• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG with BDC which one is best for the $

ean anderson

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Utah, Bering Sea
I know this question has been probly asked before but I can not find it. what is the best ACOG for the price that has the 223/5.56 with 55grn FMJ bdc but not all of the other whistles and bells. Can you get the bdc in another bullet/velosity configuration or are they just universal. just what a base model with a bdc out to someware between 600 and 800 yards to mount on my ar 15. what is your opinion of the ACOG's in reilability and clarity. I know alot of the military use them but are they worth the cost of arround $1000. is there a better mediam range optic that is comparable.

Re: ACOG with BDC which one is best for the $

I have played with a couple. How far out are you looking to shoot?
Imho it does have its place but a red dot holographic sight will get you more bang for your buck.

Even a lower cost 1-4 scope option and a a holographic sight combo works better.

ACOGs are pretty dang tough.. they aren't really a precision optic either and have really simple adjustments.

I personally ended up with the TA33G-H, it has the green horse shoe reticle and is setup for 5.56 out to 600 yards. I've used it at 300 and it works as advertised and gets hits on target. The eye relief and eye box on the TA33 is awesome.

Learning an RDS is a lot easier than the ACOG, but you can be just as fast with the ACOG if you practice. The Bindon aiming concept really works with practice and becomes second nature.

If you're shooting 55 grain bullets the TA01 is your optic.
It's calibrated for the 55 out of an M16(20" barrel).

800 yards is quite a stretch for an Acog, IMHO. I'm not sure you're looking at the right line of scopes for that sort of distance unless you are shooting at big targets.

I have an ACOG USMC RCO-M4 (4 power) and I'll say that targets at that sort of range are essentially impossible for me to shoot. Of course, I'm also using a 14.5" M4 with no bipod, which factors into that equation somewhat.

I have a TA-33 and still like it. I've only shot it out to 500, and hit what I was shooting at. The glass is great, it's tough as hell, and it works for me at what I need it for. It's small and light compared to a lot of the ACOGs I've played with, and the eye relief is forgiving.

But now with so many low power variables available, I'm not sure I'd go with it as a primary optic for anything. I bought it to keep within the size limitations for our rifle racks in our cars. Now I'd likely go with a nice LPV.

I was issued one in Iraq and bought one when I got home back in '05 (TA31F - the red chevron 4 power). They are tops for clarity and durability, really a great little optic for what they are in my opinion. However, shooting out to 600 or 800 with them isn't ideal in my experience. Sure you can get hits but it's just not the best tool for that job.

It sounds like you want the TA01, which is the base model of sorts, no fiber optic on it so the reticle is all black in the daytime (does still have tritium illum red at night). BDC out to 800.

I honestly wouldn't have spent that kind of money on one but I wanted to build a "repro" of my issued M4. I do like it, I would just buy something else for that role for that kind of $$$.