• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Timney HIT issues

sneakypayload

Shoot at things semi far away
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2021
MO USA
This is primarily some observations about the Timney HIT triggers for the remington 700 series of actions and/or clones.

I normally run Bix N Andy Tacsport pros, but outfitting every single rifle with those and backups can get pretty pricey pretty fast. I happened to see EU had them for an INSANELY low price last year, so I picked up 3 of them.

Rifle setup is as follows:

Left Hand impact 737 action in 308
Timney HIT 8 oz trigger
various chassis to include: Vision Pro, Manners MCS-PRS-TCS, ACC Chassis
308 ammo specs: Peterson Brass, Varget, Sierra 177 SMK-CN at 2600 FPS

I received the Timney HIT triggers from EU, and installed one in my tac class rig. Trigger felt exceptionally good on dryfire, and I hit the buttstock on the ground to make sure it was drop safe.

After installation, I put approximately 200 rounds down the gun, no issues. After this practice session I threw the rifle back into the safe. Few weeks later, took it out to make sure everything was good, went to the range, and first 10-15 rounds were fine. After that, I ran the bolt, and nothing. Trigger was completely dead. I went to lift the bolt and the gun went off. Somehow the sear engagement was messed up. ended the range session, went home, and disassembled the gun. The trigger's pins that were holding the internals together had completely egged out, or I didn't notice they were out of spec on installation. The trigger basically fell apart.

I contacted Timney support and they were helpful, although with an air of not believing me. I had a new trigger and RMA from them in about 24 hours, delivered 2 days later which was cool. Installed the new trigger, everything seemed fine and to spec.

Ran a 1 day match with it, no issues, threw it in the safe after cleaning the rifle (I didn't clean the trigger here).

two weeks before the box canyon suppressor match, pull the rifle out, put about 100 rounds down it. I'm sitting at ow about 300 rounds on the new trigger sent to me. I get to box canyon, sight in, and run the gun. Day 2 on the last stage, trigger completely dies again. Dead, cant manipulate it, doesn't hold the firing pin cocked, nada. I look up cleaning instructions and do what Timney recommends. It brings it back to life.

After this, I put another 200-300 rounds on the gun, everything seems fine. PRS skills stage at the most recent match, it completely dies on me when I close the bolt. Nothing. Nada. I knew this was a dangerous situation so I make sure I have a good berm behind my target, and lift the bolt. Firing pin goes forward and that's it. I get a stage DQ (rightfully so) for an equipment malfunction. Take the trigger out, throw a new timney HIT in I had as a spare, and finish out the day.

What I want to know is this:

Has anyone else had these issues with Timney HITS in impacts or other guns with trigger hangers? Both my smith and a buddy who I shoot PRS with run Timney hits, in impacts, and never have seen this. I've basically now gone through 3 triggers and had serious malfunctions. I got these triggers from Eurooptic had a crazy good sale on them but i'm tempted to ditch them and sell them cheap to avoid any of this nonsense anymore.

I would give Impact a call and ask to speak with Tate. If I had to guess I would say there is a timing issue with the action, either the trigger hanger or the bolt. But before I sent it to them, I would throw in a TT or Bix and see if you have any issues with those. If not, then problem solved.. if so, then I would absolutely send the action in.

Reactions: BillyGoatMachine