• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuwedges

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
So I ordered a UTG Accuwedge for 2.99, figured it couldn't hurt. There is a little slop between the upper and lower, I've been try to start with the gun canted slightly to one side then cam in until the gun is level (off a bipod with scope level) still getting used to AR ergos over all shooting prone anyways. Figuring out how much to load the bipod if at all, my grip thumb on right side or around the grip. Just want to get consistent and eliminate variables.

Anybody have experience with accused get type products?
20180527_184026.jpg
20180527_184421.jpg
20180527_184351.jpg
20180526_174912.jpg
20180526_174755.jpg
20180525_205629.jpg

shot these groups first time out with the gun, break in was run a patch of mpro7 on new barrel, dry out with clean patches, shoot one, clean with Hoppes #9 but just the regular cleaner not copper remover, clean patches. Shot about 180 rounds then. 5 shot groups with breaks in between not really getting it hot.

Shot Frontier 5.56 75gr BTHP
AE xm193
Hornady Black .223 75gr BTHP
A few rounds of Hornady match of assorted weights but think I psyched myself out. Here are some groups, the Frontier shooting nicely at around 1.2 MOA for 8.99 a box, best group was Hornady Black, nice at 13.99 a box.

Can't figure out how to edit post on the new site, I'm dumb just got to edit title.

I wanted to add that throughout this session my position, grip, bipod load and all the rest was far from consistent. My first time ever shooting an AR off a bipod.
I do like the gun a lot though.

I think there are some typos in your post. Are you asking if the accuwedge works? If so, from what I understand it just takes the knocking out of the receivers, but doesn't do anything for improved accuracy

Reactions: XLR308 and Drew890
if you don’t like the “slop” between your upper and lower, the accuwedge will eliminate that. As to whether it will help accuracy, most say no. The lower simply housed your trigger groups. Your optic, sights, etc are housed on your upper. Everything I’ve ever seen, heard, read, etc have said that slop between your upper and lower has zero affect on accuracy. I have some very accurate small frame AR’s, and most have just a touch of wobble. I have never worried about it. If the gun is MOA or slightly better, I consider that within the limits of the gun, glass, ammo, shooter combo. The only way to be absolutely sure would be to do a test. Same gun, same ammo, shooter, etc. shoot a 5x5 group, then install the accuwedge and do the same thing. It would be a very small example size, but it would answer the question for you, in your gun.

If you decide to do it, please keep us posted.

Reactions: jLorenzo
The second picture, upper right group is a classic example of what loose receivers will do to an otherwise accurate rifle. Alternating rounds in the magazine put pressure on different sides of the upper and when the hammer strikes, it is free to move where it wants. I would be willing to bet the lone shot of the group was the last with an empty mag.

I'm going to do that with the Hornady Black, 5x5 groups with and without. I'll keep you guys posted once it arrives.

The optic sits on top of the upper. The acuwedge does nothing to increase accuracy. Once a round is chambered it is chambered.

Mkay but if there's different pressure on the upper in different spots on each shot you don't think that'll have an effect? At worst I loose the little bit of slop that bugs my OCD at best is may improve some accuracy. Either way it's 3$.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If the foundation isn't consistent it won't matter how tight the upper is.
Also probably why LaRue, HK and other Uber high end guns have very tight tolerances (in the right places)

Anything else you can tell me on this subject? This gas gun stuff is a little new to me, I'm digging it though.
I'm focusing on fundamentals, doing everything as consistently as I can. trying to not let rounds cook in the chamber longer than others. let the gun cool for 10 min after 5x5 shot groups. Gonna be using 20 round pmags.
I'll post some more groups this week hopefully the accuwedge shows up soon, ordered other stuff with it off midway and they're still putting the order together.

I’ve never been able to get the receivers to close with an acuwedge.

UPS man came bearing gifts. I'll be out to the range soon and posts results with and without wedge.

