• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ADT securties sux

tansinator

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2007
Signal Mountain, TN
I have been with them for 7 years. I called them today to see why my system was beeping and they said lets run a test. Response was, "We are not getting a signal from your house and looking at your account the last signal we received was in Dec 08." I asked the customer service rep why they didn't notify me of this. "Sir, we cannot notify all of our customers, we have over 6 million." So I have been paying $35.99 a month for the last 17 months for nothing. "Sir it is in your contract that you should check your system once a month." Holy shit who has time to run a test on their security system once a month and who in the hell reads the fine print on everything they sign up for.

If you use ADT, call them and have them run a test to make sure you have a signal to them. As for me, I canceled my service and will be looking for a new company tomorrow.

Rant over
I hope this helps someone else from getting screwed.

Eddie

Re: ADT securties sux

Almost identical thing happened with me.... just wait for a call that you will get in a couple of weeks asking you what they can do to keep your business.

Without that alarm going off and the reassuring phone call that comes the instant the ubiquitous caucasian guy breaks in your door, what will you do to prevent crime without ADT (now broadview) security?

I don't advocate the suing of companies, but that is theft. Wether under contract or not, taking money for a service that is not being rendered is BS and needs to be exposed and stamped out. It sounds like a class action suit waiting to happen.

Just a couple more steps beyond the fraud conveyed by their TV ads where the thug always runs away while the scared female runs to the instantaneously ringing phone. Naturally, Sluggo always runs off when he hears the alarm.

Wow, I have ADT. my alarm goes off it's less than a minute before the phone is ringing, also if my phone line goes down the alarm goes off. But, here's the kicker guys. I use to work nights a lot so my wife keeps a loaded .45 where she can get to it quickly. Let's say something happens. Alarm goes off (20 sec.) , they call , no answer (20 sec), the call the cops (10 sec), Cops respond ( 90 sec ) GREAT response time would you not agree?( 2 mins 20 secs ) That 2+ mins IS ON YOU! Live or die is up to you.
More realistically you looking at 5 minutes. Why do I carry a gun? Cause a COP weighs to dang much.

I've worked with all of the major security companies and guess what? They all suck.

At least most of the smaller companies will pee on you if you catch fire. The larger the company the less they care about their level of service etc.

do you have a cellular uplink? That is what we had and there issue with the boxes that they were aware of and installed anyway. We raised hell with them and they gave us a year free in exchange. I regularly test the system now.

I have always had the idea that security systems are for when you are either not home or to give you an extra warning time. If you rely purely on other people to protect you then you won’t survive if the time comes when you have to make the decision. Cops do what they can but most of the time they can’t get to you in time during a break in. My brother in laws grandparents lived off the road and some guy shut the power off, cut the phone lines and made his way into the home where he shot them both and left them for dead. They were against guns and only had a fake one they thought would scare the guy away. They both survived miraculously but with deep scars that could have been avoided if they would have had a gun and the will and guts to use it. The guy was a hired hand on some construction work they had done to their house. Security systems are ok but regardless of whether or not they call you I don’t see it saving your life, IMHO

I think the issue is he paid for services he did not receive.

I don't think anyone here believes the PD can make it to your bedroom door before a perp can.

You are correct CKA. I hate to get burned by the big companies. They could have at least offered to make it right. And yes, we are prepared for unwanted guests.

Eddie

I keep a Bo Staff next to the bed.

tansinator;

I think you will find that ADT will continue billing you.
You need to read your contract.
The ADT contracts I have seen, and the one they "used" to have for monitoring my office, can be tricky to break.

Unless your state has different reg's on the contract....I think you will find that the only way to cancel that contract is to notify them at least 30 days prior to the anniversary date on your contract. These contract automatically renew unless you cancel them as described in the contract. The automatic renewal date may not even match the date on your contract......it may have been altered and may appear on a recent bill. They renew for a full year unless you cancel them according to the contract.

These contracts "can" be very tricky to get out of.
I am willing to bet that you receive a collection call within 3 months of cancellation of service........whether it has truly been cancelled or not.

We cancelled ours a few months ago after about 10 years with them. We are just starting to get collection calls.....even though we followed the contracts cancellation procedure and received confirmation of cancelation.

We will not be paying them another cent. It has become THAT personal.

Also, Broadview is the new name for Brinks. As I understand it, ADT purchased Brinks customer base(contracts) and was required by Brinks to change the name. ADT chose Broadview as the new name.

I would guess that there are enough people who are unhappy with the ADT name that they elected not to give it the ADT name.
This is common with large companies.

BTW.....

It costs ADT less than $5.00 a month for that monitoring.
It is likely alot less than that. More like $2.50 if I had to guess.

We recently became a licensed alarm installation company and we purchase our monitoring from a local central-station for VERY little each month. We only require a 6 month contract......and month to month after that. The 6 months is only because the monitoring company we use has a 6-month term. The most anyone will ever have to pay us is the initial 6-month term. Of course...we make them buy the system at the time of installation....but they really don't cost that much.

