• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ackley Improved 6.5x47 Lapua

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
I met a fella that said he's working on a AI 6.5x47 Lapua and getting velocities in the 2950 range with a medium charge. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Re: Ackley Improved 6.5x47 Lapua

i would tend to doubt that it was a medium charge being since there isn't much room to "improve" the 6.5x47. But then again there is a lot more to velocity then the shape of the case. Bullet weight, barrel length, powders, bullet seating depth. But if i was to guess under identical situations i could only see you getting maybe 50fps at most out of "improved" version of the case

Nathan

This can push the 130 bergers 2950 without any pressures signs and the 139 lapuas will easily go over 2900. It might not be medium pressure but its sure not ruining cases.

I already push 130gr @ 2975fps mild load standard x47
28" barrel thou

No doubt you get some extra case capacity, but for PITA of fireforming....not seeing advantage here

The 6.5x47 already has a 30 degree shoulder and minimal body taper. Improving to 40 degrees would not net much "improvement". Probably get more "improvement" with a nice chambering job on a tight bore barrel.