• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Adjusting wind calls on the fly

NodakBarbarian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2019
North Dakota
How do you compute percent increase/decreases in wind calls quickly under time? Say there is a 5 target troop line, first target you shoot .6 mils L but needed .8, so a 33% increase. You had all your targets at 10 MPH. How do you “take that out” to the rest of the targets? I want to know what the pros do, and how to do it quickly. Trying to add 33% to my remaining wind calls, in addition to figuring out what that initial percent increase/decrease was, doesn’t sound feasible to do under time, plus it could change next target or the target after, then would have to start over. And let’s say the remaining 4 targets all have different crosswind values because they’re at 12:30,1,1:30, and 3 o’clock, just to make it a bit tougher. I guess I’m just looking to get a strategy/game plan for the best follow up wind call, instead of a guess that could easily be off .3mil compared to if you crunched the numbers or had a kestrel do it, but don’t have time for that while on a stage, especially if say your wind call was let’s say .6 but needed 2.0 and your next target is 400 yards further. @Dthomas3523 @Cjwise5

Last edited:
A lot of guys will do 2 or 3 wind calls and make "brackets". Depending on the layout it might follow that a 5mph wind thats actually 7 will follow for the rest of the targets. Use the 7mph column for the rest. Might not depending on the terrain. Ive found Im better getting my best estimate on one wind call and adjusting from there.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
If you know the delta from your first call to the actual impact, you now have the correct wind speed for all distances. As Captain Morgan said, the easiest way to do it is to follow your new wind bracket. Another way to do it is to add .2 to your call for every mid-range target (800 and in, for example), and add .3 past 800.

Try not to think in percentages. It is very hard to do under stress. As Emil Praslik says: “A known wind at one distance confirms winds at all distances”. That is not 100% true, but it’s a super easy method to use when you’re short on time and brain cells (like when the shot timer is going).

If you know the delta from your first call to the actual impact, you now have the correct wind speed for all distances. As Captain Morgan said, the easiest way to do it is to follow your new wind bracket. Another way to do it is to add .2 to your call for every mid-range target (800 and in, for example), and add .3 past 800.

Try not to think in percentages. It is very hard to do under stress. As Emil Praslik says: “A known wind at one distance confirms winds at all distances”. That is not 100% true, but it’s a super easy method to use when you’re short on time and brain cells (like when the shot timer is going).
But what if your crosswind values are different for each remaining target, the simple adding of .2-.3 wouldn’t work well.

What if one target needed 1.5 additional mils, which fell well outside your wind bracket?

But what if your crosswind values are different for each remaining target, the simple adding of .2-.3 wouldn’t work well.

What if one target needed 1.5 additional mils, which fell well outside your wind bracket?
What you have described is a very complex situation. Honestly, with varying wind values, it would be difficult to know without sending a bullet. However, if your squad mates are helpful, they might say something like "Run your 5mph bracket out to 800, then go to 7mph".

You can sometimes tell by looking at the terrain features if the wind will increase as you go out. Additionally, since the bullet's flight trajectory is higher the further out you shoot, you likely WILL have to go to a different wind value at further targets.

Usually, there's a way to cover the target with all of your wind calls if the target is generous enough. Once you have this information and if you can shoot quickly, you have more information than 90% of the people you compete against. If your wind call is off by .1 or .2, this means you are getting good at it! If you have a wind call that's off by 1.5 mils, it's time to practice that wind calling or get some training! Most good shooters can call wind to within a few tenths at 800 yards.

Reactions: Forward543
Emil "The Wind Wizard" Praslick had said in closing Monday during his Applied Ballistics Virtual Wind Class that finding the wind percentage and then applying it to either your dope, data, or wind MPH is everything. He said then you take that all the way out. My question, is how do you do that quickly under the clock? What strategies do people employ to compute that quickly? Do people make up little charts to be worn on their arm with percentages of numbers?

