• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Action Screw Length and Accuracy?

(/?/?)NickZ*

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
SW Florida
-Hey guys. Was talking to a friend who happens to be a 'smith and I let him take a look at my newest project. This is a Rem XR100 IN 204 ruger. Now being that its a single shot with a solid bottom action, I bedded the whole action except for obviously the trigger well. I showed him how well it turned out and he asked me if I had fitted new action screws or if I was using the old ones, implying that now that it's bedded the screws are too short. He said it could affect accuracy, and being a stickler for things like that I let him throw the rifle together and he confirmed them being short. What is the proper length? How many turns should you get out of your action screws? Should the forward one be just short enough to clear the locking lug? Is there any truth to this at all? They seem to work fine for me and I have no problem screwing the action solid in the stock. Thanks in advance.