• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Acog on 50 bmg M3HB question

B

bubbapug1

I've been using my Acog on a M3HB 50 cal gun. The sight works great, but I wanted more magnification. I've read about the issues with scopes failing on 50 cal so I called Trijicon

This is what they told me.

An Acog is rated for 1100 G's at a period of .2 milli=seconds

An Accupoint is rated for 500 G's at 1 milli second.

My question is does that mean an ACOG can handle more of a sharp load, or if the load exceeds .2 milli seconds its all over?

From the numbers it looks like the Acog handles almost twice the shock delivered in 1/5 the time, or 10 times more acceleration.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Does anyone know the recoil rating on a 50 bmg M3HB or and M2HB?

Re: Acog on 50 bmg M3HB question

You are interpreting the data correctly. The period is the time over which the load is applied.

Considering the weight and lack of brake you should be fine with either one.
Rifle_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg

Kind of a Call of Duty combo, isn't that? An ACOG on a BMG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of a Call of Duty combo, isn't that? An ACOG on a BMG?

</div></div>

That and too much Lowlight videos.

actually its a great combination if only the zoom was a bit better. Why waste a 54" barrel with iron sights? The gun is way more capable than the accuracy you could ever get with irons.

I'm not sure why the call of duty has anything to do with it unless its sarcasim of 50 cal envy, or both.

Just like I replied when you posted this exact thread over on Calguns, Why spend 3 grand on an ACOG for a .50 when for the same amount of money you can get a USO that will not only hadle the recoil impulses of the rifle just as well as the ACOG but will also give you much greater range of magnification rather than a fixed 6 power. Me personally if I had a .50cal I would mount a USO SN-3 T-Pal 5-25x58 scope on it. Or if I really wanted to get into the extreme long range game, distances further than 1,500 meters, I would mount an SN-9 with the 80mm objective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbapug1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually its a great combination if only the zoom was a bit better. Why waste a 54" barrel with iron sights? The gun is way more capable than the accuracy you could ever get with irons.

I'm not sure why the call of duty has anything to do with it unless its sarcasim of 50 cal envy, or both. </div></div>A little .50 cal envy here, though I do remember needing to get a certain amount of kills to be able to upgrade to the ACOG in MW2!

All joking aside, I was ignorant of the M3HB model gun. I pictured more of your Barret or Tac-50 type gun. I didn't realise it was a MG.

I apologise!

-BM

I've seen a couple of guys run like this before and it does seem to work quite well - i've built up a couple with the EoTechs as well

I've shot the 50 specific ACOG on an M82. It is totally badass. Loved it.

Wouldn't know about some video game wanker perspective - too busy shooting the real deal.

I might give that USO a try. 600 yards at angeles is exactly what I want the scope for. I have been buying my acogs from SWFA so a new ACOG only costs $799.00 I love the glass on them and they are tough as nails. But the 4x just is not good enough at 600 yards and can't begin to do the M3 barrel justice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just like I replied when you posted this exact thread over on Calguns, Why spend 3 grand on an ACOG for a .50 when for the same amount of money you can get a USO that will not only hadle the recoil impulses of the rifle just as well as the ACOG but will also give you much greater range of magnification rather than a fixed 6 power. Me personally if I had a .50cal I would mount a USO SN-3 T-Pal 5-25x58 scope on it. Or if I really wanted to get into the extreme long range game, distances further than 1,500 meters, I would mount an SN-9 with the 80mm objective.</div></div>

Have you looked at Trijicons 6X machinegun sight with big field of view and ballistic reticle for .50?

Håkan

I want something with a bit more zoom that a 6x scope. A regular acog does fine on a M2, eye relief isn't an issue really. But if you want to shoot a 600 yards out 6x just is not going to get you very far. I think a 4 x 16 would be perfect.