Last edited:
Emil "The Wind Wizard" Praslick had said in closing Monday during his Applied Ballistics Virtual Wind Class that finding the wind percentage and then applying it to either your dope, data, or wind MPH is everything. He said then you take that all the way out. My question, is how do you do that quickly under the clock? What strategies to people employ to compute that quickly? Do people make up little charts to be worn on their arm with percentages of numbers?
Yes sir. When I'm feeling confident on the wind, I'll make up 2 wind columns for my dope card. If I'm not, I'll have 5. That way, all of your possibilities are worked out beforehand. The final ingredient (and likely the most important), is spotting the EXACT spot of your impact on your first shot. For example, if you sent a .6 and actually hit at .7, you need to be able to spot that on the target when the bullet hits.

Same on wind brackets. I like 3 brackets. Max, min and what i think is average(initial wind call). Sometimes 5 brackets, but that is alot to process. Make sure to check angle(of wind) and terrain for each target.
If you send your first rounds and watch, you get the intel you need. Then adjust to thr proper bracket.

I’m looking for something to use that is more accurate to take from the impact of one target to the next. At the B&T Box Canyon match this year in Kansas one stage spanned 160 degrees and had 5 targets on the top of bluffs from 500-1200 yards, the wind started as 2.0L and finished at 4.5R. For that stage I needed something more than wind brackets because it was a shifty wind that made it hard to pin down a full value MPH because of the direction changes. Austin Orgain either cleaned it or got a 9. I want to find someone who successfully uses a percentage based correction system based off the projected wind hold and actual needed hold, I’m thinking maybe memorizing a chart with different percentages of numbers could be something to explore.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
The BC Method or MPH Gun absolutely works... that is fact.

You can adjust the angle using the charts Jackmaster has put out

Hey @lowlight , i keep a laminated copy of this in my range binder for match use. Had it with me this weekend at Phil and Caylen's course and i passed it around to the class when the wind rose was mentioned. People dug it.

We are creating systems that work and Ted is a huge part of simplifying it.

The charts on here, from Weaponized Math, to the MPH Gun Bracket Sheets, to the Wind Angle all work

it's really that simple, we are at the forefront of this, through OUR classes and beyond we have created a way to get people on target faster and easier, and then to take that data and translate to software in record time, pre-Trued.

It's that easy, SH is leading by example

I’m looking for something to use that is more accurate to take from the impact of one target to the next. At the B&T Box Canyon match this year in Kansas one stage spanned 160 degrees and had 5 targets on the top of bluffs from 500-1200 yards, the wind started as 2.0L and finished at 4.5R. For that stage I needed something more than wind bracket because it was a shifty wind that made it hard to pin down a full value MPH because of the direction changes. Austin Orgain either cleaned it or got a 9. I want to find someone who successfully uses a percentage based correction system based off the projected wind hold and actual needed hold, I’m thinking maybe memorizing a chart with different percentages of number could be something to explore.
I've shot with Austin Orgain many times and I can guarantee you on that stage he used multiple wind columns just like everyone is describing in this thread. For each target you adjust the wind angle and write down wind columns of various wind magnitudes. If one wind magnitude worked on the first target for a center hit it will most likely work for the next target to get on plate.

He may have also shot it early in the day when there was less variability in the wind. Late in the day that stage was brutal. If the wind isn't consistent then none of these methods work.

We are creating systems that work and Ted is a huge part of simplifying it.

The charts on here, from Weaponized Math, to the MPH Gun Bracket Sheets, to the Wind Angle all work

it's really that simple, we are at the forefront of this, through OUR classes and beyond we have created a way to get people on target faster and easier, and then to take that data and translate to software in record time, pre-Trued.

It's that easy, SH is leading by example
I will be studying all of these then and working towards how to put them to use quickly while under time.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I've shot with Austin Orgain many times and I can guarantee you on that stage he used multiple wind columns just like everyone is describing in this thread. For each target you adjust the wind angle and write down wind columns of various wind magnitudes. If one wind magnitude worked on the first target for a center hit it will most likely work for the next target to get on plate.

He may have also shot it early in the day when there was less variability in the wind. Late in the day that stage was brutal. If the wind isn't consistent then none of these methods work.
It was my last stage of the day :/

Spotting where your shots land on or off the plate is the key to victory here, if you don't know where on the plate you hit it'll be hard to determine actual MPH down range. And as you walk your troop line out your margin of error will grow and you'll go off target.

