• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Accurizing a rifle that shoots great already?

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I have a remington 700 PSS in 308 that I have shot for a while now. I have had a few things done to it.I was planning to true the action and rebarrel it. I have a local smith that shoots with me sometimes and he was going to watch over me doing the work to help teach me. I have a lathe and have done a few rifles before but always welcome any help I can get. When I showed him the groups I was shooting he told me to leave it alone. I had done a little prior work to the rifle just lapping the lugs and rechambered the barrel to get a better chamber for 175gr smk. It shoots under .5moa regularly. He told me he wouldn't touch it until it started loosing accuracy.

I already have the lugs lapped, rechambered for 175smk, trigger work done, badger base bedded to action, tactical stock and m5 bottom metal.

I was planning to install a custom barrel, true the action + bolt and install a tubb firing pin and spring.

I have already sunk a good bit of time and money into this rifle and don't know if I should just sell it and start a custom build, buy an Artic Warfare (I have been really looking hard at them lately anyway) or buy a custom rifle like a Surgeon, Tubb or something like that. I like the tactical rifles more than I do the really heavy target rifles. I also want something reliable that I do not have to clean constanly like some benchrest rifles.

I had an AW I should have kept several years ago but sold it after about a month because I was getting deployed again and it didn't seem to shoot much better than this rifle and I was offered much more than what I paid for it.

Re: Accurizing a rifle that shoots great already?

If it were me I would ask myself several questions and evaluate my position based on the answers.

1. Do I need more accuracy? Is the accuracy of the rifle holding me back in the situations it is being used in?

2. Is there something else about the rifle (ergonomics, chambering, weight, ect) that you don't like about the rifle? Is there specific features found in another rifle that would abate any issues deemed to exist?

3. Do I want try something different?

when I had the artic warfare I only had a chance to fire it 2 times I can remember I think less than a box of factory FGMM. can I expect much better accuracy in reality or about the same as I am getting from this rifle?

I know I do want more accuracy but I guess I really don't need any more accuracy in reality. I can hit pretty much anything I shoot at within reason if I do my part. I think a lot of it is I would like to try something else and not just have another run of the mill rifle. I have enough Remingtons and Winchesters.

I have also looked at the Sako, Blaser and Tikka which are very nice but I do not think they are as robust as the AW series.

This was my 1st serious long range rifle. I now have 7 I have bought or built, a couple actions and parts for builds I am planning and a few hunting rifles I have picked up really cheap to do builds on. This rifle is probably the most accurate centerfire rifle I have. I have never fully trued a rifle reciever just rebarreled and lapped the lugs. I have been studying as much as I can about doing the full job and have made most of the jigs and tools required to true a Remington 700. I am a little worried about screwing up an action. Hell I am not a machinist by trade I am a ship captain but I really like building things.

I think I am just going to leave this one alone like everyone recomends for now.

At a friend's shop a guy comes in asking about all kinds of accuracy tweaks, bedding, recrowning, freefloating, etc for his Ruger .22-250 varmint.

When asked about accuracy now, he reported 1/2" @100yd.

He was told to buy another rifle just like it on which to do the mods, so that after he was done, he would have at least one rifle capable of 1/2" accuracy.

I would just shoot it.
Maybe Atlas bipod to make it better for field use.
Same goes whit Tab sling and whit bottom metal.
Bolt knob to make it faster to shoot.
and stock maybe..

It already has an M5 bottom metal, stock and TIS sling. I have a few questions on the AW rifles I just posted on the Bolt action forum I could not find the answer to.

It's tough at times to take advice, sounds like your smith friend is a great guy to be heard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He was told to buy another rifle just like it on which to do the mods, so that after he was done, he would have at least one rifle capable of 1/2" accuracy. </div></div>

That's great.................and likely true! To the OP, if you did improve accuracy, what would you gain? At true 1/2 MOA the rifle probably outshoots your ability anyway, so as already suggested just keep shooting untill it wears or if you really have the bug, start another project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He was told to buy another rifle just like it on which to do the mods, so that after he was done, he would have at least one rifle capable of 1/2" accuracy. </div></div>

LOL +1 How bout finding a rifle that doesn't shoot good and mess with that one?:)

It sounds like the rifle is already accurized well enough.

Why not neaten it up a little... maybe a new stock, or something fancy that makes you appreciate it a little more.

It'll only cost you 3000.00 for a custom rifle to replace it after you screw it up. Not many factory guns shoot 1/2" all the time.

If your decision is based on ACCURACY, I'd say keep what you have. If you just have a bad case of "the wants" (and can afford it) I say build you a new rifle to your specs.

I have sold a perfectly good rifle to build a different perfectly good rifle (but one I wanted more) and have not regretted it.

clear as mud, huh???

Keith