• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Acraglas Gel Harden Time

vaeevictiss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Virginia
I have used regular acraglas to bed a rifle before, and as you know that stuff has a violent reaction, gets very hot, and hardens up rather quickly.

I just now bedded a rifle with acraglas gel as i have read people seem to like it more. I know they say working time is longer (25 mins) but its been 2-3 hours and the stuff is still very tacky (not as liquidy, but tacky enough to push the end of a tongue depressor into some excess and hold the shape). Is this normal for the gel? just worried and want to make sure i did it correct. I measured and mixed the parts exactly as recommended so i know that much of it was correct at least. Im hoping this is just how the gel version works.

I used it been quite a while though. Seems like it was slow to harden. Give it a day or two at 70deg. If not hard by then remove it and start over. You wouldn't be the first. Devcon is popular now.

Ya it seems there was nothing to worry about. I just checked it again before getting in bed and its gotten pretty damn hard. I'll pull it apart (hopefully lol) tomorrow after work and it should be solid by then

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Took at least 24 hours I think before I felt comfortable removing the action last time I used it. Definitely prefer Devcon.

Use Devcon next time. Even though Acraglass is sold as bedding material, it's nowhere near as good as Devcon for bedding. It's basically a lightweight composite material, versus Devcon which is an engineered metal-filled epoxy which will be more stable and durable over time.

-matt

Yea i pulled it apart after about 24 hours and it fits like a glove. The lug is very tight now. It did take a good bit of cleanup as i put it on pretty heavy, but nothing a dremel couldn't do.

I will look into the devcon if this doesn't perform well for whatever reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2