• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjusting barrel harmonics to fit rifle cartridge

fast statue

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2021
Oakland, CA
Hi,

I know that the general idea of a hand-loading "development work up" process is to develop a cartridge that works with the barrel harmonics.

Does anyone know if it's ever been done the opposite way around? That is, has anyone ever tried to change their barrel harmonics to fit around a particular match grade OTC production rifle cartridge? E.g. by getting a long, 26.5 inch barrel for instance and chopping it down a quarter inch at a time to get information about what length barrel a cartridge likes (assuming length is the dominant factor in barrel harmonics - could be wrong there).

I am thinking that doing it this way, you could change a barrel once vs. having to hand load every cartridge every time. It probably wouldn't be as good as manual hand loading but if there is at least some consistency in manufacturing it might still be pretty good.

Maybe if this were easy or if there were a substantial market for it, Hornady would already be making guns or at least barreled action combos for specific factory cartridges. Or maybe they don't do it because "status quo" accuracy is good enough-- or at least more limited by the average shooter than by rifle/cartridges.

Anyway, kind of a pie in the sky question but I thought it was interesting and am curious to hear if anyone has any thoughts or information about this.

Thanks!

That's essentially the whole logic behind using a barrel tuner.

Research Browning BOSS. To my knowledge it was 1st on standard production rifle.

Oh, sweet! Thanks, I had never heard of barrel tuners or the BOSS barrel tuner before. That is exactly what I was thinking about.

For anyone who wasn't aware:

Thanks again

Yup, barrel tuners. With the adjustment on them I would think even just a few thou is enough of a harmonics change to have noticeable results

I think what the OP is talking about is exactly the issues those of us who shoot. 22 rimfire try to overcome.

Talk about ”measure once and cut twice...” Chopping a barrel to adjust barrel harmonics could work, but you wouldn’t know if you had hit the best harmonics for that load until you went too far. And, if your cuts are spaced too far apart, you might not see the adjustment you are looking for anyway. And and, there is no guarantee that the factory load that you set on will be the same in the future- for example, factory offerings typically don’t use “canister grade powder” and manufacturers retain the liberty to change the powder in a load at their discretion. As states above, a barrel tuner is what you are looking for.

kinetic security solutions- adaptive tuning system
Eric Cortina- EC Tuner Brake
Harrell Precision- Tuner brake
Without Warning- tuner muzzle brake brake

The above are 4 that do exactly what you are looking to do, and all that is required is that your rifle be threaded for a muzzle device.

Talk about ”measure once and cut twice...” Chopping a barrel to adjust barrel harmonics could work, but you wouldn’t know if you had hit the best harmonics for that load until you went too far. And, if your cuts are spaced too far apart, you might not see the adjustment you are looking for anyway. And and, there is no guarantee that the factory load that you set on will be the same in the future- for example, factory offerings typically don’t use “canister grade powder” and manufacturers retain the liberty to change the powder in a load at their discretion. As states above, a barrel tuner is what you are looking for.

kinetic security solutions- adaptive tuning system
Eric Cortina- EC Tuner Brake
Harrell Precision- Tuner brake
Without Warning- tuner muzzle brake brake

The above are 4 that do exactly what you are looking to do, and all that is required is that your rifle be threaded for a muzzle device.

Anecdotally, at the infamous "Houston Warehouse" they found that barrels that were 21.75" in length were the best shooters.

However, that in itself doesn't tell us much. We don't know what cartridges those were with, what projectiles, how the ammo was loaded, how 21.75" was measured, barrel contour, fluting/no fluting, or any other relevant information. We also don't know how that was determined/quantified, and by what margin they were better shooters. In fact, we know very little, besides that flippant anecdotal comment made in the article. Sorry for the detour - that was a very interesting read and had deja vu.

As you point out, it would be futile to chop down a barrel in increments until you found the alleged "harmonic sweet spot", for the reasons you posted and a plethora of others. It would be interesting to see the results of a mass study - but I doubt that will ever happen (limited capital, resources, time, etc.). I would suspect that without isolating all the variables, of which there are many, you wouldn't see many correlations. Correlations would probably appear pretty random, making every barrel appear unique as to how it works.

I find the current fascination with barrel tuners in our specific disciplines an interesting trend. I'm personally not 100% convinced of their utility, but I also make that statement as someone who hasn't personally played with one. I hate making a system anymore complicated then it needs to be, and adding something such as a barrel tuner is another potential point of failure - it wouldn't be fun for a barrel tuner to come loose during a match, and could be problematic to diagnose (if you didn't think to check it).

Reactions: oldiephrt
Been around a long time. Browning introduced one Called the BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System). I believe they can help to a point. However, I believe they really shine when you minimize the inconsistencies in your components. In other words it will only get you so far by itself. Even the best factory ammo has inconsistencies in neck concentricity, neck tension, bullet weight etc. I've been checking out the EC Tuner by Eric Cortina. May very well be my next purchase.

you need to develope load data , you cant just get a ton of factory loads and expect it to work with a barrel , i mean if it was that simple wouldn't people just shoot 22 lr ? oh wait....

(length ( if you get a muzzle device of an optimal length thats the same as a tuner) profile , rifling , chamber ect all effect obt)