I’m looking for something to use that is more accurate to take from the impact of one target to the next. At the B&T Box Canyon match this year in Kansas one stage spanned 160 degrees and had 5 targets on the top of bluffs from 500-1200 yards, the wind started as 2.0L and finished at 4.5R. For that stage I needed something more than wind brackets because it was a shifty wind that made it hard to pin down a full value MPH because of the direction changes. Austin Orgain either cleaned it or got a 9. I want to find someone who successfully uses a percentage based correction system based off the projected wind hold and actual needed hold, I’m thinking maybe memorizing a chart with different percentages of numbers could be something to explore.

I'm definitely in the camp of writing out a wind bracket on a big troop line at longer range, jumping into the next column is the easiest, lowest mental effort way to keep on top of what the wind is doing. On multi-target stages at closer range I usually only write out one column or don't even write it at all if it's easy to memorize (ie hold 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, just add a tenth to whatever was the last hold).

With big sweeping stages where you pan across the wind value, it does get harder. You can still write out your wind bracket based on angle for each, but looking at the wind chart you can see that the value of the wind gets really sensitive to angle as you rotate through 12:00. If the wind is switchy in direction where it moves an hour or two on the clock, that's going to have a big effect on hold for the targets close to noon but won't have much any affect on the full value targets. Then when shooting that stage if you see a miss on one of the middle targets you need to decide if that was due to wind speed change or due to wind angle change to decide what to do with the remaining targets.

I don't really think a math % approach is the way I'd tackle it, there's too much going on my head on the clock as it is. For me the best approach has been to just spend as much time as possible glassing while people shoot, noting the wind pick-ups, let-offs, and angle and even making a number call in my head before they pull the trigger on each target. If your squad mates are open to discussion, asking a question like "what did you hold on target 3" (when the wind rotated) or "What did you end up at?" can help verify/calibrate your own thoughts on your call vs the actual outcome. All this helps me to have a big picture plan in my head, then when I step up to the line I'll feel the wind direction, decide if I'm in the high/low/average speed column, then run it. Pretty much all my train wreck stages I can point back to bad decisions made in the heat of the moment, so freeing up mental clarity and focus for wind plan has been helpful.

I'm definitely in the camp of writing out a wind bracket on a big troop line at longer range, jumping into the next column is the easiest, lowest mental effort way to keep on top of what the wind is doing. On multi-target stages at closer range I usually only write out one column or don't even write it at all if it's easy to memorize (ie hold 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, just add a tenth to whatever was the last hold).

With big sweeping stages where you pan across the wind value, it does get harder. You can still write out your wind bracket based on angle for each, but looking at the wind chart you can see that the value of the wind gets really sensitive to angle as you rotate through 12:00. If the wind is switchy in direction where it moves an hour or two on the clock, that's going to have a big effect on hold for the targets close to noon but won't have much any affect on the full value targets. Then when shooting that stage if you see a miss on one of the middle targets you need to decide if that was due to wind speed change or due to wind angle change to decide what to do with the remaining targets.

I don't really think a math % approach is the way I'd tackle it, there's too much going on my head on the clock as it is. For me the best approach has been to just spend as much time as possible glassing while people shoot, noting the wind pick-ups, let-offs, and angle and even making a number call in my head before they pull the trigger on each target. If your squad mates are open to discussion, asking a question like "what did you hold on target 3" (when the wind rotated) or "What did you end up at?" can help verify/calibrate your own thoughts on your call vs the actual outcome. All this helps me to have a big picture plan in my head, then when I step up to the line I'll feel the wind direction, decide if I'm in the high/low/average speed column, then run it. Pretty much all my train wreck stages I can point back to bad decisions made in the heat of the moment, so freeing up mental clarity and focus for wind plan has been helpful.
Thank you for the insight, that is all helpful. Question, when you shoot the big sweeping stages with switchy wind can you walk me through your process of how you quickly decide and calculate what your correction is going to be, especially when you can't easily jump from one bracket to the next and need to factor in corrected wind speed for angle.

Last edited:
Question, when you shoot the big sweeping stages with switchy wind can you walk me through your process of how you quickly decide and calculate what your correction is going to be, especially when you can't easily jump from one bracket to the next and need to factor in corrected wind sped for angle.

