• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Acriglas Sucks

ajwcotton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
Back in KS
This stuff goes from liquid to completely hard in about 20 minutes. It doesn't stiffen up at all before it gets hard either.
Just ranting since I get to do this bedding job over again.

Re: Acriglas Sucks

I'm out of marine tex and had this acriglas sitting around and I really wanted to get this rifle done. Now I have to go get the marine tex and scrape the dried bedding off to do it again.

I used Devcon and that's all I'll ever use. Never tried Marinetex, but Devcon worked great the first time so no sense reinventing the wheel.

Sounds like your mix ratio was a ways off, or your work area was really hot. When you did mixed it up did you also remember to add some chopped glass fiber, or wood fiber? If you didn't the stuff is much more likely to crack or shatter.

I mixed it exactly 4:1 and added the included fiberglass. The only thing I can think of is that the washer/dryer are in the garage and the dryer was on. I know heat really messes with it. when I picked up the cup that I mixed it in it was almost too hot to handle.

Epoxy resin systems are exothermic meaning that they generate heat as part of the chemical reaction process that is the cure. This heat you felt is likely not from the dryer but almost entirely from the resin system reacting. Heat from an external source will speed it up and depending how you had it sitting (in a cup or a blob ) will affect how much heat is trapped in the materials and how hot it will get. The warmer it gets the faster it cures. Some epoxy systems come with disposal warnings about fires being started.

Also when you mixed it did you mix by weight or volume? Some systems specify different mixing ratios depending if you go by weight our volume. If you did it backwards accidentally it is easy to make it up in such a easy that it cures very fast or not at all.

I personally don't like acraglass and prefer to use Devcon but that is a whole other topic.

Mixing larger batches of epoxy in a cup is a bad idea, since it can lead to a runaway reaction and unpredictable behavior. Instead, spread it out flat. A piece of glass works really well for this task, and a smooth plastic cutting board will also work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mixed it exactly 4:1 and added the included fiberglass. The only thing I can think of is that the washer/dryer are in the garage and the dryer was on. I know heat really messes with it. when I picked up the cup that I mixed it in it was almost too hot to handle. </div></div>

Seems like the acriglass i used was a 1:1 mix, but it didn't come with any fiberglass.

Consider mixing it in a cup sitting in a water bath...maybe with an ice cube added. I personally have found it to be too brittle. Devcon works. Every time. Repeat...every time. Repeat...every time..even when it is out of shelf time. Life is too short for second rate materials.JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This stuff goes from liquid to completely hard in about 20 minutes. It doesn't stiffen up at all before it gets hard either.
Just ranting since I get to do this bedding job over again. </div></div>

Been using ACRAGLAS since 1975. If you know the tricks of using it, it's really good stuff. First M1A I used it on went through 2 1/2 barrels with the bedding in it. If you want an easier out, use Marine Tex, it's very popular. If you want the way to clean up any excess slop, use White vinegar on a cloth. Cleans up nicely. At the moment I'm fixing an old 03A3 stock with it and I know how strong it is.

Tricks to using ACRAGLAS:
Be advised, ACRAGLAS is very fluid and it's one of the reasons I like it. If flows into footings better then anything else I've tried from DEVCON, FENWALL, ACRAGELL, STEELBED and even Marine Tex.

But, because it is so fluid, you need to make sure that you build proper dams with modeling clay (available from Brownells) or even Play dough which I've used. Also take care to fill anything in the metal of the rifle you're working with to make sure the ACRAGLAS does NOT flow into it. On a 14 type, I take great care to fill anyplace I don't want bedding compounds to flow (which also includes just about any rifle you'd bed).

Use the release compounds carefully, layer it like a nice coat of paint, do NOT glob it on. I use release compound freely and Brownells now has aerosol release compounds I haven't tried yet.

Take great care when you mix it. Pay attention to the 4 in 1 mix. When you do mix it, it should have an amber color and you'll note it warms in the cup. Either pay very close attention to the measurements on the medicine cup, or you can get generic oral syringes from Brownells, or your local pharmacy (CVS here) or even get some oral syringes from your vet, or just syringes without the needles. It helps.

Take great care not to put to much on, because if you do you will get slop, but while still wet or unset, you'll be able to clear this away with white vinegar.

ACRAGLAS has it's place and I still like it, but since I'm not perfect, I've had an ops on occasion. But it works well. At this point in time, Marine Tex is very popular, but it to has it's "tricks". Most of the above are available from Brownells. I use the catalog, web site isn't quite there yet.

One more serious note about any epoxy based bedding compounds (and there are quite a few). Temp is a major factor given that some of the compounds will crystallize when to cool. It is best to use most when 70 or higher. Than allow the temp to stay stable to allow proper setting of the compound.

And second note:
Since I normally work mainly on service rifles (my preference), when doing something like a 14 type or an M1, I do it in stages since I actually READ the instructions the first time I used it. 15 minutes is not enough time to properly bed a M1 or 14 type, so I do it in stages and it's worked just fine for 37 years. But this is notes on ACRAGLAS. All the bedding compounds have their quirks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mixed it exactly 4:1 and added the included fiberglass. The only thing I can think of is that the washer/dryer are in the garage and the dryer was on. I know heat really messes with it. when I picked up the cup that I mixed it in it was almost too hot to handle. </div></div>

temp is an issue as I've noted. But the getting "Warm" or hot is normal. The compounds are starting to set up properly. ACRAGLAS is slightly tricky, but once you know it, most of us love it. I tend to put a touch more flux is than normal. AS I've noted, I shot out 2 1/2 barrels on the first Devine I owned. Never touched that bedding up once. And yes, I clean and maintain my rifles. With a Gas gun, it's best to know how to get them out of the stock without damaging the bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Devcon and that's all I'll ever use. Never tried Marinetex, but Devcon worked great the first time so no sense reinventing the wheel.
</div></div>

I've had to use DEVCON on Milspec M14 match grading, never touch it again. Dislike it as much as Fenwall. Marine Tex is nicer, but I do like the standard Brownells bedding compounds also. Yes, I've worked on M14s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mixing larger batches of epoxy in a cup is a bad idea, since it can lead to a runaway reaction and unpredictable behavior. Instead, spread it out flat. A piece of glass works really well for this task, and a smooth plastic cutting board will also work. </div></div>

Just mixed up a 2/3rds of the measuring cup with ACRAGLAS and it worked just fine. BUT, I understood the application I was using it for and had no problems. I've used it for 37 years.

There is instructions on using it, and there is a time limit to when it will start setting up. No weird reactions, it's the compounds doing what they're supposed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rojkoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ajwcotton said:
Use the release compounds carefully, layer it like a nice coat of paint, do NOT glob it on. I use release compound freely and Brownells now has aerosol release compounds I haven't tried yet.
</div></div>
I used their aerosol release agent recently when bedding an M1 Carbine. It worked perfectly.

Cheers,
Richard

I like the devcon paste. Just finisged doing a 300 win mag in a manners. Used a spray on release agent, first time for me on that. I was really impressed. Worked flawlessly, and cleaned up easily, just squirt with rem oil and wipe off. Came completely clean!! Was called MR312.

I too learned that about acraglas. Devcon is way better but make sure it is nice and warm before you mix it or else the air bubbles will be a BITCH!!!!!! I want to try Marine Tex on my next bedding job. Ive heard its even better than Devcon.

I have used it one time, and didn't care for it's consistency. I moved on to Brownells Steel, and works great, but rich for my blood. Next up was Devcon, and again, I really liked it. Just because I saw a very well respected individual using Marine Tex, I gave that a try. Been using it ever since.