulous. Excellent, very comfortable fit.
If only the .223 Accurate magazines would reliably feed all 10 rounds.
The first three or four rounds work as designed, but the remainder nose-dive in the mag. I pull back on the rim of the top round, it pops up and chambers just fine, but I have to do the same pull on each remaining round. OAL is 2.2910”
The problem doesn’t go away with different bullet styles.
Anybody have an idea on how to correct this nose-dive problem?
Thanks!
Amanda

Did you try adjusting spring and follower? I would add some tension to the spring and adjust the follower to keep the rounds slightly higher towards the front of the mag.

Did you try adjusting spring and follower? I would add some tension to the spring and adjust the follower to keep the rounds slightly higher towards the front of the mag.
Since it was the only mag I had at the time, I left it alone. After using the rifle as a single shot for today’s chronograph work, I took the mag apart. I stretched the spring out, but the follower is a piece of formed plastic, not able to bend it.
I received two new mags from Midway this evening, so i will try again after I load some dummy rounds.
The mags seem well-designed, but the only adjustment I see other than spring tension might be to sand the follower down if it sticks on the sides. The follower resides in a plastic box, much like the peanut butter between two slices of bread.
If it hangs up, and doesn’t force the cartridge bases up, it might need a rough spot sanded down. The plastic box with the follower and spring mates together, and the plastic sandwich slides into the metal magazine body.
If the two new mags work, I’ll just send this one back for an exchange🐒

Sorry if it wasn’t clear - you need to bend the spring where it connects to the follower to give it more tension at the front of the follower/mag. Essentially, the front of the follower should be higher than the rear when the spring is vertical. It won’t look any different when installed in the mag, but there will be more tension towards the nose. You don’t need to do anything to the follower itself.

Last edited:
Sorry if it wasn’t clear - you need to bend the spring where it connects to the follower to give it more tension at the front of the follower/mag. Essentially, the front of the follower should be higher than the rear when the spring is vertical. It won’t look any different when installed in the mag, but there will be more tension towards the nose. You don’t need to do anything to the follower itself.
I will try that, if the design allows much movement. The spring is attached through a hole, drilled into the plastic follower. Thanks for clearing that up. Probably a reason that I am not a mechanical engineer 🐶

Get some very fine sandpaper, sand the sides or follower to smooth it out.
I’m gonna guess the ammo isn’t too long and binding on the front of plastic housing?

I run this mags in my 223 conversion without issue.

Reactions: Amanda4461
It's possible the tip of the bullet is catching on the lip of the plastic insert of the mag. I had to cut it out on mine and
for several friends that use these mags.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EXACTLY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I adjusted the spring to put more pressure on the front of the follower, and sanded the side contact areas of the follower. It feeds 10 dummy rounds fine now.
The two new mags I got from Midway don’t have the problem. As much as they cost, I was glad those two had no problems.

Reactions: smoooth1
I had issues with accurate mag in a 223 terminus in a bravo

Switched to mdt no more issues. I will try the spring bend on the accurate

Seems I gloated too soon.
One of the new Accurate mags feeds ok. Most of the time. It worked fine for thirty rounds, then started having problems.
At the range today, I had three Accurate Mag .223 magazines loaded with 9 rounds each, hoping they would work ok if loaded down 1 round. One mag worked most of the time. The other two did not. No matter if I ran the bolt fast or slow, after the fourth round, the remaining 5 rounds were nose-down. I could pull the first of the five nose-down rounds back into place with my fingernail in the extractor groove, and it would pop up, chamber and eject. The remainder of the nose-down rounds stayed nose-down.
I called Accurate Mag and asked for Technical Service. One of their folks, Colin, suggested that I exchange one of my 10-round mags from Midway with one of the Accurate Mags that have Extended Feed Lips. I am doing so now. I was unaware of this model of .223 Mag, since Midway does not offer it. I could buy one from Accurate Mag's web page using their drop-down menu, but never used that site until today.
Results to follow.

Seems I gloated too soon.
One of the new Accurate mags feeds ok. Most of the time. It worked fine for thirty rounds, then started having problems.
At the range today, I had three Accurate Mag .223 magazines loaded with 9 rounds each, hoping they would work ok if loaded down 1 round. One mag worked most of the time. The other two did not. No matter if I ran the bolt fast or slow, after the fourth round, the remaining 5 rounds were nose-down. I could pull the first of the five nose-down rounds back into place with my fingernail in the extractor groove, and it would pop up, chamber and eject. The remainder of the nose-down rounds stayed nose-down.
I called Accurate Mag and asked for Technical Service. One of their folks, Colin, suggested that I exchange one of my 10-round mags from Midway with one of the Accurate Mags that have Extended Feed Lips. I am doing so now. I was unaware of this model of .223 Mag, since Midway does not offer it. I could buy one from Accurate Mag's web page using their drop-down menu, but never used that site until today.
Results to follow.
Results?