I suppose it's sort of a gut-reaction call on the fly, based on having watched the wind and other shooters before. If I had to boil it down it would be two decisions - wind speed and wind angle. I would try to pay attention to wind speed for all the full value targets and stick in the correct bracket, then when I got close to the one "key" middle target that was closest to 12:00 I'd be watching the wind angle more than the speed.

Usually by the time I'm ready to shoot mental prep an example might look like this: Outer left and right targets are full value L and R at 0.8 to 1.2L and 0.6 to 0.8R depending on whether the wind is picked up or let off. The middle target is going to be either right edge, straight up, or as much as 0.5L depending on wind angle. If I miss the middle shot due to a bad call on wind angle, I still might hold to my outer value targets in line with the plan as they are still mostly full value regardless of the slight angle change and my miss. The bad call on angle might not have anything to do with a wind speed change.

How do you compute percent increase/decreases in wind calls quickly under time? Say there is a 5 target troop line, first target you shoot .6 mils L but needed .8, so a 33% increase. You had all your targets at 10 MPH. How do you “take that out” to the rest of the targets? I want to know what the pros do, and how to do it quickly. Trying to add 33% to my remaining wind calls, in addition to figuring out what that initial percent increase/decrease was, doesn’t sound feasible to do under time, plus it could change next target or the target after, then would have to start over. And let’s say the remaining 4 targets all have different crosswind values because they’re at 12:30,1,1:30, and 3 o’clock, just to make it a bit tougher. I guess I’m just looking to get a strategy/game plan for the best follow up wind call, instead of a guess that could easily be off .3mil compared to if you crunched the numbers or had a kestrel do it, but don’t have time for that while on a stage, especially if say your wind call was let’s say .6 but needed 2.0 and your next target is 400 yards further. @Dthomas3523 @Cjwise5

So, a couple things.

- Emil is a wind guru. Everything he says is pure gold. But, keep in mind, in many disciplines you have a lot of time to literally map out wind for quite a while and then spend more time shooting. Also things like flags are available in some disciplines.

- Under the short par times typically seen in PRS, almost no one is going to be able to make extremely good calls at distance on the fly. At least not like people do in other disciplines without have such short part times.

That being said, when you’re not shooting, unless you’re doing something like catching brass or keeping score, you should be glued to your binos or spotter. If you’re not, you’re wrong…..that simple. You’re wasting time you could be using.

The shooters who do adjust on the fly already have a very, very solid plan for handling the wind. The adjustments made on the fly are very small adjustments when they see or feel the wind pick up or drop off.

That plan usually includes a bracket of wind for “high and low” values and they adjust between those based on what they see and feel in a very, very short amount of time.

You should also be very familiar with the bullet and speed you are running. Then you almost automatically know “in this type of wind, I’m going to be .3 more wind at the next target.” As wind is the vudoo part of shooting. The more you know your rifle, the better you will be.

Lastly, much of the stuff that people who seem to be great at wind in prs…..is just a few very small things. That’s the important part of having a plan or system.

You can find a thread I made about a wind strategy for any shooter who isn’t in the very top of the pack. I also did a podcast on the same subject.

So, a couple things.

- Emil is a wind guru. Everything he says is pure gold. But, keep in mind, in many disciplines you have a lot of time to literally map out wind for quite a while and then spend more time shooting. Also things like flags are available in some disciplines.

- Under the short par times typically seen in PRS, almost no one is going to be able to make extremely good calls at distance on the fly. At least not like people do in other disciplines without have such short part times.

That being said, when you’re not shooting, unless you’re doing something like catching brass or keeping score, you should be glued to your binos or spotter. If you’re not, you’re wrong…..that simple. You’re wasting time you could be using.

The shooters who do adjust on the fly already have a very, very solid plan for handling the wind. The adjustments made on the fly are very small adjustments when they see or feel the wind pick up or drop off.

That plan usually includes a bracket of wind for “high and low” values and they adjust between those based on what they see and feel in a very, very short amount of time.

