• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Adding weight

JBD56

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2012
Minnesota
To any of you that have been shooting F-open for awhile...have you added lead or some type of weight to the stock of your rifles if they are under weight? My present rig weighs about 17.5 lbs. and is muzzle heavy with a straight 1.25 30 inch barrel. Will it track better on the bags in your experience with the added weight?

I added weight under the barrel, under the action and under the button pad on my old Open rig. I never shot it before to know if it helped but is sure tracked nice. I just mixed lead shot and devcon.

It is a Kelbly 1M stock that came with the barreled action I bought last year. I replaced the barrel on the rifle this past winter with a 30" straight (1.25") tube in 6BRX. I pulled off the butt plate this week and drilled out two 3/8th inch holes in the center of the stock and filled with lead shot. This added about 1.5 lbs to the overall weight of the rifle and helped with the balance point. Shot it Monday night for our league match (197-11X) in some really twitchy winds. I can still add a little more weight, but will shoot it this way for now.

I use just in front of the action as my balance point...not sure if that is correct but it works for me.

There are many factors to the weight of an F-Class rifle. Some are: do you free recoil or do you hold the rifle in your shoulder or something in between, most use some kind of bench rest front rest but some use bipods...yes, in F-Open, not just F-TR. If you free recoil the balance of the rifle should be fairly uniform so that it rides the bags smoothly without jumping off of them. The caliber determines a lot of that. If you hold the rifle in recoil the weight can be biased to the front because you are mitigating recoil in the back with your hold, just be sure your hold is consistent. The scope can also mitigate some recoil if it has some weight to it. Just random thoughts here.

I use a Farley rest that was purchased in 2013. It made a huge improvement in my scores. I went from expert to high master classification in about 2 months after it was purchased. Some of that may be from improved technique and improving mirage/wind. There is a 12-42 NF 2DD reticle on all my F-class rifles. I did shoot the 6BRX at the state 1000 yard championship a few weeks ago (first time) and managed a 196, 197, 197 the first day. Second day was a palma format under tougher conditions that was humbling :).

We shoot every Monday night, May through September at our club. This only gets you one 20 round match per week, but it gives you a chance to work on technique regularly. I also shoot the regional and state matches held around the state. Last year that was 4 matches (team Saturday and individual on Sunday) consisting of 6-8 strings of fire. The 6 BR I used last year has about 1200 rounds down the barrel and has only been used for one regional match this year. The 6BRX built this past winter has about 600 rounds down the barrel so far, with about another 400 rounds planned with matches yet to be shot this year. I also built a 6BRX on an Elisio chassis this spring, but have concentrated on using the one mentioned at the start of this thread for matches. We have a fairly active club membership and the range is open to non-members on the Monday night matches (usually about 20-30 shooters most evenings). I guess that is the long version of how much I shoot.

I use a Shehane ST1000 stock which is similar to yours.

I found the balance with a 31" 1.25" tube was much better after adding weight.

A Forsner drill but works great, easy to control and a larger hole.
I filled mine with enough #7 birdshot to bring the total weight up to 22lbs even.

Also use a Farley up front and an Edgewood in back . Tracks perfectly (6 Dasher).