• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adj. cheek piece question

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Alrighty... this might be a unicorn hunt, but I figured I'd ask anyway ;)

In the past, when shooting NRA Match Rifle with an AR space gun, I used an Eliseo / CSS adjustable butt stock. Pretty chunky, with lots of adjustments and stuff completely irrelevant outside of a flat/square KD range... but I did really like the adjustable cheek piece. On that particular model, it was essentially a cam that rolled up into place, or rotated down out of the way if you needed to rack the charging handle, with ball detents so it was pretty simple to get back to where you wanted it.

It was particularly nice for me, being a wee bit on the tall/plus side, as I tend to ride up on the stock more than others. My face was actually *on* the cheek piece. Usually when I use most AR 'adjustable' cheek pieces, they are so far back that they are more of an ear rest than a cheek rest.

Is there anything else on the market that is either notched or cut out for the charging handle, or flips out of the way, or...?

While not a direct answer to your question, perhaps you can get by with a cheek piece that isn't notched or whatever if you go to a side-charging upper/carrier. Might that be another way to skin the cat?

Yeah if your going to go all spacegun, then a side charging handle it the name of the game. Most of the cheek piece options out there are going to be farther back in order to prevent the blocking of the the charging handle and for the fact that a modern fundamentally sound prone position places you more behind the rifle, thus naturally placing one face farther back. Beyond the shrinking segment of High Power shooters running irons, the "nose to charging handle" technique has be come antiquated.

On my AR platform match rifle I have a butt stock with an adjustable butt plate. I would lower that and when shouldered the top of the actual stock was a little higher and served as a higher cheek rest and still not interfere with charging handle. It worked with irons but you might need to play around a bit with scope height.

a modern fundamentally sound prone position places you more behind the rifle, thus naturally placing one face farther back.

I left conventional HP behind years ago. Pretty sure I've shot enough FTR at the national/international level to say I have a 'fundamentally sound prone position'. Problem is, I'm also 6'4" and most AR stocks tend to be a bit cramped for me in any position, but especially prone. ;)

Like the WOA,,,but I'm 5'8"
    Still use irons

Last edited:
    Not sure how well that would work...

I've used both the SCS and the SCS Lite on one of my bolt guns. The SCS isn't easily movable at all, which is why I changed it out (was damn near unusable for the weak-side stages that PRS match directors around here like to throw in). The SCS Lite is a little less rugged, but way more simple - loosen the knobs and pull the cheek piece out for cleaning, weak side, etc... but I would think it'd be a big 'no go' for an AR that needs a functional buffer tube for more than just a place to hang the stock hardware.

The XLR TR-2 would be close... if I could find a way to get that cheek piece about 3" further forward.

I've got a Magpul UBR on order... I'll see if that gives enough of a 'better' fit over a regular carbine stock that the cheek piece becomes a moot point. Kinda wish the Larue RISR worked with the UBR...

I was going to recommend the XLR but sounds like you have allready considered it.
    I am 6'2" but have long arms and neck and it fits me extremely well.

Is your face actually on the cheek piece with it far enough back to clear the charging handle?

I was halfway considering making a Kydex 'extension' to go over the cheekpiece saddle, but with cut outs on the sides for the charging handle...

I have kind of a love-hate thing with the XLR butt stocks... very flexible, especially for taller folks... but that saddle is a PITA when it comes to cleaning the gun (on a bolt gun). Yes, there are work-arounds, but I think it could be better designed.

Is your face actually on the cheek piece with it far enough back to clear the charging handle?

I was halfway considering making a Kydex 'extension' to go over the cheekpiece saddle, but with cut outs on the sides for the charging handle...

I have kind of a love-hate thing with the XLR butt stocks... very flexible, especially for taller folks... but that saddle is a PITA when it comes to cleaning the gun (on a bolt gun). Yes, there are work-arounds, but I think it could be better designed.

Mine is on thier Carbon chassis with the folding mechanism so no issues with cleaning.
    They just have so many different adjustments and are easy to fit up perfectly at least for me but I'm a bit shorter than you.
    I have the height and cant adjustable butt plate as well and initially had the 1" thick pad but swapped to the 1/2" when I fine tuned it to fit me better.