Attachments

• 20180605_131947.jpg
    20180605_131947.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 31
Mkay but if there's different pressure on the upper in different spots on each shot you don't think that'll have an effect? At worst I loose the little bit of slop that bugs my OCD at best is may improve some accuracy. Either way it's 3$.

I had a conversation with a Wilson Combat rep as I was curious about play between recievers of the billet receiver set I have from them. The short answer I got was it doesn't effect a damn thing accuracy wise unless you get it in your head that it does.
They do however machine the lower for and include a rubber slug that acts very similar in function to the accuwedge.
If you have to have a tight fit receiver set then Mega is a good option, or bed your receivers to remove play.
The new Aero set I have set aside for the 224V or whatever new shiny comes out next has a nylon tipped set screw in the top of the grip screw hole for tensioning the receivers and removing play.
Any way you achieve a better fit it is mainly for feel good factor IMHO.

It's 2.99$ why not, I'm not expecting crazy difference in accuracy.

I've always just folded up a foam ear plug under the rear brake down lug on lowers without a screw that are sloppy. Does the same thing and I dont have to trim on it like I have on accuwedges.

*take down not brake down.
Wtf. Why cant I edit my own posts now?
Waste of money.
I had the same problem editing posts.
It was 2.99$ I'm not rich but really lol? it remains to be seen if it's a waste of money in my case. The wedge I got didn't need any trimming, I just push down on the upper a little to get the take down pin through and the fit is perfect.
Range trip is coming up soon.

I haven’t noticed a difference in my guns. Some are tight and some aren’t as tight. As long as I’m a consistent shooter the gun does the same thing. A nice tight fitting receiver set gives an owner the impression of high quality over a loose fit.

I had the same problem editing posts.
It was 2.99$ I'm not rich but really lol? it remains to be seen if it's a waste of money in my case. The wedge I got didn't need any trimming, I just push down on the upper a little to get the take down pin through and the fit is perfect.
Range trip is coming up soon.

I suppose my age is showing, but how do you expect adults to respond to and I quote, “but really lol?”

When the wedge comes apart and shuts down the rifle then the sage wisdom offered will be apparent...

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Just to muddy the waters a little further.
The first AR I built in the mid 90's had a little play between the receivers and when JP came out with the rear tension pin I figured what the hell I will give it a shot as the rifle was built for strictly target and P Dogs with a 24" bull barrel.
Some of the best groups I've ever shot with that rifle I've noticed that the tension pin had come loose to the point that it could be easily pushed in or out with a finger tip effectively negating its sole purpose.

Just to muddy the waters a little further.
The first AR I built in the mid 90's had a little play between the receivers and when JP came out with the rear tension pin I figured what the hell I will give it a shot as the rifle was built for strictly target and P Dogs with a 24" bull barrel.
Some of the best groups I've ever shot with that rifle I've noticed that the tension pin had come loose to the point that it could be easily pushed in or out with a finger tip effectively negating its sole purpose.

Sometimes I get the impression that everyone is saying accuwedges don’t work.

Sometimes I get the impression that everyone is saying accuwedges don’t work.

They absolutely work for eliminating play in receivers, as long as someone doesn't get the impression that they will have a similar effect to a quality barrel and trigger.
I tried one but didn't care for it, not to discourage anyone from giving it a try if it makes them feel more confident in their set up.

I suppose my age is showing, but how do you expect adults to respond to and I quote, “but really lol?”
I need to explain how to converse now? I just don't quite get what the problem is. This is a forum to discussing all thing guns.
Chill dude bra :)

old and young get along fine at the ranges I go to.

I guess accuwedges=old dudes getting pissy on the hide lol
This is actually kind of funny.

Reactions: Spblademaker
Let me clarify and try to get back on track. All I wanted was others experience with this product and also to post my results.
That's it.
I will be shooting grouts with and without. Don't have high expectations. I do like the tighter feel regardless of how it effects my groups.

Let me clarify and try to get back on track. All I wanted was others experience with this product and also to post my results.
That's it.
I will be shooting grouts with and without. Don't have high expectations. I do like the tighter feel regardless of how it effects my groups.

