• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate ordnance or Southern Precision rifles.

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
Going to have a rifle built. Money being equal which builder would you choose and why?

Thanks

Pick one, I'd go with AO since I know the guys but both have a reputation for quality.

I'm 14 and was just emailing Southern Rifles about rifle parts (which will take me a VERY long time to save up for since I can't get a job for another year). Greg had been really cool, but I am just buying the parts from him since I had already chosen another builder before I knew about Bugholes.

I'm sure you'll be happy from either from what I've heard on the Hide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO. I know them pretty well. They have done plenty of work for me so I have lots of first hand experience on how they will go the extra mile, and then some, to make sure you are satisfied. They keep lots of parts in stock, which sometimes makes it expensive for me to visit them. On the flip side of that Mark has more than once told me "buy well, but don't over buy" and wound up saving me money. I cannot say enough good about them and you will find lots of other guys here on the Hide who feel the same way. If you like, I can send you pics of their work. I have both full custom builds and modified 700s. Their quoted build times are what they tell you and communication is excellent. Also, they are avid shooters so they use what they build and sell.

You'll have to base your choice between these two establishments on nuances, and not nuts-and-bolts factors.

How close are they to you? Within driving distance?
Leadtimes? One fit your timeline better than the other?
Does one or the other have the parts you need in stock? The reamer for the chamber you'd like?
Maybe you'll have luck getting one on the phone a lot easier than the other.

Best advice is to call both and discuss they details of what you want, and see which one gives you the warmer fuzzies.

SPR has a constant flow of parts. Just got a Stiller action and an M24 profile Bartlein barrel from them. Great service and great communication. Locals swear by their builds, been around quite a while, buy with confidence.
Then again, AO are no slouches either!!
You can't go wrong regardless.

I agree with the above, to me it would be location (do I happen to live in the vicinity of either of them) and then lead time. You are going to get a quality product from either shop and both will go the extra mile to keep their customers happy. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

Lol...I like it. Neither are close and both have long lead times due to the stock I want. AO appears to be around 300 dollars more expensive. But I need to look at all the options to make sure.

I bought 3 AO rifles over the last 4 months . I am never going to other builders ever again . Showed one to another builder who is a close family friend and very well known on here he was very impressed.

shorter lead times
absolute attention to detail
customer service
every person there is at the top of their game
Guns all shoot like a dream

Last edited:
Ferrari vs Lamborghini really. SPR customer service is awesome but I've never shot any of their builds. AO builds some bad ass rifles, period. They stock tons of parts also. I've been a huge pain in Marks ass lately and he hasn't run me off yet. My money would stay here in Georgia.

I have not seen a single AO rifle I was not impressed with. Mark is a great guy. I visited the shop and he took time out to show me around and when I asked about a new ATACR, he handed me his comp gun and said walk outside and check it out.

I've only heard good about both options, only have first hand experience with Mark and the guys at Accurate Ordnance. I had some minor work done to a rifle at AO but I still got the full custom treatment. Everyone stopped to talk and let me check out the new builds that were going on. Like everyone has said though, I don't think you'll regret dealing with either of them.

Reactions: Savage Gentleman
Going to have a rifle built. Money being equal which builder would you choose and why?

Thanks

Will this be your first custom build? The reason I ask is because I just built my first custom precision so my knowledge was very limited. I scoured the Hide for advice/recommendations as well. Mark and everyone at AO were nothing short of awesome when it came to educating me and helping me along with my decisions. Never once did they try to push me one way or another but they gave me all of what they felt were the best options and let me decide for myself. Mark told me the same thing that someone above mentioned and that was to "buy well but don't overbuy". I ordered my rifle in the shop and he had all of the parts in stock. When I ordered I was going with a .308 but after hearing him talk about the 6.5 Creedmoor I did a ton of research and called him the next day to make the change. He quoted me 5-6 weeks, my build was done in 5! I absolutely love my gun!!!
6.5 CM_3.jpg6.5 CM_4.jpg

and by the way, I made my decision based on the quality of product, reputation and customer service. It's just a plus that their shop is 15 miles from my house!!! If AO's place of business was in California I guess I would have just paid for shipping!

Yes first custom build. I've narrowed it down between 2 calibers, 6.5cm and 7mm. My hang up with the 6.5 is I have a 308 that shoots submoa. I want a custom build, I don't need one. I'm afraid I'm duplicating efforts with a 308/6.5. The majority of my shooting will be 600 meters with a few 1000 meter outings. I'm trying to find the balance to be better than the 308 enough to justify the round but not so overpowering and expensive to shoot that I never take it and stick with my 308. If that makes sense.

Will this be your first custom build? The reason I ask is because I just built my first custom precision so my knowledge was very limited. I scoured the Hide for advice/recommendations as well. Mark and everyone at AO were nothing short of awesome when it came to educating me and helping me along with my decisions. Never once did they try to push me one way or another but they gave me all of what they felt were the best options and let me decide for myself. Mark told me the same thing that someone above mentioned and that was to "buy well but don't overbuy". I ordered my rifle in the shop and he had all of the parts in stock. When I ordered I was going with a .308 but after hearing him talk about the 6.5 Creedmoor I did a ton of research and called him the next day to make the change. He quoted me 5-6 weeks, my build was done in 5! I absolutely love my gun!!!
View attachment 33433View attachment 33434

Man, that's a beauty. I'm sure it shoots just as good as it looks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk