• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing "Adjusting" foliage on the avenue of approach to my bear hunting spot?

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
Howdy

So this past weekend I found my new bear hunting spot while scootering around on my packraft. Unfortunately my camera passed away in its sleep last week, so no pictures until I get my disposable camera roll developed.

General description of the terrain:

I approach the site via a deep and slow creek/slough, the last two hundred yards of which I have to walk my boat as it shallows up. once I get to my boat drop-off point, I stow my boat, and shoot up this meter-wide spring-fed stream for approximately 75 yards. The stream moves under a thick, nasty grove of alders, and judging from the sign I found along the stream bed, is heavily trafficked by both species of bears, along with a number of Appetizer-sized critters.

Once through the alder gauntlet, I emerge into a beautiful grove of Spruce trees with wide open understory and huge fields of fire, with overwatch on two big meadows full of berry bushes and all other sorts of delicious bear-friendly stuff. The understory and meadows have well-used game trails shooting across all over the place, including a few that go up through the spruce grove toward the ridgeline above.

From the sign I identified, there is one small sow black bear and cub that transit the area, a decent sized Black bear of indeterminate sex, and a decent sized brown.

The approach through the tunnel of alder is extremely tight, magnified by the fact that the stream bed is about 1 meter lower than the surrounding terrain, and about halfway up, I realized just how utterly screwed I was if I ran into a Bruin, and rolled red-direct with my 1895 the rest of the time I was in there.

I really don't want to find myself opening an encounter with a bear already in knife-fighting range plus zero freedom-of-maneuver this fall, and am thinking of trimming back the alder along the stream bed with a shrub-lopper. nothing too extensive, just enough to where I don't have to low-crawl up the stream bed, and allow me to bring my rifle on target if I were to run into something nasty while in there.

the hunt will be at least a month or two from now, and possibly next spring. Will this negatively affect trail use by the bears? How would they react to such a change in their surroundings?

Any further wisdom you have regarding this adventure would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Don't know about bear, but for deer hunting it wouldn't hurt anything. They would probably start using your trail though. So it may be more of an invitation for a close encounter!

Interesting. Chopping up the alder would increase my chances of getting a bead on the sucker though, and enable me to drag stuff/dead bear in and out from the hide site. That stream's the only way through

It's a hair-raising experience being in that alder bramble, once I get those pictures developed I'll post them for you.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Got my Harvest tickets from ADFG, and I'm heading out tomorrow morning to put up some trail cams, then camp out in a Spruce tree for the night while overwatching the area. I'll post pictures if anything awesome happens.

I would not touch anything they can be very cautious about change

Man, I wish you had hit me up 24 hours ago.

got about half the stream cleared yesterday. most all of it is dead alder, I've only cut one or two green shoots. Luckily, I stopped trimming about ten yards before the first crossing though. we'll see next week whether there's any change in pattern.

I put up two trail cameras, one watching the scratching post they've been using plus a huge stretch of trail. The other is watching a spot along the stream where a heavily trafficked bear trail crosses. Found a few more nice trails along the way, I'm in the middle of drawing up a map to better illustrate what I'm up to, and will post it tomorrow once I'm done.

For now, here's the test pics from my two trail cams

There's the one overlooking the trail/scratching post. It takes a second to see the outline of the trail, but it's there, and pretty well used. I'll post pics of the scat (full of hair) and a picture of the clump of Brown bear fur I found when I get the pictures developed.

Here's the cam watching the game trail shooting off of the stream (Stream is behind camera). the quality sucks because of the time of day, but should be spot-on in early morning and late evening when they move through.

Sprayed both cameras down with a healthy dose of fox urine, we'll see if that works to keep them from chewing on the cameras.

I guess this thread is changing from a "How do I..." to a "Here's what I'm doing". Your advice is more than welcome. I'll continue to keep you all posted on The Burlington Coat Factory Saga.

Here's the map.

elevation is in feet, each line equals a change in El of ten.

the dark green on the hills is Picea (Spruce), the green surrounding the stream and creek is Alnus (Alder), and the light green is Calamagrostis canadensis (a high-protein tall grass that bears eat when there is no salmon or berries, etc.) swamp meadows.

the camera positions are marked on the map.

For scale, I measured the length of the trail from the Boat drop-off point to the spruce treeline as 375 feet. I trimmed the alder deadfall over the stream for the first 200 feet, stopping before reaching the first trail crossing the stream.

damn dude! *mental note to add box of crayons to shooting bag* I can not tell you how many times i've been out with my shooting buddies and tried to explain to them to look somewhere and they have this "deer in headlights" look. drawing a map like that would be pretty beneficial.

So cam 1 is on the right, and cam 2 is on the left. the "bear den" is what exactly? and are you going to be up in a blind for this or a tree stand? Im assuming you will have to sled the carcass down the little stream to the boat drop off area? how deep is it across that part of the stream? Will you be able to drag a bear across there?

I always bring a Moleskine notebook and a pencil whenever I go into the woods to draw maps and take notes. I did the colored pencils in my laboratory this morning (sometimes pictures can't fully explain what a pine tree cell undergoing mitosis looks like). The "Bear den" is a guess as to what lays further up that trail, judging by the merging of about a dozen trails and complete lack of scat in the area. Plus, I've only seen sow+cub tracks on those trails, so I did an immediate about-face and went back to the north side of the stream to follow the brown bear sign.

I want nothing to do with running into her or her cub, so I'm going to give them space.

I'm thinking about putting up a tree stand within the next few weeks above Camera 1 (depending on what I see on the trail cameras). That's the safe bet right now. If not, I'm going to just find some nice spots to overwatch the meadows and just set up without a stand/blind. the meadow on the north side looks like the best spot for that with all the edible berries, it'll just REALLY suck dragging a bear out of that blasted swampy meadow crap.

The stream under the alders is about an inch or two deep and about two feet wide. I'd gut, skin, and quarter on site and bring out the parts to the boat using my packframe. The only part of packing out the bear that would suck is getting across the main creek to the Boat due to the quicksand. gotta move fast, or you'll sink up to your knee

The main creek is deep enough to let me pull the boat with a line (~3-4 inches) for a bit, then gets deep enough after the old beaver dam for me to get in and paddle out. Lucky for me, the site is only accessible (due to the depth and quicksand) by packraft, so no Slednecks in 4 wheelers or Jetboats can spoil my fun. Even better, the only way to get a suitable boat launched on that creek is to portage it for a mile through swamp meadows and alder bramble.

Heading out there on Saturday to get them. Hopefully I'll have a nice glamour shot of that big Brown Bear.

Well, it looks like I suck at placing trailcams. Only got one picture of a bear. the rest of them are shots of wind. mondo sad face.

I'm going back out next weekend with a buddy who has more experience with trail cams to reposition both of them. Didn't see any new sign on any of the trails though, and I think my furred friends might be shifting their habits due to the salmon runs. luckily the silvers will be coming in about a mile from that spot in about ten days, so things may get a little exciting.

At least I know what the place looks like when the lighting is good.

Here's that bear I was telling you about. I think I saw him at Mad Myrna's last week. Little on the fat side....

I have two A5's out there right now. Only thing I've run into that is a problem so far, is that if you use that Moultrie picture viewer thing to copy the photos off of your TrailCam's SD card, then delete them off of the card, the SD will no longer work in your trailcam.

So right now, I've only one operational trailcam, because I had to bring one of the SD cards back to my house to reformat it. Bringing spares from now on.

I just got photos back from the developer, so I'll scan them in and post them up, hopefully on Thursday night.

Sorry it'll take so long, but I have to give a presentation on how I just wasted twenty thousand dollars of research Grant from NSF trying to develop a nutrient-wicking technique for spruce trees and wound up causing massive bacterial and fungal infections on my test subjects.

Speaking of which, I need test subjects for my human trials. Don't worry, I'm totally legit.

Yay, photos finally got back from the developer.

Here's the guided tour.

As I mentioned, gotta packraft up a creek

Get to the boat Drop-off

Grab your cahones and crawl up that stream.

Check out all of the sign in the stream bed

And after a world-class brushbusting experience, come out into this.

My trail cam is looking back the other way from this above picture.

