• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Accurize a 92FS/M9 NM parts?

BlackStar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2005
Tejas
www.tacticalimmersion.com
I would like to shoot the Presidents Hundred Pistol Match this year. I have a 92FS in great shape, low round count. I would like some input on accurizing, parts and any gunsmiths in the Texas area with a good track record for match work? I am a little tight for time and need to get the pistol worked up ASAP so I can start putting rounds down range to prep for the match...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Accurize a 92FS/M9 NM parts?

JAB, would the Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning be able to help at all? I know they shoot modified M9s...

Yeah I need to call a buddy over there and see what kind of a dope deal I can work. I really just wanted to slap this thing together and start preping for the match.

The armorers face court-marshal if they build a civie gun while still getting paychecks from .mil. Don't even ask.

There is a user here that goes by the handle "DMS" that built his own using an I think Briley barrel and the Krieger Rail kit.

Right now the only reputable M9 Ball Gun builder is David Sams. I had a conversation z few weeks ago with a retired armorer now full time gunsmith that built them for several years alongside David Sams and even HE won't touch building one because they are such a PITA.

Sams is the only guy to consider. Dr. Nick turned out to be a no-go for a friend after holding his deposit for 5 months, giving the same excuses over and over, not quoting a final price, and giving him no idea at all on delivery timeframe.

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/beretta92customwork.html

Get in line with Sams and forget about it until you get the call it is ready. That or shooting a .45 are your only choices, other than finding a used Sams or Kidd gun.

David Olhasso also does excellent work on Beretta M9/92FS pistols, but I don't recall the full compliment the services he offers. I know that his trigger work is excellent!!

Tony Kidd returned to Texas (from the AMU as Chief of the USAMU Custom Gun Shop Pistol Section) to concentrate on 10-22 accessories as business was too good to pass up.

I don't think he builds pistols anymore.

There's about six weeks of hand work done to an M9 to get it to National Match standards (if you want to win, otherwise there are more reasonable mods to get it to shoot well enough to get you leg points and to the Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge and the President's tab).

To do it yourself you'll need good sights (which also clear the rising firing pin block in the slide), a trigger job, and a good barrel (KKMs and Bar-Stos seem to be the favorites).

Handloads are essential as 9mm Ball quality runs hot and cold. For non Excellence-in-Competition and DCM matches (which require ball ammo) your best accuracy potential comes from good solid-base hollow point bullets (Nosler, Speer, Sierra, and Hornadys come highly recommended).

Dave Sams' M9 waiting list is about 12 months and I think $1,000-1200 above cost of the base pistol. I personally believe you can build a cheaper, more durable M1911A1.

I've found (for me) the M9 obviously kicks less but is no easier to shoot. I find the trigger re-set (for timed and rapids) harder to adapt to.

I have 12 of the 30 required pistol points to Pistol Distinguished, shot (2-handed) in military combat matches with rack-grade GI M9s. I suck one-handed.

Sams National Match M9 I bought used from a guy who tried it and decided to stay with .45s. Tape on trigger guard indicates it passed last year's trigger weight and safety function test at Camp Perry.

imr05v.jpg

Here you can see how Sams installs hardened inserts into the aluminum frame rails for durable steel-on-steel contact:

RightsideframefieldstrippedBerettaM.jpg

The AMU uses six:

DSC_0702.jpg

A Bar-Sto barrel hood which fits into the slide face recess:

DSC_0703.jpg

Muzzle threaded, coned, and flared to fit the slide:

SlideRackedbackshowingbarrelflareDS.jpg

Some more details:
http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-4-berettamods.pdf
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/oct97shootbetter.html

Hey thanks guys, it looks like I am going to hold off on the M9 and just run a 1911 this year. I am out of practice, have not shot a match since 2007, so to be honest I will be happy to make the cut off.

I have been a Combat pistol/rifle shooter for the most part, but again I am out of practice. So it's more or less just trying to get back on the horse and ride, give my self a goal to work towards for the next few weeks.

Again thanks for the info, it's a big help!