• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding weights to McMillan or a manners?

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    I have a new 300 PRC build. It weighs 18 lb with a suppressor and ammunition. I'd like to get it closer to 22 lb.

Are there any do-it-yourself options for me to put weights somewhere in the stock? It's definitely front heavy with a 26-in M24 barrel.

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_222202705.MP.jpg
      PXL_20240228_222202705.MP.jpg
      773.7 KB · Views: 108
    • PXL_20240228_204912441.jpg
      PXL_20240228_204912441.jpg
      539 KB · Views: 106
    You could add a weighted arca rail as well. Also if you could remove the buttpad there might be room to drill and fill with some shot there also.

Reactions: NHPiper
    Does anyone make these? I don't have the ability to cut them myself.

I was thinking about opening a space in the barrel channel to fill with lead shot as well.
    I am not aware of anyone making anything for sale. There probably is though.
    If you have a vice, a hack saw, a file and maybe some sandpaper, you have everything you need. An angle grinder would be handy. Those spacers are easy to remove and use as a pattern.

Or make a template by tracing the outline of the stock under the butt plate and find a metal fabrication shop near you and ask them to laser cut 4-5 of them (not sure how many you will need but extras cost less than having a second batch made).

Has anyone seen a weighted arca rail that is 12“ long vs the 14”+ I am seeing?

I haven't but having the small amount sticking out doesn't hurt anything especially if you are just looking to make it heavier. You could always cut it off yourself easy enough and just smooth out the end.

I’m not making any more of these, nor selling them, but I did make a few steel ARCA rails for some shop rifles that were tapered at the rear so they sit flat against the Manners T4 stock, and some steel “spacers” that fit between the stock and the cheek piece for weight and ballast.

It worked out well for me. I’m not sure if any one is offering these commercially, but anyone with a mill should be able to make similar.
    IMG_0407.jpeg

I’m not making any more of these, nor selling them, but I did make a few steel ARCA rails for some shop rifles that were tapered at the rear so they sit flat against the Manners T4 stock, and some steel “spacers” that fit between the stock and the cheek piece for weight and ballast.

It worked out well for me. I’m not sure if any one is offering these commercially, but anyone with a mill should be able to make similar.
    View attachment 8362035
    Love that Rail! Wish I could get a A419 rail done that way!

I got a piece of round stock and had a flat milled into it and some holes then put some threaded inserts into stock to bolt it on as a bag rider type of thing. I think it added like 1.5lbs. I can take a picture if you need

I had a steel arca rail built also, its 0.5" thick so it's pretty heavy also. L3I makes some also

Has anyone seen a weighted arca rail that is 12“ long vs the 14”+ I am seeing?

That one is 13”. Steel or aluminum w/ brass weights. He makes them for MLOK, Foundation, and TCS stocks depending on hardware needs.

McMillan used to make brass buttstock spacers. then add a weighted arca rail to the front

That one is 13”. Steel or aluminum w/ brass weights. He makes them for MLOK, Foundation, and TCS stocks depending on hardware needs.
    Wonder if I can run an action screw through it with a little work.

I def don't love the look of Arca on the bottom of stocks. They look so nice without them.

Wonder if I can run an action screw through it with a little work.

I def don't love the look of Arca on the bottom of stocks. They look so nice without them.

Fwiw I think the Foundation and TCS versions are inletted for the front action screw.

View attachment 8362035
    Man wish I could get one of those buttstock weights. A while ago I saw a manners video with similar weight on the TCS. When I contacted manners about it the said it’s something they had planned to release but decided not to.

I wonder if Raven Rock Machine might wanna do some weights for a manners stick, I know they did the brass weights for the KRG Bravo a couple years ago.

Reactions: Islas82