• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action screws keep loosening up

jim-h

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
Nevada
The action screws keep loosening up on my Savage Elite Precision in .338 lapua magnum after about 75 rounds. I torqued them to 65 inch pounds as recommended by Savage. Other than blue loctite, is there a better fix to this issue?

Attachments

• Savage 338 pic.jpg
    Savage 338 pic.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: MDT_Josh
I recently had several instances of my Savage 10 in 6.5 loosening fasteners ...specifically in my case the scope rail screw and the grip screws and bipod screws and action screws. Tried Blue Loc-Tite and made certain everything was torqued to spec but it all still worked loose. I just now used Red Loc-Tite and bedded the rail with Loc-Tite and so far everything is good...back to shooting bug holes.

We'll see if it shoots loose again but for now I'm happy with Red instead of Blue. Lock 'em down on a Savage has been my empirical experience.

VooDoo

Depending on the thread OD of your action screws, MPA makes lock washers that prevent loosening.

Myself I would not chance red loctite, a properly cleaned thread fastner that has red is only recommended with 1/4 " in diameter and larger bolt if you intend to disassemble later on; smaller fasteners with red is permanent & chance of stripping the head. For red you would require 500 F of direct heat (heavy duty soldering iron) to soften the bond. As Wheres-Waldo mentions, try the lock washer route or a serrated washer if where the action screw contacts trigger guard is countersunk.

Red loctite can be broken down with a heat gun...500 degrees will totally break its bond while lower temps will weaken it. Than being said, I would never use red on action screws....blue at the most. Nordlock washers are likely the best for this application, but you will need longer action screws. The front screw especially does not have that many threads holding it in a Savage. Get some nice grade 8 hex bolts and cut them to length as an upgrade.

Make sure the recoil lug is sitting against the chassis and the screws are not taking the recoil.

Reactions: XLR308
Myself I would not chance red loctite, a properly cleaned thread fastner that has red is only recommended with 1/4 " in diameter and larger bolt if you intend to disassemble later on; smaller fasteners with red is permanent & chance of stripping the head. For red you would require 500 F of direct heat (heavy duty soldering iron) to soften the bond. As Wheres-Waldo mentions, try the lock washer route or a serrated washer if where the action screw contacts trigger guard is countersunk.
Yeah, how about the OP does the smart thing and starts with Blue ? If that doesn't work, then the next move "might" be Red.

Make sure the recoil lug is sitting against the chassis and the screws are not taking the recoil.

Another thing to verify in addition to that is checking for a high spot in the inlet that is allowing the action to move slightly and eventually allowing the action screws to loosen.

It’s actually a known issue on the early MDT ACC.

contact mdt and they will fix it

@MDT_Josh

I've been using Permatex orange threadlocker. Holds like red but fasteners can be removed with hand tools. No heat required.

Several years back I had the same thing happening with my Savage 12 LRP with a 27" heavy contour barrel hanging on it. The final solution was to use Blue Loctite on the action screws and bed the first 5" of the barrel channel forward of the recoil lug. The actions screws have not come loose, the rifle has retained zero for several years, and accuracy is still sub 1/2 MOA.

Here are my thoughts and thanks for the tag @hic28 !

1. There is a chance that the action screws are on the very edge of tolerance and are just a hair short, meaning that they do not have full engagement into the action. Reinstall them and count how many turns of actual engagement there are. If there are less than 3, be sure to let us know and we'll ship you out replacements!
  2. With the ACC being such a heavy chassis and the 338 LM being such a high recoiling round, it is the equivalent of an immovable object meeting an unstoppable force. Blue loctite is recommended and that is what I run in all of my ACC's from 22LR up :)
  3. For sure reach out to the customer support team and @MDT_OFFICIAL and let them know of your troubles. They'll be happy to help and get you back up and running!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to help out ☺️

Josh