The stream continues up the mountain, creating a really neat little gully (below)

And above my tree stand site, it just continues to have open understory filled with blueberries and watermelonberries

Heading back out this sunday to reposition the trailcams. maybe I got some new pics, but I doubt it.

Good to know, Charvey. Thanks.

So I went out there this morning, repositioned the camera, and nearly had a bad aquatic experience. Will post Video and Pics within next 24. They're pretty hilarious. Found some pretty awesome sign, and it looks like we may have found a better way to access the site. Mostly because the water rose three feet in less than an hour and we had to improvise.

Suffice to say, we found a Scratching post with claw marks that were in the neighborhood of 9-10 feet high. I could barely touch them with the tip of my 1903A3 while standing. Bringing the chest waders this morning was a fantastic idea.

Last edited:
Click on the videos and it'll pop up as a new tab and play for you.

(VIDEO) This one is my buddy and I in the stream leading up to the first trail cam.

Mind you, the water was over waist high an hour later.

(VIDEO)Me putting the new SD card in the trail cam

Pointing at the highest scratch mark with my 03A3

Another scratching post, with a VersaMax 12 Ga 18 inch barrel for scale

The Waterfall

Bear trail, next to all of the scratching posts

more stream pics

Bear food...everywhere....

But yeah. little wet. Remember this photo?

(VIDEO) This is the same place:

it had been raining cats and dogs for three days straight. Definitely going to get some five gallon buckets, fill them with emergency supplies, and hang them in the trees this winter.

I'm using the Tac Tailor 2 piece MAV with dump pouch, two 3xMag pouches(hold electronics well) 70 oz camelback in tac tailor hydrobag, and my SSILK (a 173rd ABN first aid kit).

They're still dirty as hell from OEF VIII and X, but it turns out it works freakin awesome when you're moving through tight bullcrap or over hilly terrain.

I carry my journal, camera, GPS (only when on featureless tundra, but I have the room), map, compass, IR beacon, and beef jerky in the dump pouch

the mag pouches: one carries the trail cam paraphernalia, the other carries my ammo (3-6 stripper clips of 30-06 or 150 rounds and 3 mags of 22WMR)

the SSILK holds a TON of trauma stuff, chemlight buzzsaws, and a few extra batteries for the IR beacon. Of course, none of that beacon stuff is worth a damn unless you tell somebody where you're going.

Plus a skinning knife.

using our old FLC vests is pretty trendy among my friends. At first I was thinking "Oh sweet God, I look like an Airsoft poser weenie running around the woods like this", but after a day or so of brushbusting stupidity, I realized that I was doing a lot better than I was with a full pack. So now, I keep my ruck in a tree/with the raft while I tool around with my bare essential stuff.

My buddy Brandon has some slightly better pouches, which keep things a little more compact than my "Hey, I still have this crap" rig that he got from TAG or somebody. everything's tighter to his body, which is kinda important for somebody 5'0".

Those big pouches can be a pain though.

Thanks Bud! Im looking for something similar to setup a hunting load because frankly..i would rather have my shit in a chest rig rather than a big ass (2 day) back pack. Just seems to work better if you need to get your Range Finder out in a hurry, or have handy access to the GPS, ammo, etc etc. I saw this article from ITS and immediately thought almost a perfect hunting rig What Does a Military Combat Tracker?s EDC Consist Of? John Hurth of TÝR Group Walks us Through His Loadout : ITS Tactical so thats why I asked. Thanks alot and am looking forward to seeing that bear you end up nabbing ;-)

so am I. Getting my Brown Bear tag from ADFG after lunch. Also gonna get a few flats of 12 Gauge for skeet this weekend to prep for bird season on the first. Man, my shopping lists kick ass.

Wow, I just realized, Duck season opening day is a holiday!!! woo-hoo!!!!

If you go in a few weeks before season to knock down the bigger stuff, then go back the week before opening day, you should not have any problems. If the lower foliage gets tough, you might think about for next year, spreading water softener salt on the trail. It kills some of the foliage and doesn't have a really obnoxious smell.

But don't do anything for a week before season.

Good luck,
Victor

the area's brackish, and Alder is notoriously tough, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm also hitting the site from a different spot, and season starts on Monday....

