• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADI ammo?

NukeMMC

Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A’ So ‘S Gheibh Sibh Feòil
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Has anyone used any of the ammo from ADI down under? Specifically looking at their 168TMK loads in 308 that can be had at <$1.50/rd shipped.

Just bought some of their 69 gr. SMK ammo in .223, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I believe this used to be marketed as Australian Outback and it had the reputation of being very accurate ... as good as, or nearly as good as FGMM.

Target Sports does have FGMM for $1.70/rd. shipped - less if you're a Prime member, so for and extra .20 you might want to go with a known performer.

Reactions: Familydude
    This ammo is a hidden gem imo. It shoots a bit higher than FGMM out of my S20 and TacA1 but is just as accurate. It also seems to follow the same bullet drop values as the fgmm too. The tmk shoots a little tighter than the smk, but both are a great cheaper alternative to the Federal from my experience so far.

Has been my go to hunting ammo for several years. Bought cases of it before covid. Was cheaper than FGMM and just as accurate maybe a little better.

At $269/200 for 168TMK and $249/200 for 168SMK and $13 shipping .... I'll get some and let you folks know how my 308s like it.

Shot a bunch their 308 game king load in a dpms ar10, stuff shot great!

Just bought some of their 69 gr. SMK ammo in .223, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I believe this used to be marketed as Australian Outback and it had the reputation of being very accurate ... as good as, or nearly as good as FGMM.
    Best group I ever shot was with the 69gr SMK stuff through a Proof SS prefit. Was the last 4 shots of the box into .005". It's a consistent sub 1/2 MOA shooter and it has around 20 ES under the chrono. The brass is nice as well.

Attachments

• OMcpM5h.jpg
      OMcpM5h.jpg
      277.7 KB · Views: 154
    Has anyone used any of the ammo from ADI down under? Specifically looking at their 168TMK loads in 308 that can be had at <$1.50/rd shipped.

ADI make excellent factory ammunition.

The 69gn 223Rem ammo, guys have already mentioned, is truly spectacular.
    Once every so often you may see the ADI 308Win and 223Rem sold at less per cartridge than what you can assemble it for (SMK projectiles alone can be exy sometimes).

The brass is very good and provides a good base to continue to handload from too (case capacity is higher than a lot of other brands so take that into account). Typically see about 8-10 firings, without annealing, before neck splits in both 308and 223 ADI brass.

If you end up reloading the 308Win ADI brass with 168gn pills, try 43.5 and 44.5gn(plus/minus 0.1gn) of ADI2208/Varget.
    One of these or both will shoots lights out.
    * as with all reloading, work your way up blah blah............

Reactions: Drew M
    I had some in .308 and it shot excellent for factory ammo.

Classic never ever seen ADI 168TMK factory stuff here in Australia….never even heard they make it. Shot the 223 stuff years ago and it’s good quality. Even the 55gr game king/blitz king shoot great. I’d say go for it! All your Varget H4895 etc made by ADI down under so they know what they are doing.

it could be good ammo or at the least it's an option to buy primers depending on what they are using maybe . Id love to know how if they are located in Australia importing ammo when you can't buy supplies from there and have them shipped ?

it could be good ammo or at the least it's an option to buy primers depending on what they are using maybe . Id love to know how if they are located in Australia importing ammo when you can't buy supplies from there and have them shipped ?
    Over here in Australia we can’t buy Primers, powder or live ammunition online and have it shipped to our home address…have to buy from gun shop direct….so would be big dollars for little orders overseas. My local gun shop is still stocked full of primers, powder, projectiles etc etc so I’m glad they can’t 😂 America would clean us out 👍🏼

Hey @acudaowner. Are you asking how you can buy ADI prodcts in say the USA as an "imported" item?

Stumbled on this thread, I bought some ADI for a gas gun match that I shot in a few weeks ago. I used the 168gr match they have, and out of my 20 inch gasser with a suppressor on it, I was hitting 2600 FPS. I think the lot I got was a little hot, because I had some primer flow, but man it was accurate as hell, just as much so as the fgmm 168s I normally shoot. This ammo is def gtg, and I buy some every time global ordnance puts it up (supposedly they ar their sole distributor?).

I’m trying to figure out what powder they are using so I can clone it. I think it might be varget, but I’m not sure.

ADI ammo (also seen as OSA) here in Aus is know for excellent consistency.
    The 223Rem 69gn SMK shoots amazing out of many of the guys .223s
    You also get a round for the same price as just the projectile, then some excellent ADI 308/223 brass to reload.
    ADI make 2208, referred to as Varget when sent overseas. We nearly all use 2208 in .308Win and 2206H in 223Rem (with appx 55gn pills, 2208 for heavies).
    My .308 load with 168Zmax is 43.5gn (low) and 44.4gn (high/hunting) 2208/Varget in ADI brass. These loads hammer in my .308. Reloader discretion, work up loads blah blah

For reference

Reactions: sneakypayload
    ADI ammo (also seen as OSA) here in Aus is know for excellent consistency.
    The 223Rem 69gn SMK shoots amazing out of many of the guys .223s
    You also get a round for the same price as just the projectile, then some excellent ADI 308/223 brass to reload.
    ADI make 2208, referred to as Varget when sent overseas. We nearly all use 2208 in .308Win and 2206H in 223Rem (with appx 55gn pills, 2208 for heavies).
    My .308 load with 168Zmax is 43.5gn (low) and 44.4gn (high/hunting) 2208/Varget in ADI brass. These loads hammer in my .308. Reloader discretion, work up loads blah blah

For reference
    Yep roughly the same 44.5g with a 175otm in the ADI/OSA brass. .3gr less than my Lapua brass load 👍🏼

With the ammo from ADI down under, you are getting the best of both worlds. You are getting good quality ammo and a great price.

The 168TMK loads in 308 can be had at<$1. They come in 20 rounds per box, which is great for target practice or hunting small game.

Want to know what's needed to write a really good academic paper? You can find the answer right here!

Last edited:
    Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven