• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action for a 37XC

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Considering a 37XC as my next rifle, likely single shot. I've never worked with a case of this length, I'm thinking about action length and extraction. Anyone have any insights on what would be good action choices for this cartridge?

Well you can certainly single feed it in any lapua bolt face action.
    I’d love to get a badger 2013(because I always wanted one) or a surgeon 1581xl(again because I always wanted one) but the stiller is a cheaper option.
    I’m also considering a Mausinfield.

So far I’ve been happy with a 1581xl running the 37xc. Action is built like a tank and the integral recoil lug is a nice feature. I opted for a repeater even though I only single feed. Figured it would give me options down the road if I stepped up to 375ct and wanted to rebarrel it in a lapua or Norma.

Reactions: Steel head and BCX
    Best action with out going cheytac action is the pierce 800 series long action single shot . super stiff .800 diamiter bolt longer and wider lugs and 1.187 16 tpi tennon its ypur best option sence with a little inletting it will fit into a 700 footprint stock same bolt pattern its the stiffest and strongest action made with out going cheytac sized

There are multiple action that will accommodate the 375XC any .338lm bolt face will work. If you want switch barrel the the 2 best choice's are Accuracy International or DTA you can get barrels for both. If you are just looking for a single cal action there are lots to chose from. Here are just a few to look at,
    Bat Machine
    Peirce
    JJ Rock
    Stiller
    Kelbly's Magnum Panda
    GA's Templar
    Defiance Deviant
    Or any other that shoots a .338lm just depends on how much you are willing to spend. Good luck

Last edited:
    Reactions: LastShot300
    Thanks for the answers. Happy to know any supporting the 338 LM will work. My main concern had been the longer case length.

You just possibly have to pull the bolt to eject a live round.
    As said above they only issues is a live round. Even in my 375ct with 400 lazer cutting edge's i have to release the bolt to eject a live round because of the bullet length so it's really a none issue.

BAT Machine. They make some gigantic actions, but an M may work. McMillan inlets for them.

The big ones like that are only their single shot BR variants correct? Or do they have a repeater that's not a SA because I haven't had any luck figuring out the answer.

The big ones like that are only their single shot BR variants correct? Or do they have a repeater that's not a SA because I haven't had any luck figuring out the answer.
    As far as I know they are all single shot in the M size and larger. I appreciate this as magazines available for longer cartridges are limiting. For example, I shoot a .338 Lapua that the OAL is nearly 4” to have as little bullet in the case as possible. This would not feed from a magazine but it gives me the powder capacity of a Ackley improved without the case forming. I’m sure strength of the action is improved without the magazine cutout. The heavy action seems to balance the heavier barrel as well. I have an AXMC that feeds a standard .338 Lapua well, but has less capacity. They seem to be designed for different objectives.

I've been eying a terminus kratos x. Id considered a 33xc single feed but think I'm going to go with a 300 Norma improved or a 30-338 because my ranges here won't let me shoot a 338. The new version of the kratos is supposed to support a 4" box that Joel (Terminus) says he makes in house. There's also some talk of Hawkins making a bottom metal for it that supports the MDT detachable magazines that are over 4". That would be perfect for my build, but probably still a little short for you XC. Buuuut I've been on his list for months now still waiting for it to be released 🤞

MDT makes a mag for the Lapua that's 4.050" if I remember correctly but the only chassis setup to use it is Mirage ULR I believe

The BAT HR is available as a repeater and is an R700 long action footprint. Alex Wheeler builds 300 Norma Improved rifles with them and says it’s strong enough for that. Presumably it would work for the XC family.

edit: I would prefer a single shot for ELR, personally. The magazine doesn’t bring anything positive.

Reactions: 338LMAI
    The BAT HR is available as a repeater and is an R700 long action footprint. Alex Wheeler builds 300 Norma Improved rifles with them and says it’s strong enough for that. Presumably it would work for the XC family.

edit: I would prefer a single shot for ELR, personally. The magazine doesn’t bring anything positive.
    Me2 and Barnard...

Would love to get a 37XC barrel for my ASR, who would folks recommend? Sorry to hijack ...

Reviving this thread. I’d like to build a rifle I could use for some of the ko2m style matches they do at ranges like spear point and raton but I’d also like to be able to change the barrel and shoot the nightforce elr match as well.

So far I’m heavily considering an accuracy International asr in 300 Norma for the nightforce match and doing a barrel in 37xc for the ko2m style matches and hand feeding. Does this seem doable?

Other option is the bat hr like mentioned above or even a Defiance or lone peak 338 action in a regular long action stock.

Reviving this thread. I’d like to build a rifle I could use for some of the ko2m style matches they do at ranges like spear point and raton but I’d also like to be able to change the barrel and shoot the nightforce elr match as well.

So far I’m heavily considering an accuracy International asr in 300 Norma for the nightforce match and doing a barrel in 37xc for the ko2m style matches and hand feeding. Does this seem doable?

Other option is the bat hr like mentioned above or even a Defiance or lone peak 338 action in a regular long action stock.

I ended up going with a Bat CT as a single shot. It is a good length for the 37XC, but I think anything shorter would be too small. I also have a Deviant - it would be too short. Also, when I was looking, I couldn't find a good bottom metal with a long enough magazine that would work with the 37XC.

Overall, my build is working well - it's a beast, though! As one of my friends put it, "if we bust an axle on your jeep, we can use the barrel from the XC."