• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ace Barrels Ammo Choice

Coyote777

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2022
Texas
Just picked up a Vudoo three 60 barreled action with an Ace 1-16 20” MTU. Just wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction as far as ammo. I know every barrel is different but just wanted to see what was popular. TIA

You might want to try the faster speed SK Long Range Match or Pistol Match Special too, a buddy swears by SKLRM for his Anschutz 1710 HB. SKRM and SKPM do well in all three of my Anschutz rifles also; 1416AV, 1712AV and 1712 Silhouette.

Vudoo cuts their chambers for SK/Lapua ammo...it doesn't mean you can't use other brands, but could have some feeding/chambering issues. There are plenty of threads discussing that, a quick search or just scrolling though this section of the forum should turn them up pretty easy.

Reactions: nikonNUT
You might want to try the faster speed SK Long Range Match or Pistol Match Special too, a buddy swears by SKLRM for his Anschutz 1710 HB. SKRM and SKPM do well in all three of my Anschutz rifles also; 1416AV, 1712AV and 1712 Silhouette.

Vudoo cuts their chambers for SK/Lapua ammo...it doesn't mean you can't use other brands, but could have some feeding/chambering issues. There are plenty of threads discussing that, a quick search or just scrolling though this section of the forum should turn them up pretty easy.
Thank you sir, will do.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Short answer: Vudoo V-22 repeater's chamber was designed around Lapua Center-X ammo.

By extension, this chamber nicely accommodates other Lapua labels (Midas+, X-Act, etc.) and Lapua's "bargain" SK labels (Standard+, Rifle Match, many others) because all of them share a bullet profile and lube (a Lapua employee told me that only Extreme Polar Biathlon, which doesn't show in their rimfire lineup anymore) has/had a different lube).

Other brands - notably Eley - will often shoot very well in a Vudoo, but owners of some rifles may encounter feeding issues - hard-to-close bolt due to bullet profile and/or failure to feed from a magazine with Eley Match's flat nose. My Vudoo doesn't care for Eley labels I've tried in it; they all feed ok but the bullet jams into lands far enough that closing the bolt requires enough effort to be intrusive. A buddy of mine has two Vudoos and I know his older one shoots Eley Match very well; I don't know about the newer one.

If you haven't found it yet, there are 200 pages (!!) of posts about the V-22 repeater in a pinned thread at the top of this forum. Also, the Vudoo website hosts a number of instructional videos that new owners should watch. A Vudoo is a precision firearm which, if set up correctly, is amazing in function and accuracy. But if it is NOT set up correctly, it can be troublesome. Give yourself time to learn its personality.

Good luck.

Short answer: Vudoo V-22 repeater's chamber was designed around Lapua Center-X ammo.

By extension, this chamber nicely accommodates other Lapua labels (Midas+, X-Act, etc.) and Lapua's "bargain" SK labels (Standard+, Rifle Match, many others) because all of them share a bullet profile and lube (a Lapua employee told me that only Extreme Polar Biathlon, which doesn't show in their rimfire lineup anymore) has/had a different lube).

Other brands - notably Eley - will often shoot very well in a Vudoo, but owners of some rifles may encounter feeding issues - hard-to-close bolt due to bullet profile and/or failure to feed from a magazine with Eley Match's flat nose. My Vudoo doesn't care for Eley labels I've tried in it; they all feed ok but the bullet jams into lands far enough that closing the bolt requires enough effort to be intrusive. A buddy of mine has two Vudoos and I know his older one shoots Eley Match very well; I don't know about the newer one.

If you haven't found it yet, there are 200 pages (!!) of posts about the V-22 repeater in a pinned thread at the top of this forum. Also, the Vudoo website hosts a number of instructional videos that new owners should watch. A Vudoo is a precision firearm which, if set up correctly, is amazing in function and accuracy. But if it is NOT set up correctly, it can be troublesome. Give yourself time to learn its personality.

Good luck.
Appreciate the info! Good to know that they are using a reamer based off of round nose like Lapua and SK. So far I have bought Midas +, SK rifle match and have very little center x. Once I get the rifle from Altus we’ll see how it does. I’ve been a competitive center fire guy for years but now wanting to play in this rimfire game. I will keep researching and learning 👍🏽

I’ve been a competitive center fire guy for years but now wanting to play in this rimfire game.
Rimfire is a whole 'nother critter from centerfire, and it can be an aggravating one - mainly because of ammo, but also because the top-shelf rifles have to be set up just so. My almost-4-year-old Vudoo didn't want to feed correctly when I first got it; the issue was the Vudoo action in my particular MPA BA Comp chassis allowed almost 1/8" too much vertical travel in the magazine. It took awhile, but the answer was a new adjustable magazine latch from MPA - which is now standard on that chassis. An eighth of an inch will seldom matter in a centerfire, but the Vudoo's controlled feed of the tiny .22 round requires very tight tolerances.

Ammo is the big thing. You'll learn about testing programs available from Lapua and Eley - after you get 1000 rounds or so through your rig, you can send the barreled action in and have it tested with multiple lots of your chosen label(s). I chose to have Center-X and Midas+ tested. With 8 lots of each done, there was no surprise that Midas+ was the best by a couple of millimeters at 100 meters. Happily, the best lot of Center-X was so close that I went with it - 40% cheaper than Midas+, and I've won a bunch of from-the-bench matches with it - over guys running Midas+ and X-Act in their Vudoos, Anschutzs, and RimXs. I can't speak to how Eley's program works, but with Lapua, they make their $$ by selling a minimum of a case (5k rounds) of the chosen label (only Lapua, no SK) and they won't test a lot with which they can't fulfill your order. I got two cases of my Center-X and a buddy of mine got three cases of Midas+. I don't think they'll sell that much right now because of the shortage.

Here is a link to SH contributor Big Jim Fish's description of the Lapua test program. It's worth the read (written pre-pandemic).

Having just sold one of my centerfire rifles, I put the proceeds into a new RimX build because two buddies of mine have RimX builds that are amazing, and RimX has some interesting design features. I have an active thread about it now - the 26" Shilen ratchet barrel shoots my tested Center-X so slow that I won't run it in a match, and known slow lots of ammo are down in the 950fps range. New rimfire build headaches. It'll get sorted.

Welcome to the madness.

My older Vudoo shoots SKPM and Midas+ very well and my new one loves the lot of Midas+ I just recieved. Oddly enough niether of them is in love with Center-X 🤷‍♂️ Center-X shoots well but the Midas I have is on another level and really shines at 200 yards+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyote777
My 20” MTU ACE has one love and that is RWS.. 50 or 100 doesn’t matter. As far as sk/lapua goes, I have only found 1 lot of SKLR that was decent..with RWS the lot doesn’t seem to matter for some reason and I have been thru about 30 lots testing over the last 2.5 years. When I took my gun to Lapua they recommended I not buy anything they had on hand..that is how bad it doesn’t like lapua/sk. Thankfully it liked RWS but if you don’t find something it likes right away, keep trying.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Rimfire is a whole 'nother critter from centerfire, and it can be an aggravating one - mainly because of ammo, but also because the top-shelf rifles have to be set up just so. My almost-4-year-old Vudoo didn't want to feed correctly when I first got it; the issue was the Vudoo action in my particular MPA BA Comp chassis allowed almost 1/8" too much vertical travel in the magazine. It took awhile, but the answer was a new adjustable magazine latch from MPA - which is now standard on that chassis. An eighth of an inch will seldom matter in a centerfire, but the Vudoo's controlled feed of the tiny .22 round requires very tight tolerances.

Ammo is the big thing. You'll learn about testing programs available from Lapua and Eley - after you get 1000 rounds or so through your rig, you can send the barreled action in and have it tested with multiple lots of your chosen label(s). I chose to have Center-X and Midas+ tested. With 8 lots of each done, there was no surprise that Midas+ was the best by a couple of millimeters at 100 meters. Happily, the best lot of Center-X was so close that I went with it - 40% cheaper than Midas+, and I've won a bunch of from-the-bench matches with it - over guys running Midas+ and X-Act in their Vudoos, Anschutzs, and RimXs. I can't speak to how Eley's program works, but with Lapua, they make their $$ by selling a minimum of a case (5k rounds) of the chosen label (only Lapua, no SK) and they won't test a lot with which they can't fulfill your order. I got two cases of my Center-X and a buddy of mine got three cases of Midas+. I don't think they'll sell that much right now because of the shortage.

Here is a link to SH contributor Big Jim Fish's description of the Lapua test program. It's worth the read (written pre-pandemic).

Having just sold one of my centerfire rifles, I put the proceeds into a new RimX build because two buddies of mine have RimX builds that are amazing, and RimX has some interesting design features. I have an active thread about it now - the 26" Shilen ratchet barrel shoots my tested Center-X so slow that I won't run it in a match, and known slow lots of ammo are down in the 950fps range. New rimfire build headaches. It'll get sorted.

Welcome to the madness.
Well I’m already learning. After reading this I found out I live 45min from Eley’s test center. It’s only a 50yd test tunnel but man that would be convenient for me. Like you said and Lapua, Eley does the same on buying the ammo and it’s 2,500 minimum. Probably going to set something up after I get the barrel broke in.

Yeah I’m already seeing that in rimfire finding that right lot is king. Well I went into this rimfire deal full force I believe. This rifle that is coming is a Vudoo three 60, 20” Ace MTU 1-16, MPA matrix chassis, trigger tech diamond and topped off with Leupold Mark 5 5-25.

Again, thanks for the info 👍🏽

My 20” MTU ACE has one love and that is RWS.. 50 or 100 doesn’t matter. As far as sk/lapua goes, I have only found 1 lot of SKLR that was decent..with RWS the lot doesn’t seem to matter for some reason and I have been thru about 30 lots testing over the last 2.5 years. When I took my gun to Lapua they recommended I not buy anything they had on hand..that is how bad it doesn’t like lapua/sk. Thankfully it liked RWS but if you don’t find something it likes right away, keep trying.
That’s wild, I haven’t even heard of RWS till now. It very common for people to run?

Try all SKs my 360 loves SK match, pistol & pistol special. Even CCI standard is fine for 100m matches. I have one lot of centre X that shoots the best out of all I have, and another that is worse than CCI standard.

Reactions: Coyote777