• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Actions and mags for "long" 223 cartridges?

SL1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2010
Maryland
I am looking for a new bolt gun in .223 Rem, and am trying to decide what to do for twist rate.

Since most .223s are built on actions that are designed for .308 class cartidges, they are typically blocked in the action and magazine to limit them to the shorter .223 cartridge. But, with the advent of the really long VLD bullets and a lot of the new long "unleaded" hunting bullets, it seems to me that the .308 length action and magazine could be used to advantage when paired with a fast-twist barrel.

However, I am not aware of any manufacturer that offers .223 chamberings with action and mag set-up to handle overly-long cartridges, even though they are offering twist rates of 8", 7" and even less.

Do any of the members here know of bolt guns set-up like that?

And, if they exist, do they also feed standard-length .223s properly, too?

Or is there something that I am missing?

SL1

Re: Actions and mags for "long" 223 cartridges?

If you use any short action bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines you can use the $40 AICS 223 mags that have a 2.5" internal length.

Plenty of room for even the 90gr Berger VLD to be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SL1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And, if they exist, do they also feed standard-length .223s properly, too?

SL1 </div></div>

yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use any short action bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines you can use the $40 AICS 223 mags that have a 2.5" internal length.

Plenty of room for even the 90gr Berger VLD to be used. </div></div>

+100
I have a 700 SA with this set up and it works great for shooting the long heavy bullets. My 77 SMK loads are 2.312 OAL to the lands, that leaves .25 of usable mag room left. It also feeds great.

M700 SA that was originally built by Remmy as a 223 with the AI 223 mags takes the long bullets in 223. No magic or mystery to it. If you want to just rock a BDL BM, the sheet metal spacer in the box comes out in about 30 seconds, giving you 2.810" of room to play with.

Don't have the actual # in front of me but I run 80s with a Wylde chamber and have lots of room to go longer.

Life is much happier with a BDM and the AI 223 mag in the Remmy M700. Also read up on working the extractor over a bit to make the thing run right. They pretty well suck right out of the factory.

.223 is built on a .378 bolt face the .308 uses a .473 bolt face, and you can modify a 223 mag to run the heavies!

Rocking 75-80 grain Amax's way out there in the AICS mag.

223AI75AMAXMAG.jpg

my savage mod 10 with the cdi bm uses aics mags
the only mod is to trim the bolt guide thing???? behind the lugs