Almost game time.

np and thanks

UPDATE: Going out to the site on Friday, and *THANK GOD* I picked the spot that I did (ie: not on Kenai National Wildlife Refuge). USFWS just closed KNWR (roughly half of the Kenai peninsula) because "Bears are fluffy and cuddly and taking 50-70 bears a year out of a population of 700 is unsustainable"

Obviously, *This* Biologist disagrees.

to clarify: Fish and Wildlife Service are a bunch of hippies, and suck at conservation science.

Finally have some time to post. WAY too much to do this week with the Veteran/First Responder Art Gallery.

Anywho, I decided to walk out to the hunting spot this weekend. The swamp meadows between my truck and the bear spot are atrocious. absolutely atrocious. Just as bad, if not worse than tundra.
So after about two hours of slogging through that mess, and stirring up a dozen big fat wood ducks (my duck loads were in the truck!!!), I made it to my spot.

When I checked the trail cams, the forest cam came up with nothing. I had two pictures, and for some odd reason they were in Night vision mode, in spite of the timestamp saying mid-afternoon.
The trailcam on the stream had 130 some-odd photos.

I was excited.

Then I flipped through them when I got home, and sure enough, it had just been ridiculously windy for about five days. and this:

Nothing like a Cow Moose's ass to brighten up my day. Showed it to my buddy last night in Statistics class and he got super excited. In a "hunting" way. That area has an antlerless hunt, and if that calf is as big as he looks (he's standing in the stream, which makes him look significantly shorter. he's about 5 1/2 feet at the shoulder), then both of them are fair game.

So yeah. if my buddy nabs one of them, I have a gut pile to watch, and there's evidence that a wolf pack is operating in the area.

Win-Win.

Back to the trailcams: I moved the stream camera up the hill a few hundred meters to that hellacious scratching post (there's a picture above of me standing next to it holding a versamax 12 gauge), and get this nonsense--there's a dead tree right in front of my forest trailcam that has been TORN TO PIECES. I think it may be just out of the motion detection range of my trailcam, but it was just completely toasted sometime in the last three weeks by something big.

Here's the pic. I added the red arrow to point out the destroyed tree.

I think I would get different cams if I were you. It seems like no easy task to get to yours. I don't trust my A5 at all. As a experiment I put my primos next to the Moultrie. I know it is missing deer. We will see next week. For a similarly priced unit I would recommend the primos ultra 35 or wildgame innovations. I want to try a Bushnell cam as I have heard great things about them. If I had to go through the same process of getting to my cams as you I would go reconyx. Pricey but they flat out work!

Vil,
Cool thread thanks for sharing.
Ref trail cams i'll throw out the following, IF you can swing it promotive has some deals on them. I picked this stealth cam up a lil while back and it does a nice job:
Stealth Cam E38NXT 8 MP Trail Camera : Cabela's
The sound on the video is very cool feature I had on my other stealth cam.
As far as the "spare" cards, I always have to swap mine out never got around to buying a viewer. I use this for keeping my cards easy to find so i dont have dig around for'm:
Pelican? 0915 SD Card Case
Good luck with the bears keep us posted.
Not sure if you have done this or not before but if you keep a cam out while your hunting you MAY get a video/pic of your shot AND if successful can put it on the gut pile to see what comes to clean it up.

Last edited:
Nice, I've been growing ever more concerned with the trail cams, and will likely change them out when my budget allows. I had to swing those moultries because it was the end of the summer, and my research stipend was running out fast(plus I had to buy duck ammo, etc.)

Definitely checking out the links and brands you guys suggested though. Thanks!

Also, Saturday, we're assembling the duck army for a free-for-all. and my buddy's grabbing the antlerless tag. this is going to rock socks.

So I went out to the bear spot yesterday, and found quite a few interesting things. First, a new trail running northward from my spot with fresh bear poo. took a stick and dug around, and it appears that this particular bear has switched to an herbivorous diet for this final stretch before hibernation. Next, while I was walking down from my second trail cam (the one now watching the scratching post, which has turned up NOTHING), I saw a huge pile of bark pieces surrounding a huge spruce tree.

