• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accushot Mono Pod

SHO~BIZ308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2011
USA
I have a LRT 308DpmsSass and I'm wanting to purchase a Accushot Mono Pod but I'm not sure the correct one to get to mount on my PRS stock and have correct ht ADJ.
My question is: Will the BT12-QK, which gives me 3.75"-4.65" of adjustment, be adequate for the amount of rise my Harris 9-13" Bipodbipod will give?{I dont intend on adj past 9"}I'M not sure?
If anyone has used this setup before, please feel free to chime in and post pics and where to purchase at good price.
Thank for your help.

Re: Accushot Mono Pod

I have neither a PRS stock, nor a 9-13" harris bipod close at hand but this is relatively easy math to figure out... Taking a level line, what is the difference in height between the monopod mounting point and the extended legs of the bipod? If that number is less than 3.75", then the gun will be canted down with the bipod fully collapsed- without something under the bipod. If that number is greater than 4.65" then the gun will be canted up when the monopod is fully deployed- without something under the monopod.

Is this going to be shot from a bench, from prone? Without ever having purchased a monopod, this sounds (to me) like a very shooter dependent choice. It seems like your shooting position/style and physique will have as much to do with what monopod to buy as the measurements outlined above.

I take the above comment back, this is NOT easy math to figure out...

I happen to have a PRS stock, a 9-13" harris bipod, and a BT13-QK close at hand. I also happen to have shot several thousand rounds with this setup from the bench and in competition.

Although a BT12-QK "should" cover most situations once you extend the bipod past 11" dependent on the target position relative to your position you might find yourslef coming up a bit short on mono-pod. As with most situations in life you'd rather have a little extra length than not enough which is why I went with the BT13-QK.

A few pointers for shooting with a mono-pod:

1. add a rubber cane tip if shooting off of solid surfaces

2. do everything LoneWolf covers in this video:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iSKTcDEDQE&list=UU53XIbcyE0Qk2v-Slfb-89Q&index=63&feature=plpp_video"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1iSKTcDEDQE&list=UU53XIbcyE0Qk2v-Slfb-89Q&index=63&feature=plpp_video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will be shoting from a bench mostly </div></div>

If only shooting from a bench I'd go with the 6"-9" Harris and the BT12. If you already have the 9"-13" Harris then the BT13 would be my choice. You can always collapse/unhinge the mono-pod and use your hand/fist as the video demonstrates. It may look a little hokey, but is actually a very solid position.

I use a 7-9 versa pod and the bt13 on my RRA LAR-8. Works well. I use a small square of real short industrial type carpet on hard surfaces to steadies it up, I like the rubber cane tip idea. I little bigger footprint and flat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will be shoting from a bench mostly </div></div>

If only shooting from a bench I'd go with the 6"-9" Harris and the BT12. If you already have the 9"-13" Harris then the BT13 would be my choice. You can always collapse/unhinge the mono-pod and use your hand/fist as the video demonstrates. It may look a little hokey, but is actually a very solid position.</div></div>
Why would you recommend 6"-9"/BT12 if I'm only bench shotting?{I'm new at this so work with me}When you mentioned I could unhinge are you saying the BT13QK may be a lil to long,I placed a level on the barrel lifted stock till leveled then measured from bench to bottom of rail on stock I came up with 4-1/2"This cane tip is this a special oreder acc?

I had a 9-13 bipod on a RRA with a bt13 and the prs stock, I found it to just be to high to get comfortable behind. Dropped down to the bt12 and was more comfortable but it still just didn't work. Then I went to a 6-9 bipod and it finally feels right. I use a both the bt12 (for flatter shots) and a small sand bag (when I need more angle) and found the combo to work great. I can send a pic if you'd like to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randal9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 9-13 bipod on a RRA with a bt13 and the prs stock, I found it to just be to high to get comfortable behind. Dropped down to the bt12 and was more comfortable but it still just didn't work. Then I went to a 6-9 bipod and it finally feels right. I use a both the bt12 (for flatter shots) and a small sand bag (when I need more angle) and found the combo to work great. I can send a pic if you'd like to see it. </div></div> Please do cant wait to see, thatS what I was worried about was the bt13 being to high do you have pic with both mono's,do you like the 6-9 better.

