• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Action screws : Hex or slotted head?

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Just wondering what others prefer and using. I recently finished bedding my FN SPR and added the CDI bottom metal. My original hex head action screws were only engaging by literally a few threads. Its the same afterwords. Luckily I had a pair of slotted head screws of longer length that I installed.

Hex heads look better but slotted head is more common as is the screwdriver.

What you running on your favorite rifle?????

Re: Action screws : Hex or slotted head?

Torx head bolts are betterer
grin.gif

Who stocks the hex or torx head screws?

I like hex as they are easier to torque, but thats personal preference. Torx is ok too, but I have all the hex bits and only a few torx.

Torx and hex are great, and easy to work with.
In the unlikely event that you could get into any extrememly dirty or muddy conditions slotted is better since they are easier to clean out.
It would do torx, but there isnt too much dirt between my safe and the bench.

If I can get away with using hex heads on something, I will choose them first. I have stripped the hell out of slotted/phillips heads, and tore up more than one screwdriver or bit as well.

I have yet to strip a hex head screw yet. I'm not going to lie, I have damaged some hex head wrenches, and the GD monkeys that use the machine shop at tech school during the day have 90% of the wrenches stripped, but I still rarely run into stripped out hex head screws.

I am pretty new to Torx type screws, but I can see that the increased surface area spreads the pressure out a lot better and allows easier torquing with much less threat of stripping.

All that said, if it was something that gets changed around a lot, like tooling on mills/lathes is, I'd go regular hex. For stuff like scope bases, rings, and likewise that don't get changed very often(if ever), I'd go Torx from here on.

Cool kids are running Torx nowdays, but I still do hex. 1/4-28 socket heads are 80 yards away at Ace Hardware.....

And be careful, it doesn't take many threads to be into the bolt lug recess and lock everything up.

Torx wrenches work great for getting dirty hex bolt out.

someone posted about a action screw that had really deep allen grooves. it went deeper that regular hex head grooves. anyone know that brand?

+1 for the Hex screws to accurately torque the action into the barrel.

Sure, you can do the same with Torx, but unless you have a set of Torx sockets around, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Fasteners should be available at Midway as previously mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone posted about a action screw that had really deep allen grooves. it went deeper that regular hex head grooves. anyone know that brand?</div></div>

I am not sure where you live, but around here we have fastener stores with literally tens of thousands of different kinds of screws and bolts. I would look for a place like that. I have always been able to find what I need. These are the stores where they don't let you do anything, just bring them a sample of the thread you want and a discription and they go to town looking for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool kids are running Torx nowdays, but I still do hex. 1/4-28 socket heads are 80 yards away at Ace Hardware.....

And be careful, it doesn't take many threads to be into the bolt lug recess and lock everything up. </div></div>

I wish they were 1/4-28 screws.
These are 1/4-32 threads.

Torx bolts are not just cool
wink.gif
they will not round out like a Hex head ..hence Accurate torque setting everytime. If you have taken your action out of the stock dozens of times you will see the difference with the Torx over the Hex. You will need a T-30 Torx driver for the Remington 700 action bolts with Torx head..T-30 Torx drivers can be found anywhere in 1/4,3/8 Dr.

All Badger DBM's come with Torx head bolts.