• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Adjusting gas-block and suppressor

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Curious about one thing for someone who has used a suppressor. The Armalite AR-10 SASS boasts having an adjustable gas block to optimize the gas for use with a suppressor and prevent mis-feeds. Has anyone had any experience with this system and what do you think? Have you had any feeding problems without adjustable gas systems when using a suppressor on a semi-auto? Thanks.

Re: Adjusting gas-block and suppressor

I do not use an adjustable gas block with any of my suppressed AR's and I have never had any issues related to the suppressor, mis-feeds or otherwise.

I have shot suppressed AR-15's at carbine classes and I have done a couple long range classes with my suppressed AR-10 and none of them missed a beat. IMHO adjustable gas blocks are a work around, if the rifle is built properly from the beginning, to be shoot suppressed, you should not need one.

If you want to turn the gas return off to make the rifle a single shot, then I can see the need for one.

IMG_2017Large.jpg

Thanks for the input. Nice setup you have there. Is that an Armalite? I can't quite tell but that looks like the Armalite stamp on the mag well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not use an adjustable gas block with any of my suppressed AR's and I have never had any issues related to the suppressor, mis-feeds or otherwise.

I have shot suppressed AR-15's at carbine classes and I have done a couple long range classes with my suppressed AR-10 and none of them missed a beat. IMHO adjustable gas blocks are a work around, if the rifle is built properly from the beginning, to be shoot suppressed, you should not need one.

If you want to turn the gas return off to make the rifle a single shot, then I can see the need for one.

IMG_2017Large.jpg
</div></div>

Actually an adjustable has many uses on a well built rifle. Not only can it help to compensate for the extra gas directed into the action when running a suppressor, you can also tailor the gas to different loads which can help with recoil and spotting hits.

Smokeshwn,
I've got an Armalite AR-10 SASS with the adjustable gas-block. So I was curious about how effective it is from someone that has experience with suppressors and/or adjustable gas blocks. Since I know Armalite builds a pretty good rifle (it ought to be for what I paid for it) I guessing it will perform well with or without a suppressor. I don't have a supressor for it yet but it's something I'll acquire in the future for my rig.

If you will be running the gun with AND without a suppressor then the adj. block may prove very useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input. Nice setup you have there. Is that an Armalite? I can't quite tell but that looks like the Armalite stamp on the mag well. </div></div>

Yes, it is and for a while I used the Armalite adjustable gas block, but it made no difference in my shooting so I removed it and went back to a normal gas block. One less moving part.