I have a PRS and was shooting a Harris HBLS (9"-13") and found it to be too tall to get comfortable behind while shooting from the bench and prone. I switched to a HBRS and things improved dramatically. For me, it is much easier to get the proper body position behind the shorter bipod. I plan to get the BT12-QK in the near future. My thoughts are you can always put your hand, sand bag, rock, etc... under the shorter monopod if you need to adjust the rear of the gun higher and you can't make a BT13 shorter...

If you go the swivel route get yourself a "S" lock lever. It makes adjusting the rifle a lot easier while in various shooting positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will be shoting from a bench mostly </div></div>

If only shooting from a bench I'd go with the 6"-9" Harris and the BT12. If you already have the 9"-13" Harris then the BT13 would be my choice. You can always collapse/unhinge the mono-pod and use your hand/fist as the video demonstrates. It may look a little hokey, but is actually a very solid position.</div></div>
Why would you recommend 6"-9"/BT12 if I'm only bench shotting?{I'm new at this so work with me}When you mentioned I could unhinge are you saying the BT13QK may be a lil to long,I placed a level on the barrel lifted stock till leveled then measured from bench to bottom of rail on stock I came up with 4-1/2"This cane tip is this a special oreder acc? </div></div>

The 6-9" / BT12 will allow you to get lower/closer to the bench. IIRC with my bipod at 7" and BT13 at minimium height my grip will just touch the bench. If you have a situation with a high bench and low seat the lower your setup the better. It's not like a bolt gun with a blind box that you can go super low with. An AR-10 has to have a bipod tall enough for the grip and magazine to clear.

The BT13 may be a touch to long for low bench work, but as LoneWolf demonstrates in the video using the mono-pod unhinged and controlling elevation with your fist is actually quicker and better on soft surfaces than having it locked out. Watch the video again, he does an excellent job explaining how to use a mono-pod.

Replacement cane tips can be found at most pharmacies:
235889531.jpg

I have the 9-13 bipod and the same monopod. It works great but if you are shooting at 100yrds or less your bipod is going to be too high to use the monopod. Get system though I am sure you will enjoy it.

IMG_1761.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">
Right Click on image then select View Image to enlarge</span>

BT13 and a 9-13" Harris. The gun is level on the horizontal and the mono-pod is extended ~1/2".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_1761.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">
Right Click on image then select View Image to enlarge</span>

BT13 and a 9-13" Harris. The gun is level on the horizontal and the mono-pod is extended ~1/2".</div></div>
WOW nice set up Bunsen,I notice you have your bipod extended ~1/2" just wondering if you would have went with the BT12 would it have level it out w/o having to extended your bipod a ~1/2". I see YEH ROCKIN the Vortex PST what your magni and how do you like it I JUUST got mine 6-24x50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randal9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 9-13 bipod on a RRA with a bt13 and the prs stock, I found it to just be to high to get comfortable behind. Dropped down to the bt12 and was more comfortable but it still just didn't work. Then I went to a 6-9 bipod and it finally feels right. I use a both the bt12 (for flatter shots) and a small sand bag (when I need more angle) and found the combo to work great. I can send a pic if you'd like to see it. </div></div> What was it that still didnt work for you when you dropped down. your pics are very helpful,I tell yeh talking about it is nothing like seeing it.

Do anyone have a pic of the bt12 mounted with a 9-13. THANK YOU guys so much for the pics you have posted.

I mocked it up for you. Its almost perfectly level using the rail I have.
IMG_20121022_171010_zpsa57363ae.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BT13 and a 9-13" Harris. The gun is level on the horizontal and the mono-pod is extended ~1/2".</div></div>
WOW nice set up Bunsen,I notice you have your bipod extended ~1/2" just wondering if you would have went with the BT12 would it have level it out w/o having to extended your bipod a ~1/2". I see YEH ROCKIN the Vortex PST what your magni and how do you like it I JUUST got mine 6-24x50 </div></div>

LOVE the 6-24x50 Vortex PST and have one of their newest models inbound VERY shortly. As soon as I get it I'll be posting a review in the optics forum.

As for the BT12 vs BT13 recall in my photo that although the bipod is one click out from minimium the monopod is also slightly extended. So at best they cancel each other out at worst you're maybe looking at 0.25in extended for the mono-pod with the bipod at it's minimum.

