• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Act of kindness

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
I may be a somewhat critical of police based on my experience, but this is something I wish would be shown more often.

Re: Act of kindness

I saw that earlier from a facebook post and it is still memorable. We could only hope that all of the LE world were like this. Please say thanks to our boys in blue when you see them.

There is nothing hypocritical about this. The fact that there are only 4 replies to this is a testament to what folks are really interested in. If it were a "cop gone bad" post, you can bet the usual flys would be circling the pile, only to reinforce how they "feel" cops really are. But, since this goes against common threads, it will collect dust.

This officer and the deputy in a TSA related post, are what police are really about. Its what makes me proud to be in this line of work. Politics and administators are not the feet on the street. But there are folks here that will not hesitate to slam that officer simply because he is NYPD and NY laws are not what we would like to see, regardless of what kind acts he does.

When you participate in and see these kinds of acts often, there really isn't much that compels a person to stop and praise someone for being a decent human..... Acts such as this should be expected, not celebrated. The people who do these good deeds do not expect or want praise. You can pretend like it has something to do with police officers all you want, but truth is that is bull shit. This wouldn't even make for conversation if he weren't an NYPD officer. The reason it does make conversation is because the officer belongs to a group who is notorious for quite the opposite interaction with the public.

If by notoriety you mean what the media lets you know, then you sir are uninformed. What this officer did was not expected of him. There is no policy for ANY angency, nor is there a law that exists, that requires such an act. If this is something expected, then you, me and everyone else is required to do it as well. This was not an officer just doing his job. He went beyond it.

To you, because he is a cop, is what make this act mean less than what it is. Your bias towards LE, something you have demonstrated in previous posts, is what makes you minimize this act to be considered a part of his duty, which it is not. There is no pretending going on. If you take the amount of average Joe people (non-LE) who do stuff like this with respect to the population they are a part of, then compare it to LEOs who do the smae act, with respect to that population, I am pretty sure the ratio of LEOs will be a lot higher than the average Joe, so yeah, being a cop probably has a little something to do with it.

If you were watching, this officer did nothing in the way of asking, requesting, or demanding respect or recognition. Yes, acts like this happen on a daily basis with people who are not LE. Are you going to run around every website you can to minimize it as something that happens all the time? Or, are you only going to put fourth the effort if the recognition involves a cop? I guess those moved by this act are all just fools for not realizing how common this is and that its expected of everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you take the amount of average Joe people (non-LE) who do stuff like this with respect to the population they are a part of, then compare it to LEOs who do the smae act, with respect to that population, I am pretty sure the ratio of LEOs will be a lot higher than the average Joe, so yeah, being a cop probably has a little something to do with it.</div></div>

Hey brother, not everyone who didn't decide to become an LEO as a profession is what I would consider an "average joe". The fact that you denigrate the "civilian" population by noting them as simply average is wrong and what invites scrutiny.

Furthermore, there are far more people who are not cops than there who are, so of course the numbers would be skewed — that is if anyone were keeping track of said numbers.

What the man (not cop, not civi - it's a job not an identity) did was stand up. I know people from all walks of life who would have, and have done the same for their brothers and sisters. I know those who don't.

The key here is to be part of team gives a shit about his/her fellow man.

What's sad is that we all recognize this as an action that is alien and unexpected. This should be the rule that we all expect not the exception that is unexpected and garners press. Though the action is laudable and heartwarming, that fact that we're talking about it is a sad statement of where we are as a society.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you take the amount of average Joe people (non-LE) who do stuff like this with respect to the population they are a part of, then compare it to LEOs who do the smae act, with respect to that population, I am pretty sure the ratio of LEOs will be a lot higher than the average Joe, so yeah, being a cop probably has a little something to do with it.</div></div>

Hey brother, not everyone who didn't decide to become an LEO as a profession is what I would consider an "average joe". The fact that you denigrate the "civilian" population by noting them as simply average is wrong and what invites scrutiny.

Furthermore, there are far more people who are not cops than there who are, so of course the numbers would be skewed &#151; that is if anyone were keeping track of said numbers.

What the man (not cop, not civi - it's a job not an identity) did was stand up. I know people from all walks of life who would have, and have done the same for their brothers and sisters. I know those who don't.

The key here is to be part of team gives a shit about his/her fellow man.
</div></div>
You completely missed my point. There was no denigrating being done. I was not speaking in numbers, I was speaking in percentages. The same would go for many, many other professions as well. Point being, that percentage wise, the profession does dictate that an act such as this is more likely to happen.

