• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Acquired a R700 Mountain Rifle.....

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    Any thoughts on these things? I picked it up for a price and a purpose which did not involve shooting it as it sits. Anyhow I was piddling with it today while considering putting it into the barrel/action vise to get started. The barrel is VERY thin on this thing and its gotta be a stomper as its a 30-06. I kinda wanna go throw down some rounds on her to see how she does but with that thin of a barrel I would say its a 1shot group gun....

I know most people here are into the heavies but has anyone put their 30-06 on paper to see how they shoot? I was in the market for a long stainless action with 30-06 bolt face to build another 280AI on but this thing has my interest up a bit.

Re: Acquired a R700 Mountain Rifle.....

Can't speak for 30-06, but mine in 7-08 shoots around an inch at 100 yards. Yeah, it's light and I'm sure it will deliver a wollop from the bench, but it's a dream to carry in the woods! Recoil is nothing from offhand, of course.

Mine's a 260...shoots awesome for at least 3 shots.

IMG_0380.jpg

I did have to adjust the scope right a bit with a new lot of 120gr NBTs, however...

My Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 that's gotta weigh around 7lbs scoped was all I had to shoot for awhile before getting a heavier barreled rifle. I used to shoot paper every opportunity I had. Was able to probably put 3-6 rounds (ambient temperature dependent obviously) though with a minute or two between before groups were affected. It has ranged 1/2 MOA to 2 MOA dependent upon which factory ammo was used. Average though is probably 1MOA.

Still had fun shooting it though.

My Brother has a .280 that shoots great .75 at 100yd with factory ammo. wanted me to reload for it, but i could not beat what he had. He didn't load so i told him to buy about 10 boxes and have at it. Only shoots it on his Elk hunt in Utah, gets one every year. It was one of the first ones out and a great shooter for the first 3 shots. Just go shoot it and see.

Mine is a 270win and is 20 years old. It shoots better than moa at 100 yards with my hand loads, so long as I let the barrel cool a bit between shots. I've got a 308 that shoots better groups, but I rarely need more than 1 when hunting. The 270 weighs about 1/2 what the 308 weighs so it is a no-brained to take the mountain rifle hunting- especially if I am hiking anywhere.

Plan on mounting a Leup on her this AM to see how she does. Might be worth leaving it as it is. Looks just like Boilers 260 which I would probably give my right nut for cause I would bet it weighs less than my Model 7 260.

This is a stock 700 30.06. Factory sporter barrel. Ten shots sighting in. A couple to center then 7 more follow-ups. Shot this string in about 5 minutes. 06's can shoot. Hand loads btw.

edt: I did bed it and give it a Timney trigger.

IMG_3450.jpg

Here's my stock 700 .30-06 sporter shooting core-lokts. Hole on the right was a sight-in shot.

clover.jpg

I would love to find one of these in 260rem.
    A friend of mine has one that is a 3 round tack driver.

I picked up one in 300 WSM before I had it completely overhauled. It kicked like a mule and wasn't too fun to shoot. With handloads the best I was able to get was about 3/4" groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine's a 260...shoots awesome for at least 3 shots.

IMG_0380.jpg

I did have to adjust the scope right a bit with a new lot of 120gr NBTs, however... </div></div>

Is that stock off of a Savage 12BVSS?

^^^No, that is a 700 mountain LSS. Remington and savage stocks are not interchangeable.

Poke, I've got a couple 700 mountain rifles. I usually find with handloads I get 3 shots in the .7-.8 range and 5 shots in the 1-1.25 range. In progress right now is a 280 mountain punched ackley. I have a B&C mountain ADL (to become BDL) on order and the blasted barreled action in the paint stage. I figured the end weight to 6.3 to 6.5 lbs depending on what scope I decide to run. I wouldn't hunt with anything else but the 700 mountain.

My dad picked up my mountain 7mm-08 last deer season and now he wants it, bad. I think when the 280 AI is done he'll get the 7-08. Keep it as is, you'll love it.