• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate scale?

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
What are your thoughts on the GemPro 250?

Anybody here use one?

Are they any good?

Any problems I should know about?

Thanks!

I sent mine back, it didn't weigh the same thing the same weight more than once,slow to react to trickling, by the time it reacted, the charge was over.
In my opinion, hundredths of a grain is almost TOO fine a resolution, I don't need something that weighs fingerprints.

Mainly, it was the repeatability issue for me.

I have one and like it. That said, I only weigh powder charges on a beam scale. I use my GemPro 250 for weighing everything else.

If you want a really precise scale for reloading, weighing single kernels. The A&D FX120i is excellent, and as cheap as i would go.
The Gempro can not accurately and reliably measure this, but the price should give a good pointer to that in the first place.
Some seem to work fine, others have repeatability issues, easily affected by RF noise, and tend to drift quite a bit.
A strain gauge scale is just not accurate enough for such a task.

But these are quite popular still and is more accurate then the normal electronic reloading scales from RCBS, Pact, Lyman etc.

I"ve been considering one of these-

BrianEnos.com Pro-digital Powder Scale

Does anyone have any feedback on this unit?
Looks suspiciously identical to a Gempro 250 lol.

I've read LOTS of these accurate scale threads, and they all pretty much match my experience. The GemPro 250 doesn't trickle well whether on battery or its transformer. On batteries, it is rock steady; on its transformer it can be as flaky as other digitals especially if not allowed to warm up properly. As an experiment, I replaced the transformer with a ~$50 "Lab" power supply, and my 250 now works as well on wall power as on batteries after a short warm up. (BTW, the 250 eats batteries like candy.)

It is very good for everything but trickling; for that I use a 5-0-5 and cross-check the final load on the 250.

Unless your willing to spend 1k or more I would skip the chi com digitals all together

Yes well strain gauge balances are not accurate enough or reliable when trickling.
And are meant for weighing static loads only.
The auto drift compensation software also affects this.
So if you want to trickle kernels of powder acurately and want a digital scale, you will have to swallow a hefty price.

Why you should by a magnetic force restoration balance for such tasks.
And the A&D i mentioned is as cheap as they come, while still providing excellent results for 400$.
Now i know i have posted this video before somewhere, but you will clearly see and get explained why, by someone who knows a lot more about it then me.

Magnetic force restoration balance verses strain gauge digital scale - YouTube

Last edited:
I love my RCBS, which works well for my shooting. Plenty accurate as long as you watch it throw each load. I can tell the times it's going to be over by 0.2-0.5 grs. Works much better with the McDonald's straw. I think some are over thinking this issue.

The Gempro 250 or the 500 is a great scale. There's nothing wrong with it and used properly will not drift. What helps is to use a line conditioner like a Tripp Lite and a grounded static pad. The strain gauges it uses are German manufacture and that's what makes it superior to most in it's price category. It is best to let the strain gauges warm over a few hours before using but you can just leave the scale on and not have that issue. As for powder trickling, it's very consistent to anticipate it's delay with technique and repeated use. I can quickly trickle to .02 to .04 grains and then add a kernal or two to take it to the final measurement which it has no problem detecting. I have a Lyman, RCBS, Dillon and an Acculab VIC-123 and it's clearly better than any of those units. There's nothing better for the money in my opinion.

Sure you can go nuts with a magnetic force balance but it's overkill for tactical purposes.

Last edited:
Consider just how much accuracy and sensitivity you need. For most of us 0.1 Gr is plenty. UNless you are a serious bench rest shooter in the groove for championships, you don't need more.

Now if you are OCD and have to have the best, knock your socks off.

RMD