• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustment instructions for Timney 2 stage on Rem 700 needed.

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this question but a search has turned up nothing and I'm running out of places to look. ( Mods, please remove/move if you feel the need) Basically, I have come into a pair of Timney triggers for a Remington 700. Both are 2 stage. One is the Blue "standard" two stage with straight blade and the other is a Calvin Elite with curved shoe. I'm pretty familiar with how to adjust Timney single stage triggers but cannot for the life of me find any instructions on how to adjust their two stage models (with the extra screw on the rear.) Can anyone point me towards instructions/trigger diagram so that I can fine tune these to my liking?

Instructions are under the "Tech Tips" tab on the product page. Copied and pasted below.

1669160110528.png

1. Sear Engagement
Cock rifle.
Engage safety.
Turn screw clockwise until it stops (hits the safety)
Back off screw until safety plunger moves freely.
Test the safety to make sure it moves back and forth smoothly.
Re-engage the safety and make sure the trigger doesn't have excessive movement with the safety in the safe position.

2. Overtravel After you adjust your sear engagement dry fire the rifle. Without cocking tighten the over travel screw in until it hits the trigger and then back it out about 1/6 of a turn or one flat of the hex wrench. It should move freely and fire easily but you shouldn't have to �chase� the trigger more than about .015

3. Pull weight It's important that you NOT take the pull weight too low; it must maintain spring pressure or will Bump / slam fire. When you pull the trigger, with the bolt open, the trigger's spring should return it to the neutral position; if it doesn't you don't have enough spring pressure. To adjust spring pressure turn the screw in (Clockwise) until you can feel the pressure of the spring on the actual trigger lever. Close the bolt and dry fire the rifle. We recommend using a trigger pull gauge in the center of the trigger to measure the pull weight. If you don't have one you need to get one, they aren't very expensive, we sell them for around $35.00 It must be between 1.5 and 4lbs to function correctly. From there you take the screw in or out to measure the feel (weight) of the trigger.

Testing

Once you have it set where you like it rapid dry fire to ensure it functions perfectly. Test for slam fires by closing the bolt harder, don't get insane but do shut it hard and with more force than normal. You are testing for accidental or unintentional discharge, if you were hunting and had to rapidly reload and do a second shot it shouldn't discharge unintentionally.

When you reassemble, be sure to use a flashlight to look into the trigger well, the trigger should not rub or make contact with the trigger well or the trigger guard. It should, in theory, float through without contact, close is good, however rubbing is bad. With the rifle in the cocked position and the safety engaged drop the rifle 12 inches, but first, onto a padded floor to test for drop fire. It should not fire with the safety on and shouldn't dent a primer either.

Wow, exactly what I was hoping for (and in line with what I thought but.........). I must have looked everywhere but there. ( I thought it would be with their install instructions ) Doh! Thanks MUCH!