Also, I never, in any way, spoke down on anyone who is not a LEO. If there was anyone denigrating someone, it was ATHHUD, stating that being a cop has nothing to do with it and considering the thought as bullshit. Yes, there are many many other people out there performing acts like this. But, because ATHHUD has some bias against LE, and he and I have butted heads in the past, he feels the need to down play and minimize this act. Of coarse trying to make a childish dig on the pride I displayed in my first post also seems to be a typical M.O. for him as well. I am sure if it were an electrician, or a cattle salesman, or anything else but a cop, this conversation wouldnt have gone this way. And THAT is the truth.

Oh, High Binder, I agree. It is sad that stuff like this is considered refreshing, but I think thats what this society needs. Perhaps if folks stopped down playing on stuff like this and making it sound so generic, it will se an example for everyone to go by.

If there is a problem here, and I don't think there is; it is with our collective attitudes, and not with these individuals' actions.

I see no call for surprise when LE does a good thing, any more so than for any other sort of individual. Honestly, if I did something like that and received praise, I'd be surprised; but pleasantly. I think LE could stand a good bit more of that sort of surprise.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If by notoriety you mean what the media lets you know, then you sir are uninformed. What this officer did was not expected of him. There is no policy for ANY angency, nor is there a law that exists, that requires such an act. If this is something expected, then you, me and everyone else is required to do it as well. This was not an officer just doing his job. He went beyond it. </div></div>

If you weren't so fucking blind with hate, you might see that I said "Should be expected"! Who said anything about law or policy? Went beyond his job? No shit, thanks for stating the obvious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To you, because he is a cop, is what make this act mean less than what it is. Your bias towards LE, something you have demonstrated in previous posts, is what makes you minimize this act to be considered a part of his duty, which it is not. There is no pretending going on. If you take the amount of average Joe people (non-LE) who do stuff like this with respect to the population they are a part of, then compare it to LEOs who do the smae act, with respect to that population, I am pretty sure the ratio of LEOs will be a lot higher than the average Joe, so yeah, being a cop probably has a little something to do with it.
</div></div>

You are so wrapped up in your hate for anyone that doesn't bow to law enforcement, that you are oblivious to what I actually wrote. In no way did I say his act meant less because he is an NYPD officer. The reason you truly believe I did is because you put him on the biggest damn pedestal in existence. Rather than belittle his actions, I simply consider him an equal to the others that are so benevolent. You can't see that because your opinion of non-LEO is so low that comparing this officer to one is an insult in your twisted mind.

I won't even begin to address that fucking laughable attempt at statistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you were watching, this officer did nothing in the way of asking, requesting, or demanding respect or recognition. Yes, acts like this happen on a daily basis with people who are not LE. Are you going to run around every website you can to minimize it as something that happens all the time? Or, are you only going to put fourth the effort if the recognition involves a cop? I guess those moved by this act are all just fools for not realizing how common this is and that its expected of everyone. </div></div>

I'll only do so on every website that I come across in which you post some antagonistic bull shit trolling for such replies.

Wow, you and EventHorizon must be drinking buddies. You even quoted my statements and got some idea that I am filled or blinded by hate. I guess calling it how it is must be hating. Where did I give my opinion of people not in LE? Could you please highlight it. If by using the LE/ non-LE term to differentiate the two, its no more or less demeaning than comparing a group of iron workers to people who are not. In fact there is nothin opinionated in doing so. It a descriptive term, get over it.

So: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I simply consider him an equal</div></div>
You want to consider him an equal, yet you attach a label to him like this"
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The reason it does make conversation is because the officer belongs to a group who is notorious for quite the opposite interaction with the public.</div></div>

You have actualy had to fabricate bullshit in a desperate attempt to turn the table to make me into a hater. Then you say I am putting him on a pedestal? How? Because I am proud to be a part of the same community this guy is from? Thats praise? Saying I am filled with hate?

My first post in this thread:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing hypocritical about this. The fact that there are only 4 replies to this is a testament to what folks are really interested in. If it were a "cop gone bad" post, you can bet the usual flys would be circling the pile, only to reinforce how they "feel" cops really are. But, since this goes against common threads, it will collect dust.