You should also be very familiar with the bullet and speed you are running. Then you almost automatically know “in this type of wind, I’m going to be .3 more wind at the next target.” As wind is the vudoo part of shooting. The more you know your rifle, the better you will be.

Lastly, much of the stuff that people who seem to be great at wind in prs…..is just a few very small things. That’s the important part of having a plan or system.

You can find a thread I made about a wind strategy for any shooter who isn’t in the very top of the pack. I also did a podcast on the same subject.
Thanks for the knowledge. I’ll look for that thread. What podcast?

I started noodling around writing a program to help visualize the W and E hold offs for pretty much any distance.

This is just an early development concept of the program.

Each blue line is 100 yards
Each green line represents 10 MPH of wind.
The red line represents the zero wind spin drift line.

This obviously does not compensate to the minute for weather but wind holds should transfer nicely as well as the elevation offset for wind speed changes.

The values can be populated according to expected local weather parameters, to make it more accurate.

A zoomed in version can be printed for each stage and the targets drawn in to scale using the current wind call.

1637723303388.png

Last edited:
I started noodling around with a program to help quantify the W and E hold offs.

This obviously does not compensate to the minute for weather but wind holds should transfer nicely as well as the elevation factor for wind speed changes.

The values can be populated according to expected local weather parameters, to make it more accurate.

My vision is that a zoomed in version can be printed for each stage and the target drawn in to scale using the current wind call.

More of a visual aid than anything.

View attachment 7746716
1 mil of spin drift at 1200 yards?

1/2 mil of Aerodynamic jump with 40 MPH wind?

What program produced those predictions?

Thank you for the insight, that is all helpful. Question, when you shoot the big sweeping stages with switchy wind can you walk me through your process of how you quickly decide and calculate what your correction is going to be, especially when you can't easily jump from one bracket to the next and need to factor in corrected wind speed for angle.
Depending on wind velocity (sub 10-11 mph), mirage can be your best friend for determining if you're dealing with a velocity or angle change.

I started noodling around writing a program to help visualize the W and E hold offs for pretty much any distance.

This obviously does not compensate to the minute for weather but wind holds should transfer nicely as well as the elevation offset for wind speed changes.

A zoomed in version can be printed for each stage and the targets drawn in to scale using the current wind call.

View attachment 7746716

Does this program run on an iPhone by any chance?

Does this program run on an iPhone by any chance?
No, not yet anyway. Again, still flushing out an early design at this point.
I'm really just working on it for myself and a few friends.
I don't plan to sell it commercially unless I find there's a significant demand for it.

You could use some sort of graphing software to replicate the functionality, maybe like this https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Last edited:
I shot this stage too. It went something like the scenario below. I don't remember the yardages and target angle but this is close. I may have even written out more wind speeds than in this example below. The miss on shot 6 would simulate a changing wind. I wrote this our on paper so you could see my math process.

Around the world.jpg

Around the world rose.jpg

I shot this stage too. It went something like the scenario below. I don't remember the yardages and target angle but this is close. I may have even written out more wind speeds than in this example below. The miss on shot 6 would simulate a changing wind. I wrote this our on paper so you could see my math process.

View attachment 7762504

View attachment 7762507
Thank you for the information. That was very helpful. One question, can you explain the “back calculate 2.0 = 20 mph x 10% = 22 mph wind” note? Thanks

Thank you for the information. That was very helpful. One question, can you explain the “back calculate 2.0 = 20 mph x 10% = 22 mph wind” note? Thanks
Sure. (with delight because I love math)

Note - When shooting this stage I would probably not actually do this step because I have enough data written out on the dope card to skip it. If I had only one wind speed written, then I would need this step to transition to the next target.

We have 2 winds we can talk about. Actual wind speed and Cross wind speed. The actual wind speed is the the speed your wind meter gives you. The cross wind speed is the corrected speed from the wind rose due to the angle you're shooting in the actual wind. This "back calculate" is finding the actual wind speed for this stage. If I were shooting a troop line in a straight line I would not bother with doing this, but because this stage has very different angles to the wind finding the actual wind speed can help when transitioning to other target directions.

