• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Acoustic chronograph

Rifles Only

Jacob
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2001
A Mil Left
https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/...perchrono.html

This is the link to a new chronograph recently tested at Rifles Only. This is an acoustic chronograph that does not depend on lighting or a small reading area. I shot a 308 over it as we'll as +P handgun. This unit read every time. I also tested it down range at the target. I am sold on this unit. It fits in your glove box or pack, has no wires and is intuitively easy to use.
Check it out!

Jacob

The cost is only $349. And it is actually pretty badass! Takes up hardly any room and all you have to do is turn it on. You can lay it on the ground right infront of your barrel or put it on a tripod (recommended on surfaces such as wood as the acoustics bounce off the wood and give you a slower reading). For what you are getting the price is pretty dang good :)

Bud tried it carefully against calibrated chrono, constant 80-100 fps error with all 3 calibers.

Oh geez! JL, can you elaborate at all? I just ordered one but didn't get it to the range this weekend to direct compare to the shooting chrony. Thanks.

I ran it today by the printed instructions, then tested those velocities at 300, 500, and 1000 with two different ballistic calculators. i also used two Kestrels to input the correct environmentals. It was within .1 mil at 1000. 300 and 500 were spot on.
The unit must be level to the path of the bullet. Deviations in that can cause false readings because it puts the sensors closer together than they should be.

So is this similar to the same thing Cory T used at gunsite? Just wondering and if you have shot over it and distance or if you can? Sorry for stupid questions just wanting to know, I have an Oehler chronograph and was wanting to try to use this down range if I could to double check velocities.

Thanks

Wolfmann this is the same principal for registering the bullets that CoryT, KnS Ballistics (myself and another member here), and Applied Ballistics (Bryan Litz) have used for long range bullet testing. However, this unit does not provide enough distance between the microphones to give any "lag time" to indicate ballistic coefficient. The purpose of the chronographs are inherently different.

As compared to a MagnetoSpeed, this acoustic method has a distinct "pro" but several "cons" in comparison

The pro being that if you want to shoot lead bullets over it, the machine will still pick it up and the MagnetoSpeed is going to have a lot of trouble if not downright fail.

Cons being:

Subsonic ammunition is fussy and unreliable for getting accurate numbers
Alignment, like all light based chronos, is critical
Muzzle blast may or may not screw with the acoustic sensors in this one depending how far away you are, caliber size, etc.

Compared to the magnetospeed (which I personally have been VERY happy with)

Once basic alignment is setup on the gun it can be shot with for many many rounds at any attitude or location and the magnetic hall effect sensor approach will give reliable readings for any cupronickel or ferritic component bullet. Lead is, as mentioned above, a hit or miss item.
Subsonic ammo with jacketed bullets work without issue on the magnettospeed

Neither of them do archery or air rifles well. BB guns on the magnetospeed seem to work but those are steel BB's, precision lead pellets don't work no matter what I do with the settings.

Considering the difference in price tag, about $25, I'm more inclined to keep my MagnetoSpeed V2 than to go with this unit for precision rifle work. For pistols, ehhh... I have an old Chrony that does arrows, pellet rifles and pistols equally well and registers to +/-0.5% error so for something going <1000fps that's pretty darn close.