This officer and the deputy in a TSA related post, are what police are really about. Its what makes me proud to be in this line of work. Politics and administators are not the feet on the street. But there are folks here that will not hesitate to slam that officer simply because he is NYPD and NY laws are not what we would like to see, regardless of what kind acts he does. </div></div>

Where is the hate? I made a prediction, accurate one I might add, that there are people willing to minimize this simply because of the profession and/or department the guy belongs to. You did just that. Thanks for proving me right.

Tell you what. I will feel foolish and silly, and remain silent in any social based threads if you can:
1) Find a quote where I have placed myself in some category that I am better.
2) Again, prove that I am about people bowing down to law enforcement
3) Find something, somewhere that shows some form of hatred, demonstrated by me. (besides my hate for the TSA, which I freely admit)

And finally:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you weren't so fucking blind with hate, you might see that I said "Should be expected"! Who said anything about law or policy? Went beyond his job? No shit, thanks for stating the obvious.
</div></div>
So, for cops to do what their "expected" to do, you feel they are required to spend their own money? Yet you acknowledge that he went beyond his job...Which is it? Did he do what was expected or beyond? Since you consider yourself on equal terms, am I to assume you do the same regularly? As far as the higher standard aspect to this whole story, I hold the officer, and ANY OTHER PERSON with much higher regard than someone who can't be bothered. If thats hating, well I guess I am just gonna go through life being a hater. Oh, to clarify, while I don't have personal experience with EVERY agency in the US, I am going to assume that for any other officer to do what is "expected" it is probably outlined in the agency policy, in addition to federal, state, and local laws and statutes. That is how cops know what is "expected" of them.
So, if someone else would like to chime in, maybe give this guy a hand at making me look bad (because he sucks at doing it himself), I am sure it would be appreciated.

EH!!! we're missing you over here, come help ATHHUD make shit up and jump to wild assumptions and conclusions based on nothing!!!!

Point proven. You keep wanting to make this shit about police officers. Him being a cop doesn't have a fucking thing to do with anything. Him being a member of the NYPD is why this is so popular, but it has nothing to do with what should be expected from decent fucking people. I don't give two fucking shits about department policy. Your statement was not accurate. Not once will you find me demeaning the generosity of the officer. What you will find is me pointing out your bloodthirst for the lynching of citizens that don't bow to authority. I'm not about to waste my time searching through posts to find one that blatently illustrates your agenda. Any dumb fuck that isn't just as insane as you, can quickly draw that conclusion by reading any cop-related thread around here. I never once said you considered yourself to be on that pedestal. It's obvious that you don't. Your dire allegiance could not possibly be one that evolves in a brotherhood. It is more congruent with the admiration a child might have for a professional athlete. Even though the athlete might be a horrific human being, the child is in awe of them because they are oblivious to and can not comprehend the athlete doing any wrong.

The most humorous part of all this is that you think I'm actually arguing with you. I recognize that you aren't capable of simply comprehending written word and am mostly getting off on pointing that out to others. The fact that you are still hung up on the misguided assumption that I said anything about what I or society expects from an officer of the law makes it easy. Your insistence to associate my social references with law enforcement officers as oppose to society as a whole clearly illustrates your delusions. So much so, that it is no longer fun for even my sick mind. It's just sad. Good luck with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If there is a problem here, and I don't think there is; it is with our collective attitudes, and not with these individuals' actions.

I see no call for surprise when LE does a good thing, any more so than for any other sort of individual. Honestly, if I did something like that and received praise, I'd be surprised; but pleasantly. I think LE could stand a good bit more of that sort of surprise.

Greg </div></div>

My point exactly.

So, you want to continue making up shit to accuse me of, with no proof after being called out. The only time I show my support of LE is when I see a needless posts bashing the integrity of cops. Anyone with half a brain and higher than a 3rd grade reading level will see that. Why would I challenge you, on a public forum, to prove me wrong? If you feel so strongly about my intent then by all means prove me wrong. Until you do that, all your wild accusations, bullshit claims, misinterpretations, and unfounded assumptions are just hot air spewed from a keyboard.

I have nothing to hide, nor do I have some agenda. If there is someone here with an agenda its you. Good day sir.

Oh, and one more call-out to yet another false assumption of yours. Find a post with me supporting a cop who legitimately broke the law, violated rights, or was just an all out POS. Again, you like to just make shit up, because you know damn well you have nothing to back yourself up with.

This post makes a good point. Im sure the officer would have prefered it not being Viral but regardless it is a wonderful thing to have a heart that is willing to see others in need and provide. (Not soley in a physical needs way either.)