We do mark up the cost of the service. This is partly because our central station expects us to log-in and check all of our customers accounts on a regular basis. This is to ensure that we note any problems and contact the customer if it is something they need to know.......like the fact that the system has not made a report for some time.
laugh.gif

Does it even "pay" to have the service monitored? Here in ABQ almost every cop will tell you their response time widely varied, but 30 minutes seem to be a good guess. Other cops too will tell you that home alarms are on the least priority list. We have an alarm system, monitored by a local company, but I have no faith in the cops to show up on time - their just too busy dealing with other things. I have been thinking of going to this company ABQ Armed Response Team basically a company ran by former and current LEOs which monitor your system and respond within 15 minutes or less. Even at an added cost I think it would be well worth it knowing that response time will be quick.

I have certainly suggested that some people self-monitor. One was a State Trooper who only wanted his workshop covered. His response time is much shorter than what the rest of us have to live with.
laugh.gif

Many of the homeowner systems can call a cell phone or send an e-mail in an alarm condition.

It's up to the individual.
I never sell the customer more than they want.
I only make suggestions.

well, again, what is 15 min? I have it for when I'm not home. It is battery backed up and cell linked with glass brakes, motion detectors, cameras and all that crap. Not to mention, my Bo Staff.

all of them that bundle hardware and monitoring SUCK. They put in the minimum system then charge you out the ass for shit.

You can buy the components yourself and put them in or contract on a T&M basis to have someone do it. Once you have your own system you can go month-to-month with a local monitoring company for like $13/mo.

I would suggest a dog. Best alarm service ever. The reaction time for trusted defense is 0 seconds.

I have it set up on a Credit Card. I will just dispute the charges. If the continue to try to charge me, so be it. I will not pay, do you think they will try to take me to court over a couple of months, doubt it.

How much is the reduction in home owners insurance for having an alarm system on average?

Always figured it was a phony hook to help make the sale.

Sorry to hear that they charged you for over a year of service while providing nothing. But hey, are any of us naive enough to believe that ADT is going to put protecting you before protecting its profits? Long live the almighty dollar! Good luck, man. Buy a German shepherd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Buy a German shepherd. </div></div>

And a Doberman!
Elke02-13-09-1.jpg

Maxi3-281.jpg

I get a kick out of timing the alarm companies. It is not uncommon for one of our officers to trip one on a unsecured door and the time it takes the alarm company to call and notify me of the alarm varies greatly.

The best system to have is an audible alarm that wakes every one up the area and calls you and the police with your prerecorded message. No company middle man to slow things down.

it is actually a type of infection I gave your mother

So thats what killed her and all of this time I thought it was the sudden stop when the car hit the tree. I guess you better leave the "Bostaff" next to the bed if it is that deadly.

Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krecon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it even "pay" to have the service monitored? Here in ABQ almost every cop will tell you their response time widely varied, but 30 minutes seem to be a good guess. </div></div>

I grew up (20 yrs) in the Duke City (Albuquerque) and you don't need alarms, you need land mines and machine gun nests. I was robbed 7 times and finally moved the fuck away from that shit hole.

Might want to read the fine print on that contract. Some of the newer ads from Broadview also state that you pay a monthly fee for your system and monitoring, but the equipment is the property of Broadview. Basically, you rent it. That's why the install is only $99. The horn will do more good than the monitoring when a break in occurs. When that siren goes off in a neighborhood, everyone looks up. 5-10 minutes after a quiet phone call, the cops siren goes off and the perps are done and gone. Dogs are best bet if you can care for them. Not all people are dog people though.

Yup!
Also....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have it set up on a Credit Card. I will just dispute the charges. If the continue to try to charge me, so be it. I will not pay, do you think they will try to take me to court over a couple of months, doubt it. </div></div>

You signed a contract. The CC company will only allow the dispute up to the point where they find out you signed a contract that agrees to these charges.
Once they find out you agreed to these charges they may allow the charge.

ADT may or may not seek payment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Buy a German shepherd. </div></div>

And a Doberman!
Elke02-13-09-1.jpg

Maxi3-281.jpg
</div></div>
Love the pic of your dobe. My new puppy has been trying to carry sticks into the house that look bigger than he is. Nothing better than "DOG" security.

My Mom and oldest daughter have ADT. TO MY KNOWLEDGE they have never had a problem. When we got our system it was with another company. Our oldest grandson laughs every time I try to cook breakfast. The smoke alarms all go off. But I have never waited a full minute before the alarm company calls.

Try Central Security Group 1-888-642-4567

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Buy a German shepherd. </div></div>

And a Doberman!
Elke02-13-09-1.jpg

Maxi3-281.jpg
</div></div>
Love the pic of your dobe. My new puppy has been trying to carry sticks into the house that look bigger than he is. Nothing better than "DOG" security. </div></div>

My thinking exactly. Maxi just fell into our laps! We almost adopted a stray Pit bull pup a few months ago! He lived with us a week until I found his home though and returned him. If we hadn't adopted Maxi, we'd have likely looked for another Shepherd as I am very partial to the breed. Elke (above) has become an excellent mature shepherd and a patient mentor!

For anyone trying to avoid monitoring fees, I'd suggest re-routing the siren/horn to the attic or crawlspace, and installing a ridiculously loud noisemaker. This would be powered from the battery in your panel (which is hopefully locked and hidden), so it would function for some time if the power is cut. Installing the siren outside of an insulated structure will alert the neighbors much faster.

From an existing system, all that's required is re-routing one wire, and upgrading the siren and battery.