• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Action vise and wrench

citabria

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
missouri
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good Action vise and action wrench and where to get them for a rem 700 style reciever. I know of brownells and midway but i didnt know which one or if something else would be better.

Re: Action vise and wrench

Ebay or Gunbrokers has a guy selling them. I bought the vise from him and the wrench from Midway but only because I had already ordered the wrench.

Sinclair's has these items, I bought a wrench (about $45) for my switch barrel BR, re. the vise...not meant to remove factory installed barrels as I recall........

I use a barrel vise instead of an action vise. Maybe that is what you mean. Mine is a Davidson and came from Sinclair. I have found their action wrenches to be of high quality also.

I made my barrel vise and my receiver wrench. I used drawings in a barrel fitting book I purchsed.

My barrel vise is hydraulic (home-made) and the numerous wrenches are also home-made, but there are numerous vises and wrenches available that are good quality. Try Brownells for the vise and Holland or PTG for the wrench.

I have the vise from Brownells with 4 top bolts and different size aluminum barrel inserts. It works fine. As for wrenches, I use the Brownells wrap around type for breaking loose factory actions, and a Darrel Holland wrench for reassembly. Hollands wrench allows you to use a torque wrench, and apply the torque you desire with out guessing. I have a you tube video that shows the vise, and Holland wrench. Don't remember which one, but you can visit my channel. It's suar08161991, and I think the video is bench rest build part 4. The Holland wrench needs minor mods to work on Surgeon actions, or you can buy Surgeons wrench made for their actions. Other similar actions will require you to make them, such as the Stiller Tac 338. Good luck with your project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the vise from Brownells with 4 top bolts and different size aluminum barrel inserts. It works fine. As for wrenches, I use the Brownells wrap around type for breaking loose factory actions, and a Darrel Holland wrench for reassembly. Hollands wrench allows you to use a torque wrench, and apply the torque you desire with out guessing. I have a you tube video that shows the vise, and Holland wrench. Don't remember which one, but you can visit my channel. It's suar08161991, and I think the video is bench rest build part 4. The Holland wrench needs minor mods to work on Surgeon actions, or you can buy Surgeons wrench made for their actions. Other similar actions will require you to make them, such as the Stiller Tac 338. Good luck with your project. </div></div>

Great Video(s) brother!

Thank you sir. Are you cigar cop because you like to smoke cigars? If so let me know, and I'll send you a few of the ones we make. Thanks again.