• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Adding person to a Trust?

bradpierson26

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2009
Greeley, CO
I am going to setup a trust for a SBS build i am planning. I am also planning on getting married in the next year. How easy/difficult would it be to add my girlfrind once we get married? is it better to add her initially even though we are not married yet?

Re: Adding person to a Trust?

The family lawyer in me says run away . . . But the trust lawyer says its an easy amendment.

I would not advise adding her to the trust before you get married.

After you get married . . . .

Listen to someone who has been married for 25 years. Separate bank accounts,credit cards and automobiles. Don't go off half-cocked. Don't-repeat Don't do it.

The question is "why are you determined to do your SBR in a Trust as a Trust is created to enable just this sort of structure?"

You need Trustees for a Trust, there is NO Trust without them.......

In other words, what are you doing?

Just a dumb question--

If you are keeping your NFA items in a safe where your wife has access (for the critical paperwork and other things), wouldn't you **have** to get her on the trust since she has unimpeded access to the NFA stuff?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a dumb question--

If you are keeping your NFA items in a safe where your wife has access (for the critical paperwork and other things), wouldn't you **have** to get her on the trust since she has unimpeded access to the NFA stuff? </div></div>

this makes since to me.
well our future children will be trustees.

Brad, there is a problem with Trusts, nobody does the reading to understand what they are.

1. You cannot have a one person Trust.
2. Your wife can not have access to the NFA items in she isn't a Trustee, as in no safe.
3. Minors can only be Trustee when they reach a majority age.

Why are you doing a Trust?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why are you doing a Trust? </div></div>

Well hopefully this isnt my last NFA purchase and everything i have heard is trusts are a bitch initially but much easier in thelong run...

Trusts are extremely simple.

I have one suppressor on a Individual Transfer. All the other goodies go on my trust so that my wife can use/handle whatever she wants and my kids will be able to as well when they are majority age.

The other option is a Corp., but that comes with a buttload more paperwork.

So now we're back to the age old question. If your NFA item is transfered to YOU as an individual, are you teh only one who can use it in the eyes of teh law?