I use the gun MPH system to do this. At 600yds (or 640 in this stage) my hold is 0.6 for each 6mph of CROSS wind. Once i shoot the first shot I can figure out what the cross wind is but I want the actual wind speed for this stage too.
Hold - Speed (at 640 yards)
0.6 - 6mph
1.2 - 12mph
1.8 - 18mph
2.4 - 24mph
(Because this is a 6mph gun, at 600yds the holds and mph happen to match up (0.1=1mph))

Cross wind = hold / 0.6 x gun mph = 2.0 / 0.6 x 6mph = 20mph

Actual wind speed = Cross wind speed / angular correction from the wind rose = 20/90% or 20/0.9 (I rounded 86% to 90% for easy math on the stage) To make this easier I work this math the other way. Rather than trying to divide by 90% (0.9) I add the remaining % to the cross wind, in this case its 10%. 100%-90% = 10%. This is where I get the 10% from.
so
Actual wind speed = 20/.9=(calculator) 22.2mph
or
Actual wind speed = Crosswind speed + (Crosswind speed * remaining %) = 20mph + 20 * 10% = 20 + 2 = 22MPH (actual wind speed)

For this stage, in my brain, rather than do the "back calculate" I would figure a % between 20 and 26mph holds. 2.0m at 640yds is half way between 1.7 (20mph) and 2.3 (26mph). On the next target I would hold halfway from 2.8 to 3.7 (1 mil so half = 0.5) = 2.8+0.5=3.2

If this didn't explain it you'll have to ask a very specific questions about this process so I can pin point a response.

1639756783986.png

1639757201317.png

Sure. (with delight because I love math)

Note - When shooting this stage I would probably not actually do this step because I have enough data written out on the dope card to skip it. If I had only one wind speed written, then I would need this step to transition to the next target.

We have 2 winds we can talk about. Actual wind speed and Cross wind speed. The actual wind speed is the the speed your wind meter gives you. The cross wind speed is the corrected speed from the wind rose due to the angle you're shooting in the actual wind. This "back calculate" is finding the actual wind speed for this stage. If I were shooting a troop line in a straight line I would not bother with doing this, but because this stage has very different angles to the wind finding the actual wind speed can help when transitioning to other target directions.

I use the gun MPH system to do this. At 600yds (or 640 in this stage) my hold is 0.6 for each 6mph of CROSS wind. Once i shoot the first shot I can figure out what the cross wind is but I want the actual wind speed for this stage too.
Hold - Speed (at 640 yards)
0.6 - 6mph
1.2 - 12mph
1.8 - 18mph
2.4 - 24mph
(Because this is a 6mph gun, at 600yds the holds and mph happen to match up (0.1=1mph))

Cross wind = hold / 0.6 x gun mph = 2.0 / 0.6 x 6mph = 20mph

Actual wind speed = Cross wind speed / angular correction from the wind rose = 20/90% or 20/0.9 (I rounded 86% to 90% for easy math on the stage) To make this easier I work this math the other way. Rather than trying to divide by 90% (0.9) I add the remaining % to the cross wind, in this case its 10%. 100%-90% = 10%. This is where I get the 10% from.
so
Actual wind speed = 20/.9=(calculator) 22.2mph
or
Actual wind speed = Crosswind speed + (Crosswind speed * remaining %) = 20mph + 20 * 10% = 20 + 2 = 22MPH (actual wind speed)

For this stage, in my brain, rather than do the "back calculate" I would figure a % between 20 and 26mph holds. 2.0m at 640yds is half way between 1.7 (20mph) and 2.3 (26mph). On the next target I would hold halfway from 2.8 to 3.7 (1 mil so half = 0.5) = 2.8+0.5=3.2

If this didn't explain it you'll have to ask a very specific questions about this process so I can pin point a response.

View attachment 7763102

View attachment 7763108
Thanks again for the detailed explanation. I'll be working on implementing this overall process when practicing stages this winter.

Hey Jack, could you attach the original files for better quality/printing for the MPH Gun Wind Bracket Rose (blank) and the 4-5-6-7 MPH Gun Wind Bracket Rose (completed). Thanks for your support!

Attachments

• 4-5-6-7 MPH Gun Wind Bracket.pdf
    638.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Wind Rose Blank Bracket rose (1).pdf
    210.4 KB · Views: 130