• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Add neck tension by crimping?

Stop and find out what is wrong.... either using the wrong bullets- wrong die, or something is set up very wrong. That's not a good fix- but possibly an excellent attempt at trolling?

If serious then you need to post more info.

Reactions: Gohring65
467FE4E2-742D-49BA-AA70-3B259D51EC62.jpeg

I used this die set. I followed this YouTube video

To get proper neck tension, do I just go deeper with the resizing die?

Run the press all the way up until the shell holder hits the bottom of the sizing die..... (until you start just trying to size the brass a few thousandths, but that requires more measuring equipment and practice). Make sure the expander is set at the right height.

Don't run the shell holder all the way up on the seating die.... It probably has a roll crimp built into it.

Neck sizing dies have bushings, you have a full length sizing die unless RCBS packaged it incorrectly. Remove the decapping rod by unthreading the black portion of the sizing die. On the rod you'll find the expander ball (#6), above your decapping pin (#7). Measure the widest part and list diameter.

Screenshot_20220430-000126.png

Last edited:
Reactions: richie3888
Thanks everyone

Bro,

Don’t take this the wrong way but you need to stop before you hurt yourself or someone else. You don’t know how this works.

Either read a book on reloading or get someone to show you hands on. You have to understand how a case holds a bullet and how a die makes the case hold a bullet.

The same goes for powder charge weight and seating depth.

This shit is dangerous.

Reactions: ImperfectLiberty
Bro,

Don’t take this the wrong way but you need to stop before you hurt yourself or someone else. You don’t know how this works.

Either read a book on reloading or get someone to show you hands on. You have to understand how a case holds a bullet and how a die makes the case hold a bullet.

The same goes for powder charge weight and seating depth.

This shit is dangerous.
Everybody has to start from somewhere. Believe me, I read a lot of books and watched YouTube tutorials. This was literally my first time loading. Reading and watching YouTube videos won’t give you first hand experience. I felt something was wrong and I came here to get answers. I corrected my mistake and I’m good to go now.

^^^^ This
There’s too many mistakes that can happen (to anyone) but many times more probable if you’re just winging it with a few online tutorials. I second having someone help you the first few times making sure your set up correctly and hopefully sharing some tips to follow and pitfalls to avoid.

^^^^ This
There’s too many mistakes that can happen (to anyone) but many times more probable if you’re just winging it with a few online tutorials. I second having someone help you the first few times making sure your set up correctly and hopefully sharing some tips to follow and pitfalls to avoid.
It would be nice to have someone over my shoulder and telling me if I’m doing everything right but what if I don’t have that option? Should I never try?

It would be nice to have someone over my shoulder and telling me if I’m doing everything right but what if I don’t have that option? Should I never try?
Not saying that just encouraging you to find someone if possible. I traded Corona for some help starting out to a Vet from my gun club. We’re good friends to this day. If you don’t have that option, o agree with reading a Lyman manual first. That’s how a lot of people started. 🍻

Everybody has to start from somewhere. Believe me, I read a lot of books and watched YouTube tutorials. This was literally my first time loading. Reading and watching YouTube videos won’t give you first hand experience. I felt something was wrong and I came here to get answers. I corrected my mistake and I’m good to go now.

Yes that is true but you chose to use a seater die to size the neck. I can tell that from the pic you posted. You chose to do that because you did not understand what a sizing die does. You also don’t understand what happens when a round is fired. You need to understand these things before proceeding further. Otherwise your learning curve will be long and arduous.

Then find someone who does, you can pay for classes, look for them. If you don’t have that option it’s because you’ve closed off your mind to finding it, its out there. You do have that option you just need to look for it.

Nobody’s telling you not to try, they are giving you advice to keep you from hurting yourself, others or damaging your equipment. I would heed their good advice.

Where are you located you're on a forum with people all over the country possibly willing to help. At least you reached out for help when you realized something is wrong, and got it fixed. The big problem lies within small problems that my go un noticed that could have catastrophic results.

When I started I was on my own and would consider myself to pretty well rounded reloader. It took time, but I can say I never ran into what you did which is why people are concerned.

Get a copy of the Shooters Bible Guide to Handloading. There is no better book forgetting started, it will help eliminate these mistakes before it happens. I promise you will not be disappointed with the purchase.

@richie3888 sometimes forum writers can come off as harsh, but in reading the thread I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Their advice on starting up safely is very important. It would always be best to do your homework as well as get with a mentor to get started up safely and with fewer frustrations. The risks are not behind you with just getting un-stuck.

There is almost no place in the US where it is too far to get to a reloading class or find a mentor, and certainly not in CA.

Procedures and tools are one thing, but just having someone coaching your work layout and how to error proof your bench is very important. This can be done without help, but the odds tilt way in your favor if you get a mentor and connect with experienced folks. Especially if you can find the nearest ranges that run competition that closely matches your performance goals.

Good Luck and play it safe.

Look, I'm a smart guy, I run my own business and have for a long time and went to school on an academic scholly.

If I did not have someone teach me the basics of hand loading, I'd very likely have had a bad outcome. There's a lot of little things you can do wrong even if you know what to do. Someone teaching you is where you learn the little habits that are there to keep you safe. (Such as how to keep track of what powder you are loading, and the importance of case volume, ect). Seriously, you can blow your gun up with your face right beside it.

Look for some reloading classes, or make s post to find someone on here that is semi close to you. If you have to drive a few hours to go spend the day in someone's reloading room, go do it, and do it before you try and reload on your own. I can't tell you all of the mistakes that I've made reloading, but I never had a dangerous one, because the guy who taught me the basics made a huge deal of certain things and certain steps, and why we do them. I started just watching him and asking questions. Then I went to seating what he had prepared. Then I started preparing the cases with him. Then I went to doing the whole thing with him watching. We did this over about 4 Saturdays. It was absolutely the best thing for me. After that, I could then watch YouTube and read and try things on my own and learn further, but I had that base to keep me safe while learning. It's absolutely necessary.

I’ll tell you what. Come over. You can start by washing my cars. Then waxing. Next painting. There will be a whole reloading lesson in there somewhere. 🇯🇵 🤩

Go on calguns.net and find a reloading club local to you. Get together with them.

Watch some you tube vids or your more then welcome to pm me and I can give you my number to txt if u run into a issue. I always point people to Jonny's reloading bench. He does a great job at starting from ground level. My best quick advice is never force anything. If you are forcing anything you are doing something wrong. Stop and set back and think about what is going on. Good luck!! Reloading is simple don't make it hard.