• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes ACOG 6x48 First Impressions

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Needed an optic for an M2HB. They all run about $4k. Even the MGRS and Elcan HWS, etc. I'd had my sights set on (MGRS is probably the best all around M2HB sight) were cost prohibitive. So when I found this one for $1448 and one available I thought it was a mistake and wouldn't be honored, didn't have the money actually but couldn't pass it up. It was from the factory through Amazon. Well, it went through and it's a brand new scope. I did have to buy the ARD and caps, but oh well, $1600 is still cheaper than $3xxx, what this scope normally goes for. The MGO costs $4k+ and basically the same scope but with 2000m vs. 1800m BDC and few small details like instructions on the side of the scope. Both are calibrated for the same round, in this case the 619gr. .50 BMG APIT. So no reason paying $2500+ for basically the same scope, especially on a budget. And who wants to pay $4k for a damn ACOG anyway? Or a reflex sight at that? That's a top of the line S&B or a TT, etc.!

So it's a beast! Uses five screws loctited to hold the base onto the bottom of the scope. Not really at home on a carbine, it's really an MGO regardless of the flavor you buy. Recoil hardened. 5.56, 7.62, .50BMG, they all shine on belt fed guns but a bit too big, a bit too much for a shoulder fired rifle. But for an M2HB? Wow. It has huge lenses for an ACOG and it's easy to look through with both eyes open, and I'd say the BAC works better with it than others. FOV is 17ft.@100y. Weight is around 35oz., bit more I think. Doesn't sound like much but it is on top of a rifle. But on the M2HB it's not a problem. This ACOG is built much tougher than the smaller ones, it's a beast like I said. Solid. Big solid rail on top, I figured maybe one day I could put an EoTech with an XR500 reticle in it, we'll see. Flip caps and ARD are Tenebraex and installation was designed into it, no need for interfaces. The 40mm cap just snaps on the back and stays on. The front goes on the ARD and can be rotated once the ARD is snug so it'll flip open the desired direction. The entire setup is very well made and thought out.

For the price, if you can score one of these for $1448 plus the ARD and caps, and have a belt fed that could benefit from an MGO and just can't see dropping $4k on one, this is the one. The magnification is a plus since you can always put a red dot or whatever on the top rail if desired. Leaps and bounds ahead of the Elcan M145 MGO still currently issued to 240 gunners, and much better suited that kind of use that the smaller ACOGs.

May be a bit before I can take it out, but I sure as shit can't wait to and I'll get back with info abou

Magazine for size comparison:
    IMG_1009.JPG

I got one a few years back and trialed it on a HK5.56, once set up as a MasterKey clone just for fun, and LaRue OBR.
    Mounted mine on a QD LaRue. The optical glass is very good. Used it against varmints that liked digging holes in a grass runway. You might recall some had the biblical references etched on the scope as well, like this one has, and the army directive to have said references removed! You can see the RMR mounted and some target practice results. You need a friend interested in shooting one that is also willing to tote it to your final firing position.
    016LaRue OBR & Optics Photo copy.jpg
    ACOG & RMR Zeroed Targets 08,30,14-2 copy.JPG
    ACOG & RMR Zeroed Targets 08.30.14 copy.JPG
    ACOG Army Instruction to Remove Biblical Psalm references from optics copy.jpg
    DSCN1002a copy.jpg
    DSCN1007 copy.JPG
    DSCN1014a copy.jpg
    DSCN1431e copy.jpg
    DSCN1436 copy.JPG
    IMG_7419 copy.JPG

No, I didn't know about the bible verses until you mentioned it! (edit: I actually found "PSA27:1" printed on the side with the mfg. info! So it's still there, just not molded in.) I bet I have a few that have that then. Never noticed it back in 01-02 when we got the TA-01NSN's either. I guess it didn't become a controversy until the propaganda outlets got ahold of it. The new one I have here doesn't have that. I used 'em for years with out knowing or it being an issue. I came close to stumbling on it though when I called way back then about the new TA-01's we got and referenced the numbers.

That thing is a monster on an AR! I bet it does work well though. I was surprised at how clear and bright it was looking through it today. They really nailed it with this one. Having an 1800m stadia is damn nice too. The MGO has a 2000m stadia but for $2500+ more, I think I'll be okay with 1800. $1448 is what made this thing a steal and a possibility for me in the first place. Didn't really have that, but couldn't pass on it either. I've got smaller ones that probably cost that much new retail and I know there's not a better .50 BMG optic available at that price.

