• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding Weight To Stock

Hairball

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2013
    SoCal
    I tried a search on this but did not link to anything definitive. I have an H-S stock for a project and i am thinking about adding weight to the various voids in the stock. Is there any recommendations on what to use vice what not to use to increase weight and does adding weight to these areas have any adverse effects on overall cycle of the rifle?

I have an hs precision stock and I'm thinking of adding epoxy with a mercury recoil reducer thats able to be tooken out

I did that to one of my older 700P's. I took off the recoil pad and drilled it out so the 16oz mercury tube would fit and then I topped it off with epoxy, sanded it down flush and added a new recoil pad. I did not add weight to any other part and I don't like the way it shoots; however, I also had some other work done by a gunsmith that did not go well so I can't really pinpoint the worse of the two evils.

We quite often get asked to make stocks to a certain weight. In some cases to make up weight to be on the max weight limit for a competition rifle. Some rifles are for hunting rifle matches in Germany. Say our base hunting stock in carbon fibre would weigh 700 grams (24-25 oz) and the weight would be ordered at 1800 grams, we would add lead while laying up the stock. The carbon and resin of the stock would be the same as an ultra light stock at~700gram but we would add and distribute ~1100grams of lead between the sides of the barrel channel (~20%) and the top of the comb (80%). In other words as close as possible to the line of recoil. With our tactical stock we offer to make the adjustable cheek extra heavy or to an ordered weight which can be between 75 grams and 700 grams..... or make two, 75 grams for hunting and 700grams for the range.
    I am convinced a rifle shoots best when the centre of gravity is on the line of the bore. If one adds weight, add it in such a way that the centre of gravity gets closer to the bore.
    edi

I would mix lead shot with epoxy and pour into the areas needed.

If the rifle is shot offhand, consider the balance point as well as the weight.