Now, knowing that there is a 1.0in difference between the BT12 (3.75in) vs BT13 (4.75in) a BT12 at minimum height "should" make the rifle level with an 8" or 7" bipod, I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randal9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mocked it up for you. Its almost perfectly level using the rail I have.
IMG_20121022_171010_zpsa57363ae.jpg
</div></div>

Randal not trying to bust your nutz here but that's a BT13 <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> a BT12 in your photo.
cool.gif

BT13-QK
BT13QK.jpg

BT12-QK
BT12QK.jpg

You are correct Bunsen, I grabbed the wrong one out of the box in my hurry. Here is a bt12 with a 9-13 Harris. My apologies for the first pic but on the bright side now you can see the difference.
IMG_20121022_213244-1_zps2cc26624.jpg

IMG_20121022_213254-1_zps2863e2da.jpg

IMG_20121022_213522_zpsbe8c61cb.jpg

How stable is monopod extended?
I think im going with the Bt12,But what really sux is no one in my town sells them,I also went to the gunshow and none of the venders there had a clue what a monopod was.

I have one and to be honest, I don’t like mine.

Shooting off it if you are lying on flat ground with carpet underneath (as in your house – yea wouldn’t it be great if we had that choice?), works great and very steady.

Shooting outside prone on a mat over uneven ground, not steady at all. I much preferred using a wedge bag. The theory of the monopod is great sounding being attached to the gun and all, but with that single small point of contact and the ground being uneven underneath, it is a poor choice.

Others will tell you to do things like having it at an angle and so forth, tried it all and went back to the bag. Bag is a pain to carry around especially if you have the large one like I have but for a steady rear support, it’s hard to beat. I really wish I could tell you differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Agent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think im going with the Bt12,But what really sux is no one in my town sells them,I also went to the gunshow and none of the venders there had a clue what a monopod was. </div></div>

I've always just ordered mine directly from Accu-Shot. They are a Hide sponsor/vendor.

http://www.accu-shot.com/

Or you could get it through Triad Tactical, another Hide sponsor/vendor. You could potentially save a little on shipping by combining it with other items.

https://www.triadtactical.com/home.php

I've dealt with both and they are great to deal with.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR HELP,
I order the BT12 and the guy at BT Industries said he would swap it out if it did not work .
i will post pixs once i get it.

Here's to the ASM's--

This the best system ever for quick versatility using a specialty pistol afield--

DSCN0050.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

That's is sweet, how tall is your bipod & how many yards were u when those shot were taken?
It would be nice to see other members display groups/yards made with there monopods.sscoyote where you get that lil pillow under your BT12?

Sled, the Charger was 100 yds. for about 6 shots--3 with reticle and 3 with turret [6 MOA up from 50 zero].

The Savage Super Striker 22-250 has the intermediate length Harris--can't remember which one that is. I'm 5'5" tall so i don't need the tallest model. This one works well enough. This is a coyote rig and this system allows me to go prone from sitting quickly and still be able to get the support needed with the Mpod/sandbag system. The system was good enough to win the field course event at this comp. this year with it shooting 6" steel out to ~450 yds.--

www.moaguns.com

The sandbag is Darrell Holland's lightweight one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sscoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sled, the Charger was 100 yds. for about 6 shots--3 with reticle and 3 with turret [6 MOA up from 50 zero].

The Savage Super Striker 22-250 has the intermediate length Harris--can't remember which one that is. I'm 5'5" tall so i don't need the tallest model. This one works well enough. This is a coyote rig and this system allows me to go prone from sitting quickly and still be able to get the support needed with the Mpod/sandbag system. The system was good enough to win the field course event at this comp. this year with it shooting 6" steel out to ~450 yds.--

www.moaguns.com

The sandbag is Darrell Holland's lightweight one.</div></div>

WOW NICE" once I get LRTSASS completed I would lovr to enter some field course events and comr home with a few wins.Im really putting my all in this with all the help from you guys.

I got my BT12 monpod today,The mounting and height combination was just perfect and level with the Harris 9-13 Bipod w/o extending also adding the cane tips made things so much more stable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 9-13 bipod and the same monopod. It works great but if you are shooting at 100yrds or less your bipod is going to be too high to use the monopod. Get system though I am sure you will enjoy it.</div></div>
HELLO Doug why at 100yrd or less I will be high Im still learning so dont trip on me bro lol

I have the short - wish i had the long (they sell just the bottom / someday i will order the longer) - always seems like i want to put a bag or magazine under the rear

PICT0010.jpg

Pat M said:
I have the short - wish i had the long (they sell just the bottom / someday i will order the longer) - always seems like i want to put a bag or magazine under the rear

Why don't you just extend the mono-pod?