• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG TA01B or EOTech?

Tai_Mai_Shu

Private
Minuteman
I just bought a DS Arms Para Elite Compact (308) which looks just like the one in the pic. I added the Pic Ext Scope rail along with the front rail handguard. I have used the EOtech's or the years but I like the idea of having a little power since it's being mounted on a 308 platform. The weapon has a 13" barrel with a 11" twist just like my SAKO TRG. Anyone have any thoughts about the ACOG, I have never used one, but do like the idea of a tactical 4x scope that can take abuse as opposed to a standard EO Tech with no power. Thanks

ewecp.jpg

Mike

Re: ACOG TA01B or EOTech?

The thing to consider with the AGOG's is the very short eye relief. Have you looked at a NF 1-4, or a USO 1-4, 4x, 1.5-6, or a 6x. These scopes will take ALOT of abuse and keep on keep' on, and they have exposed turrets if you need them and a "1" power (the variables at least).

But hey, if you can get over the eye releif, and it's what you want, then buy it!!

I have used both during LE operations, and I find the use of the eotech more suitable for my needs which is mostly inside houses and along the perimeter. I see that you mentioned the gun was a 308 and you would like to reach out to further distances, for that I would recommend the 3x eotech magnifier (they make a 4x but i have not used it) on a good mount as the standard flip mount I find to be a little flimsy. So now you get the best of both worlds, CQ and LR distances. I have also used acog rco models with the mini red dots on top and the cheek weld is pretty non existant as far as the AR platform is concerned, but on the above mentioned weapon you could possibly add a cheekpiece.

btw, ive heard people complaining about the reticle being too big while using the magnifer, but i have not had an issue with it and was able to ring steel 400yds out, but whatever floats you boat!

Just a piece of advice; TRY IT!

There are endless solutions for different needs out there, I personally run with an Aimpoint M3 and a 4X ACOG with a 7 moa Docter on top for my 2 different fav setups, but thats because I spent forever to find what works for ME.
Reading and doing all that research in here, other forums and in shops is great for deciding a few alternatives based on need and want, but the final decision should be based on a real test, especially when involving that price range.
Aimpoint vs Eotech vs Acog vs whatever...so many people around have them that to try the different setups shouldnt take more than hanging around the local range a bit and asking nicely to have a closer look when someone shows up with a nice setup.

Great truck btw
wink.gif

John - out

FAL's aren't the most scope friendly of rifles to start with . The cheek weld is set up for iron sights so getting lined up on a scope is tricky . This is especially evident on the para stocked guns , I have both a straight stock and a para rifle from DSA .

In the end it comes down to what you are going to use it for . The EO Tech is great out to about 150 to 200 yds and the ACOG's work best from about 50 out to 5 - 600 depending on target size .

Thanks everone on the input. I have a friend that has a ACOG, I talked with him and he said he would bring his to the range the next time we go so I can see how I like it. I think that will give me a better understanding of what I'm looking at.

I also thought about adding the magnifier to an EO tech too. The only hold back is, that It looks like it would make the rifle even more heavy by adding it. I haven't heard about the flip out mount being weak, I may have to do some more research on the EO Tech's mounting system.

If I do decide to go with the ACOG, I'll end up going with the Larue ACOG mount, I understand it's the best for the ACOG. Thanks again for responses.

Mike

If you decide against the ACOG, give an Aimpoint a try as well, and compare it with the Eotech.
Those two are in the same class, its mainly personal preference that seperates them, but Aimpoint have been out there for a long time and I think that counts for something.
Make sure you get/try the 2 MOA dot as it will be more than bright enough on higher settings and still very accurate out to 100-150 yds on lower settings without magnifier.
Its great for bursts/FA fire as well, easy to pick up through recoil.
Mine is mounted all the way forward on the receiver and gives me a dot floating in thin air when shooting both eyes open.
I have no issues whatsoever grouping "rapid aimed" SA-fire at 100+ with the Aimpoint that should in most cases get the job done...

Regarding magnifier mounts no matter Eotech or Aimpoint; get a LaRue or similar flip-to-side mount that locks/keeps the magnifier out of the way by means of springs but still secured on the weapon when not used (flipped aside).
These are fairly expensive but will be worth it.Twist-off mounts have certain uses but chances are that sooner or later the magnifier will be dropped or lost during or after removal from weapon.
Changing between distances is also way more time-consuming with a twist-mount.

The ACOG with the Docter is a compromise, ACOG zeroed at 100 and BDC reticle to 600, and Docter zeroed at 30.
Use Docter out to like 70-80 yds (its a 7MOA dot) and ACOG from there.
ACOG is a bit slower due to eye relief issue and the fact that it is a scope so there will be a little black edging if eye is not about centered, but its the least amount I recall ever seeing in a scope.
As a combo its great because it covers both short- and medium-range rapid fire and medium-range well aimed fire.
The relatively fine BDC reticle that can be a bit hard to make out on certain backgrounds takes a little getting used to but its one of the best out there that I have tried.
These are my personal opinions though, make up your own by trail rather than error
wink.gif

Good luck on your decisions; whatever you choose, I hope you become happy with it.

John - out