• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action coating options

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Ive got a R700 SA in 223 that im getting ready to rebarrel. The action has a little rust on it and i want to have it coated along with the barrel. Ive heard some guys say that if you cerakote the bolt and inside of the action it can make the action feel rough and almost sticky/gummed up feeling when it starts to wear. Some have reccomended to have the action nitrided with the bolt and then have only the outside of the action cerakoted. Also seen cerakote has a micro slick coating that supposed to mimic nitriding. Not sure what the best route would be for the money. Really dont wanna spend $500-600 coating this barreled action

I understand that. Id end up sending it off to have it done. What im trying to avoid is having bolt and action getting rougher feeling and at the same time prevent it from rusting again. I know i can oil it but i prefer to coat it because i want to change the color of the barreled action

I've managed to get a little too much CeraKote in a few of the actions I've coated - even with the lightest coating on the bolt that will still give good coverage, I've wound up with just too much CK in the action to allow smooth function. What I've done in these instances was to apply 400 or 600 grit aluminum oxide lapping compound to the stripped bolt, then work it back & forth inside the action until the tight spots are lapped in. When finished, I wash the bolt off with hot soapy water to remove the lapping compound, then do the same to the inside of the action with an old toothbrush. Compressed air will generally get the water & compound out of the action, so following up with a light coating of CLP gets things running pretty smooth afterwards.

This seldom happens with a M700 if I'm sticking with the OEM bolt - the cases where I've had issues were when using PTG custom bolts that are a little larger than the OEM bolt would be. Recently, I've bought some bare M700 actions - RR prefix s/n, no bolt, no trigger, no trigger pins, etc. With a PTG bolt of .695" dia, I've had to do a little lapping to smooth things out after CeraKoting. In the three most recent cases, where I've used these bare actions/PTG bolts on rifles of my own, the fit before CeraKoting was pretty good, with just some slight tightness. It might be smart to lap before applying CK, then you wouldn't need to worry about wearing through the coating while lapping afterwards. But then there's still the chance that you'll wind up with some spots where the coating is a bit thicker, and you'd have to lap again.... It's really not that much trouble to lap before the bbl is torqued into the action - clean-up is simple & easy to do. Obviously, I'm not the smoothest hand with a paint gun - have seen videos of a few real pros applying coatings to parts, and these guys are far more talented than me.

Last edited:
I was also looking into having my new action coated, anybody know who does DLC coatings?

I was also looking into having my new action coated, anybody know who does DLC coatings?

Chad at Club Custom guns is where I had mine done. I think his business website was recently re-named to something like Jabuie. Just google Club Custom Guns DLC and it should pop up.
Ive also had DLC work done by Gunworks Machine and they did an outstanding job, but that was for a pistol barrel, not an action/bolt.

As for the OP, i always opt for a treatment like nitride or a DLC coating over cerakote. Not sure why. Probably just because nitride/DLC options make the action feel smoother and to me thats like youre getting more for your hastle/money.

Last edited:
How well does DLC prevent rust? I Recently read it does very little for corrosion protection, but I can’t really find a solid answer.

How well does DLC prevent rust? I Recently read it does very little for corrosion protection, but I can’t really find a solid answer.

I've never had a problem with rust since I live in a dry area. However, I've used DLC guns in humid areas during matches and I'm very certain that DLC is just fine, just as long as you don't plan to dunk it in saltwater or leave it in coastal air for long periods of time without oiling it down.
It only compares poorly in the "rust prevention" areas when compared to other options like nitriding or cerakote. Under normal use it does just fine.

My out of the box 700 action has been coated with Cerakote, but the bolt body is jeweled. I had them leave the body alone but the bolt shroud and handle were coated. I have had zero issues with any binding or rough feeling after thousands of bolt cycles and rounds down range. I lube it with Slip 2000 and wipe it down every once in a while. This rifle gets shot a lot in the desert with some fairly dusty conditions. Zero issues to date.

I'm sure if the coating is really thick you could have a problem, or if the applicator doesn't get the parts clean and blasted correctly the coating will come off. The rails have some wear but nothing I would consider outside of normal.