I really like what they did with the fiber optics on this one, I think they did something like this with the TARS or another scope they make. The heavy rubber dial determines how much light you get which is a really nice feature. The fiber optic is nice but the TA-01 was made without it specifically because it was too damn bright most of the time. This makes it perfect. The adjustments are basically like other ACOGs but you don't need a screwdriver nor is there a slot for one, instead it's got a dial with positive clicks under the tethered caps. That rail on top is begging for an EoTech, on an M2HB anyway, but I bet having some kind of dot in general with this thing is nice for up close. A Radius or other rail mount LRF would be nice too. As for night vision, it looks like it'll line up with a CNVD but I haven't checked. I'd need an extended rail to make it work anyway.

If you have a belt feeder or mounted gun, I bet this one will be hard to beat. I know a few of you have SAWs, 240's and M60's and I bet it'd work well on an MCR Fightlight upper too. I was wondering how well it'd be to keep a sight picture seated with spade grips, but I don't think it'll be a problem as big as it is. It's damn near like looking through a reflex sight, uses a 40mm ocular cap.

I have a few different ACOGs and I gotta admit this is by far their nicest one. Big, but nice. Well thought out. For a mounted belt feeder, I bet it's gonna be hard to beat. Especially if you can find another one at that price, must have been a promotion or something given it came from Trijicon.

Last edited:
    Way back in 2012, the Red Falcons (1st Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment) tested a series of machine gun optics. The issue optic at the time (and, unfortunately, still for many) was garbage (I vividly remember ripping one off a M240 in frustration because the iron sights are better, IMO).

Testing included the issue optic, the M68, the Trijicon MGO, and a couple others procured for evaluation. They fired the optics on M240 (generally the most casualty producing belt fed in a light infantry formation) for qualification as well as through tactical scenarios.

The Trijicon MGO produced the highest hit percentage in all engagements by a wide margin. We (2nd Brigade Combat Team) submitted an operational needs statement...but, number of M240 in the formation meant that request was for several million dollars worth of optics, no small ask, and not much luck.

I don’t know that it necessarily translates to the M2 family, but Trijicon has been doing a hell of a job trying to make Soldiers and Marines more lethal - at least that’s my view. Of course, shooting the standard qual course with an ACOG on your M-4 is basically cheating, as many here can attest to, I’m sure.

This one I got in 2007, combination RMR & ACOG with 800M stadia. After a LaRue mount, ARD & Tenebraex caps $4K !
    Even the RMR had a biblical reference. The teaching PowerPoint slides have an ACOG with a thru-thru round still working just fine (not in the rain though).

Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 9.53.59 PM copy.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 12.26.40 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.32.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.33.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.35.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.36.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.35.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.53.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.53.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 7.53.41 AM.png

Last edited:
    Is that powerpoint part of an SDM course? It doesn't look like the ones we handed out at Ft. Lewis. But the info on it looks familiar since TRADOC just ripped off what we were doing up here and slapped their name on it (which I'm glad they didn't give us credit, they fucked up the program, cut out all the best stuff).

I've seen that ACOG before. It must be famous.

So the 7.62 version you have is calibrated for M80 ammo. Found out both .50's are calibrated for the 619gr. projo's. Which is fine for tracers but the ball and API is closer to 647gr. Many of the 5.56 ACOGs are calibrated for 55gr., TA01 isn't, it was (at the time) the only 62gr. reticle they offered.

Went and looked on Amazon today, checking my lanolin order and cancelling a premium channel freebie before it charges, It showed the scope and had a "buy it again" button. I hit it. I can get another one for the low, low price of $2200! That's nearly $550+ more! Holy shit I scored!

The more I play with it the more I feel it's a superior MGO. Too bad the optics mount on our MG's on the goddamn feed tray cover. Unless you have some sort of large fixed mount to mount it on. Just blows the M145 out of the water, and it's a pretty nice optic for what it is. The ability to mount a full size EoTech on top is a big plus. It may look stupid, but with mounted belt feeders it ain't about the looks!

The Brits have used them on their LMT mws for years. For a heavy mg it's not bad but it's shit on an individual weapon. Way better options that don't weight as much and make the gun so top heavy. The best long range mg sight is still a pic and a LRAS.