• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accurate scale that measures to .01

ghostrider_OneOne

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Los Osos, CA
Can someone recommend a quality digital scale which measures to .01 grain (thousand). It seems like if you attach "reloading" to search it adds to the price but no quality. I've searched eBay, amazon, etc. and I'm sure many of these scientific scales will do the job but not sure which is the best buy. I want to keep it under $200 thank in advance....
"Rangers lead the way"

I want to keep it under $200

I think that will be a problem

FYI: Just because a scale displays down to .01 grain (resolution) it doesn't mean that it is accurate and repeatable to that level of precision.

You might want to delete this thread and re-open it in the reloading subforum, where it should get more attention.

Can someone recommend a quality digital scale which measures to .01 grain (thousand). It seems like if you attach "reloading" to search it adds to the price but no quality. I've searched eBay, amazon, etc. and I'm sure many of these scientific scales will do the job but not sure which is the best buy. I want to keep it under $200 thank in advance....
"Rangers lead the way"
You can't get there from here.
You can, however, get a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper for about 215 dollars that claims accuracy to .1 grains, which, let's be honest, is accurate enough, when you consider that there are 7000 grains to a pound.
I've been pleased with the unit I've been running

Reactions: ghostrider_OneOne
"Rangers lead the way"
Impossible sir. I would recommend either an older Ohaus made RCBS 505 or a Dillon eliminator (also Ohaus 505). Gently sharpen the prisms with a very fine diamond file, counting and matching opposing strokes. I would trust that way more than any electronic in your budget. I’m fact, there isn’t an electronic I would trust in that price range that I’m aware of.

This may be the closest you are going to get.

I think you would be better off getting an A&D FX-120i that you could add an autotrickler to in the future.

My GemPro 250 measures to 0.02 gr and I got it for $80 shipped used, but I've seen them go for insane prices even used lately. I'd agree with above, get an FX-120i if that precision is a real requirement. You can get them for $500 from Cambridge.

How precise are you trying to get your loads? For shooting steel at 1k the .1 grain precision of the RCBS chargemaster was enough for me but I did eventually switch to an FX-120i and AutoTrickler. For reference .01 is a hundredth (.001 would be a thousandth) and one kernel of H4350 or Varget ends up being around .02 grains.

How precise are you trying to get your loads? For shooting steel at 1k the .1 grain precision of the RCBS chargemaster was enough for me but I did eventually switch to an FX-120i and AutoTrickler. For reference .01 is a hundredth (.001 would be a thousandth) and one kernel of H4350 or Varget ends up being around .02 grains.
I'm fully aware of the level of precision I am searching for. I measure all my loads by hand. Although an FX-120 is certainly the standard, I was hoping a scientific scale was produced of equal quality but not quite the cost. I got a couple good recommendations.

It's still over your budget, but the Creedmoor sports unit is the only thing close that I'm aware of

The trx-925 does not use the better technology of magnetic force restoration.... but from a redneck repeatedly weighing the same stuff over a few days... it seems to work pretty well

I've been playing with check weights and primers just seeing how it does from day to day, and it's pretty well taking every variable I know to throw at it and repeating to less than .02 grain.

The only way I really managed to throw it off was cycling fan one and off while weight was sitting on the scale... if i actually let it go back to zero between checking weights the thing was able to repeat to less than .02 even without the wind screen and the house hvac fan running.

The most variance I see for the most part is .01gr, but I do see some items that will bounce back and forth .01 if I weigh them repeatedly at different times. (Guessing they are really close to weighting in between the two readings?... .0005 basically)

Right out of the box, my experience with the TRX-925 has not been great. My specific sample would not complete the full calibration cycle when powered on until I power cycled it 5-6 times and only then when initiating the calibration manually holding down the CAL button. Once calibrated and zeroed, it would not return to 0 when emptying and replacing the pan. Interestingly enough it prompted me to perform a calibration when I powered it off. Talked with Creedmoor Sports today to explain the issues and it it going back tomorrow. They did say they QA test each one prior to shipment, but I guess I got "lucky" on this round. Great customer service and I am sure they will get it figured out, but they did say the TRX-925 has been a success overall.