• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ackley go guage question

whycanti

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
United States
I have ordered a 260AI barrel for my Savage 10. I know that when improving a chamber the parent case go gauge becomes the no go gauge and the go is .004 shorter. Midway shows a 308 40* improved go gauge in stock and the 260 improved can be ordered. Will the 308 improved gauge work?

You should be fine.
My understanding is the go and no-go for the 243/260/308 are the same. This should apply for the AI version as well.

My Foster .308 go gauge measures 1.624 and is marked '243-308'. My PT&G 260 AI go gauge measures 1.6205 and is marked '.260 Ackley'.

My 260 AI no-go measures 1.624, same as the 308 go gauge.

If you can get the name of the manufacturer of the gauge from Midway you may want to give them a call to confirm that it will work before you order.

B

I use the go-gauge from the parent as the no-go gauge and a piece of brass as the go. When you are doing an AI, you are having to work up to your own safe pressures since most books don't publish data, and you are not going to run into an over-pressure load with factory loads because of minimum headspace in an AI chamber. Really you just need to make sure your bolt will close on brass out of your dies.