But the bark was intact. so I backed up and looked high up in the tree, and found huge scoring marks about 60 ft high. from the size of the marks, it was likely a large black bear. too large to be a brown bear cub. Likely, from the moose sign in the area, that cow I photographed a few weeks ago ran into Baloo and chased his ass up the tree to protect her calf.

Being curious, I followed the new northward trail through the forest.

I am now referring to this as Mistake #1

I moved along the woodline for about a kilometer, until I reached a "climb out" point where I could stalk through the meadows and jack me some mallard ducks. there was a super deep muskeg pond blocking my way, and it ran all the way to the woodline, which had a nice 30 foot cliff at that point. So I doubled back a hundred yards or so and went back up into the treeline

Mistake #2: I kept trying to move northward. Like a dumbass.

so I get about 200 meters up the slope and continue moving north. the whole place is lousy with small game (ermine, wolverine, porcupine, etc), and a family of Bald Eagles (we'll get back to those winged duck-stealing bastards later)

So I get to a point where the trail is pretty goat-tastic, and discover, much to my dismay, that it's a fox trail over loam that is barely hanging onto the cliff.

After nearly going over the side and enduring a drop to rather unpleasant-looking water, I decided "Well, this is it, I may die getting out of this one", scrambled to the nearest safe-looking tree, and surprisingly found that I had REALLY good signal.

I texted my buddy Brandon, and told him where I was, what I was trying to do, and that if he didn't hear from me in 10 minutes, to send the troopers with cadaver dogs.

I then proceed back south to extract myself, and that's when the ground gave out from under me. I started sliding down the incline, with magnificent granite cliff below, and somehow managed to hook my arm around a Sitka Spruce tree. then the phone rang.

thinking it was my buddy right before he calls the troopers, I jostled my 12 gauge to the securing arm and answered the phone.

"Hey dude, you listening to NPR Right now? they're talking about you or something" My buddy allen says

"Look man, I'm kinda hanging off of a cliff right now..."

"Oh. Gotcha. Good luck with that" and he hung up.

after that, I safely got back down, and as I was on my way across the meadow, I saw a nice flight of mallards coming my way. Shot at the lead duck, and that winged Houdini ducked his neck back and swerved to avoid the shot column. as I was about to get the second blast into them, those Eagles intervened. Nobody wants to shoot a bald eagle, so I sat there for a minute and watched those eagles tear into that clever mallard I had shot at.

After that, I went back home and played MarioKart with the woman on super nintendo and ate some barbeque from the Turnagain ArmPit. I think I'm going to move those trailcams to watch that route though. it looks like the better bet. That, and getting some non-crappy trailcams is on the list too. Right after I get the woman a shotgun.

"Hey dude, you listening to NPR Right now? they're talking about you or something" My buddy allen says

"Look man, I'm kinda hanging off of a cliff right now..."

"Oh. Gotcha. Good luck with that" and he hung up.

absolutely EPIC conversation!!! Glad you made it out of there in one piece"ish"...

Still waiting to see a bear and a happy grin show up in one of these pictures :-D

lol yeah no kidding, I can't wait to get on one of these furred fools. there is a ton of activity back there, and my trailcams have caught nothing!

meh, I'll move the cams next weekend when I go duck hunting

Hey.

So I moved the trail cams last week while duck hunting. Still no photos. BUT, tons of fresh bear scat lying around.

I went to go and check them yesterday while duck hunting, but.... yeah.... about the river....

When I walked in at 5 AM, the slough was dry. The main river is glacier-fed, so when fall starts, the glaciers stop melting, and the river drops six feet in flow. it's pretty dramatic. because the main river wasn't so high, the slough was just as reduced because now there wasn't any backpressure to keep it high.

I went to my duck spot, set out my decoys and folding chair, poured some coffee, and killed some mallards. After a while, I got a little chilled, so I decided to take a walk to warm up. That's when I found out that the tide had come in. Highest tide of the month. and that trickle was now just as filled as it was when we did this video:

So I was kinda sorta on the south side of the river in a lowground spot faced with a river about to flood over into the marsh I was occupying with no high ground. It was interesting, but not too bad. Just had to sit in my chair for another 4 hours and shoot mallards until the tide went back down.

I'll get the trailcam pics when I go out again