The rattle and loose feel were my initial annoyances with the AR and reason for trying the wedge and other methods as well so I understand your frustration in that regard.
What I've figured out in the 25 years since I built my first AR is that a well tuned gas system adjusted for load and caliber seem to be the ticket. This is for a target and hunting rifle of course not a kicking in doors combat rifle that has to run no matter what and is usually over gassed to accomplish that task.
I've really come to love the JP LMOS system paired with a Syrak gas block and have recommended the combination many times it just flat out performs when adjusted properly.

When I bought my first AR (2000) the Accuwedge was the rage. The only difference it ever made was that it was harder to put the upper and lower together. If the Accuwedge was vital to sub MOA groups Rock River wouldn't guarantee .75 MOA without using them.

I guess accuwedges=old dudes getting pissy on the hide lol
This is actually kind of funny.
I suppose I’m ancient at 43 since I think “really, lol” is not not English and belongs on a teenage girl’s cellphone. Is it that fucking hard to write out a coherent thought?

Let’s try some English: everyone on here is telling you to avoid the damn things. Do you realize that you are ignoring everyone else’s experience because you want to rationalize your purchase, yes or no? Binary answer.

I suppose I’m ancient at 43 since I think “really, lol” is not not English and belongs on a teenage girl’s cellphone. Is it that fucking hard to write out a coherent thought?

Hell I'm only 45 and just hitting my prime, my wife keeps telling me a man my age needs to quit bucking so much. ???
Just a kid at heart I guess

When I bought my first AR (2000) the Accuwedge was the rage. The only difference it ever made was that it was harder to put the upper and lower together. If the Accuwedge was vital to sub MOA groups Rock River wouldn't guarantee .75 MOA without using them.
Yeah if it made a huge difference it would be known and everyone would be doing it. That being said each gun is an individual and worst case scenario, my receivers fit tightly.

Let’s try some English: everyone on here is telling you to avoid the damn things. Do you realize that you are ignoring everyone else’s experience because you want to rationalize your purchase, yes or no? Binary answer.
All I'm sayin is its worth 3$ to me to loose the slop. Remains to be seen if it will make any difference in accuracy at all, all guns are individuals. Once again it's just an experiment, gonna shoot 5x5 without and 5x5 with. Chances are there will be no difference. Sorry for offending you by using short hand very common lingo. I just found it odd how I could feel the emotion behind your posts.
My point is once again, this is a gun forum for talking about guns, just an experiment, just asking for others experiences, each gun is different. No need to be nasty to each other over such things.

It's 3$, slop is gone, I'm happy.
Gun already shoots well, it will help me with fundamentals not needing to cam the gun into position eliminating slop side to side that way.

I can't say with certainty if they are all the same but I don't think the Rock River receivers are machined to the same mil tolerances as most others.
The Elite A4 I have has zero play between the receivers and I'm not sure this would allow being able to universally interchange the upper with all lowers.
It has a very tight precise fit.

My next AR will probably be an Aero with their screw adjustment, anybody have experience with one of those?

If you don't like the Accuwedge, send it to me. I have one AR with it and one without. It sure is alot more quiet when slipping through the woods hog hunting, I don't think it does anything for accuracy either way, but it takes out the rattle.

Budgeting towards a reloading setup will do far more than trinkets like this. Every time you think about this Accuwedge or anything like it, drop $5 into your reloading fund. Tailoring a load specifically to your rifle will do far more for your accuracy than any other material thing.

If I dropped $5 in a jar every time I thought about buying some gun paraphernalia I'd have a yuge gun fund, but not be able to afford ramen noodles...

The accuwedge will not improve the GUN'S accuracy, but it may likely improve the SHOOTER'S accuracy. That's JMO....YMMV

Reactions: Drew890
All it did for me was induce malfunctions. Threw them out and gun ran fine. If you really want to take up the slop use the JP oversize pins. Those work awesome to remove any slop.