• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG TA31DOC or ECOS

Lonewolf762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2005
Netherlands.
At the moment i have a ACOG TA01NSN but i have some trouble seeing the reticle on some of the tactical targets, to solve this problem i am looking into an other scope with a more lighted reticle.
The TA31 DOC and ECOS use the BAC technologie and should solve this problem but i heared some guys have trouble with using these scopes accurate.
It will be use for semi precision and i need a combat scope so scopes like the Leupolds and NXS will not fill this slot. Thanks for any advice and info.

Re: ACOG TA31DOC or ECOS

You will notice a huge difference if you switch to either option. The addition of illumination provided by the fiber optics is nothing short of amazing. I use a TA50-2 for work and would could not be happier.

+1 on getting an ACOG with the fiber optic light amplification.

I have an ACOG (TA01B I think) that does not have FO illumination and during the day it is just pretty fine black crosshairs. Not the greatest for rapid sight acquisition but a bit more precise for long range precision than the FO models I have used. During low light is when the reticle glows enough to notice from the tritium.

I also have a couple TA31 ACOGs with the FO in them and during the day the reticle is very bright and easy to pick out. Makes rapid sight acquisition very simple. Get one with the crosshairs and the Doc optic on it and you are good to go. Like this one: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=501&back_row=4&categoryID=3

Personally I am a big fan of the ACOGs. They are pricey but you can find them for almost 50% off from time to time un-used. I have done a couple year+ deployments with them and have only seen one break out of hundreds used daily in harsh conditions. Pretty sure that guy messed his up trying to zero and didn't know how so he exceeded the travel limits of the adjusters.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

The TA31 family are my favorite ACOGS. I've got a shipment of TA31ECOS models due in 3-4 weeks. A few of them are already spoken for. If you want a price, send me a PM. I sell them too low to advertise. Thanks!

Donnie

I use both the TA01NSN (with a JPoint red dot mounted piggyback) and a TA31RCO-M4. The illuminated chevron of the TA31 really dominates the sight picture and is accurate if the target is at your zero distance on the point of the chevron (100 yards). However, the holdover for 200 yards is in the middle of the chevron and 300 yards is at or near the bottom. As a result, "accuracy" from 100 to 300 yards is a little difficult, since there are no range fiducials (marks).

The TA01NSN has BDC holdovers for 100, 200,... 600m, but they are for a specific cartridge, M4 barrel, and atmospheric conditions. I live at 4800ft ASL in NV, where the station pressure is usually 25.3" Hg, so the TA01's BDC doesn't work well anyway.

So you have to choose between having the TA01's BDC that might be more accurate in your situation, or the TA31's bright chevron than is faster to use. I use my ACOGs for hunting out to 300 yards and prefer the bright chevron.

PS If you want more precision, look at the Leupold 1.5-5x Mk4 MR/T with the SPR reticle. It has 1/2 MOA clicks and exposed turrets, and the illuminated (not useful in full daylight) reticle is excellent. The downside for the Leupold, NF and S&B Short Dot scopes is that that are much larger and heavier than an ACOG. The Leupold is a bit smaller than the others in the same category and less expensive too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The TA01NSN has BDC holdovers for 100, 200,... 600m, but they are for a specific cartridge, M4 barrel, and atmospheric conditions. I live at 4800ft ASL in NV, where the station pressure is usually 25.3" Hg, so the TA01's BDC doesn't work well anyway.

So you have to choose between having the TA01's BDC that might be more accurate in your situation, or the TA31's bright chevron than is faster to use. I use my ACOGs for hunting out to 300 yards and prefer the bright chevron.
</div></div>

Thanks for all the input.
Thats why my interest goes to the TA31 ECOS as that one has the same christmas tree reticle as the TA01 NSN but where the 100, 200 and 300 meter marks are permanently lighted.
I will use this scope out on my service rifle with NATO ammo only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bear308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know its heavy but what do you all think of the Elcan spencer DR 1-4?? </div></div>

I used that one last year, normal Army optics is the Elcan C79 so using the Specter was a plus agains the normal Elcans we use. But at the end of the day its still a Elcan with its losing zero problems.