I know their (XLR's) "answer" to the cleaning complaint is to spend $115 more for a folding stock adapter, to work around the original design... :rolleyes:

Did that, didn't like the way it locked up. Or having to get another, shorter, tube to make up for the extra inch plus of the folder mechanism (too long with the original tube, even for me). That, and the folder adapter is only available part of the time. Handy, that.

Finally said screw it, sold it and got the SCS Lite for my MDT chassis (Savage 10 BA Stealth), and went back to the original config on my XLR Carbon single-shot chassis.

Here I figured when you were recommending the TR2, you actually *had* one on a gas gun...

I know their (XLR's) "answer" to the cleaning complaint is to spend $115 more for a folding stock adapter, to work around the original design... :rolleyes:

Did that, didn't like the way it locked up. Or having to get another, shorter, tube to make up for the extra inch plus of the folder mechanism (too long with the original tube, even for me). That, and the folder adapter is only available part of the time. Handy, that.

Finally said screw it, sold it and got the SCS Lite for my MDT chassis (Savage 10 BA Stealth), and went back to the original config on my XLR Carbon single-shot chassis.

Here I figured when you were recommending the TR2, you actually *had* one on a gas gun...

Sorry for any confusion, I have the AR cheek piece on it but it's on a BA as I didn't need the extra length and the full length tube seems to work fine with folder but everybody is different I guess.

I left conventional HP behind years ago. Pretty sure I've shot enough FTR at the national/international level to say I have a 'fundamentally sound prone position'. Problem is, I'm also 6'4" and most AR stocks tend to be a bit cramped for me in any position, but especially prone. ;)

FTR?!?! LOL, BIG DICKS COMING THROUGH!

Look FTR is just HP for the old and broken. :eek: No offense (well maybe just a little). Nothing wrong with pursing FTR if thats your thing but when you blade off the rifle in that "little green army man" pose and go nose to charing handle, you begin to compromise your body position. At 6'5'' I can tell you modern adjustable cheek pieces don't present the same problem...(except)...when shooting HP in the occasional blue moon that I do.

Proper body position is literally Step 1. of the fundamentals of marksmanship.
    Considerations for proper body position should allow you to...

A. Establish a natural point of aim that is of adequate stability.
    B. Provide durability of the NPA through the recoil impulse.
    C. Provide sustainability, of the position to the degree necessary for the shooter to make the shot(s).

Traditional HP/F-Class prone body positions certainly provide the stability necessary but there is no real demand for the durability and recoil control. F-class COFs are 1 round a minute, plenty of time for you to rebuild your body position between shots but lets be honest, your 30lbs. rifle probably isn't going anywhere. Same thing with HP, even when shooting rapid fire stages your strapping your self into a jack and sling and gluing yourself to a shooting mat with 18lbs .223 (not exactly in much requirement in the recoil management department).

When you get into disciplines that actually demand true and proper recoil management you typically see shooters squaring up behind the rifle. This actually provides durability of the NPA under recoil, which means faster follow up shots and observation of trace/splash (again only in HP/F-Class do you have the luxury of spotting disk).

So where does that leave you? Well it leaves you participating in a discipline that has been so sportirzed that it skips some key parts of the fundamental principals (also look at you PRS with your silly 25lbs 6mm's). Frankly speaking the HP/F-Class community is a dying one as well and its no mystery that the market to support it is so niche. The reason you came here looking for options is because most products regarding cheek piece are geared toward having the cheek rest farther back, and now you know why. Again this is because the mechanics of AR charging handles and the fact that the mechanics of rifle marksmanship have progressed beyond the 1920's. If you enjoy living in a hundred year handicap then by all means do so, and I think a side charging AR is (paradoxically) the best way to go about it.

Damn, you are one funny dude :ROFLMAO:

I'm not even going to bother with correcting all the misconceptions and outright falsehoods regarding F-class in that post. I'll simple leave it at "you have no fucking clue".

That said, I'll admit I probably have plenty of room for improvement in terms of recoil management and 'driving' a gas gun. That part is sufficiently different from what I'm used to that I expect I need to do some adjustment.