• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ACIS 2.0 Stocks for Remington 700s

SONIC SAAMI

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2008
    Chief Paulina's Wickiup
    Sup Guys,
    Can anyone tell me if after all these years of the ACIS stock being out you still have to relieve the trigger and bolt handle area when installing it on a Rem 700?

The answers are yes!
    Hack on a new stock to get the trigger to work and the bolt handle to drop all the way down.

WTF

Re: ACIS 2.0 Stocks for Remington 700s

I guess It depends on the individual stock. My bolt works as it should and I only had to make relief for the trigger when I installed a Jewell. Sorry your experience was aggravating. A roto zip bit in a dremel takes less than a minute for the trigger relief. Can't speak for the bolt handle cut out.

are you dropping in a totally unmolested remington 700 into a new aics the way the aics instructions tell you to?

I put a bone stock MLR with that then new X-Mark trigger into a 1.5 AICS. Now that was three years ago, and that rifle with that X-Mark trigger went right in without any issues.

I just built a doctor a sub-sonic .308 on a new remington 700 with the x-mark trigger system and it dropped into the AI 2.0 without any modification.

DSCF0026Medium.jpg

The only modifications I have needed to do was to clear the non-standard safety on a Jewell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sup Guys,
    Can anyone tell me if after all these years of the ACIS stock being out you still have to relieve the trigger and bolt handle area when installing it on a Rem 700?
    The answers are yes!
    Hack on a new stock to get the trigger to work and the bolt handle to drop all the way down.
    </div></div>

Not with the stock trigger, installed a 5R into an AICS last week, for my Jewel trigger, mod was needed. I spent 5 minutes with the dremmel. Kept promising myself to get a pro looking job done by my local machinist/shooting buddy, but haven't bothered. Forgot about, realy. Don't think they have changed the chassis lately, so such a mod is probably still needed for some aftermarket triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sup Guys,

The answers are yes!

WTF </div></div>

The answer should be no for a brand new AICS 2.0 with a factory 700 barreled action. I have installed numerous 700 and 40-x rifles into aics chassis and never had to do anything with the stock. 40-x trigger, shilen trigger, x-mark trigger, old style 700 trigger, all of these dropped right in no modifications needed. As for the bolt handle, all of my 700 and 40-x had the modern swept back bolt handle and they all fit perfectly. You will see that the bolt handle cut out is made for either straight or swept back bolt handles to fit with no modifications.

I need to clarify my original post.
    If you are going to install a Stiller or a Surgeon action in a ACIS you will need to cut on the stock in order for the bolt to drop all the down.
    A stock Remington action will fit in a ACIS with out modification yes...

If installing a Jewell trigger in any configuration other than one with a bottom safety you will also need to trim the trigger well.

Its no big deal it just had me frustrated at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to clarify my original post.
    If you are going to install a Stiller of a Surgeon action in a ACIS you will need to cut on the stock in order for the bolt to drop all the down.
    A stock Remington action will fit in a ACIS with out modification yes...

If installing a Jewell trigger in any configuration other than one with a bottom safety you will also need to trim the trigger well.

Its no big deal it just had me frustrated at the time. </div></div>

you should probably edit your first post so it is informative, not sounding like you are bashing the aics. the aics was not designed for stiller or surgen actions (although my tac-30 dropped right in), it was designed for a remington 700 with a remington trigger.

I have a factory 700 SPS Tactical in a AICS 1.5 without mods to the stock. I did, however, have to file on the trigger group (the safety wouldn't disengage - as expected) for my Timney.

Again, no modifications on the 1.5 for either.

The Surgeon action requires a slight mod to the bolt opening in the AICS to allow the bolt to close properly, Stiller should be fine. As far as the trigger, depends on what you use, I remember it needed slight mods when I installed the Jewell trigger.

Kirk R