• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

?Advanced Armament Co (AAC) Barrel Remington 700 Medium Contour 260 Remington 24" 1 in 8

Rusty Bluck

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2013
Advanced Armament Co (AAC) Barrel Remington 700 Medium Contour 260 Remington 24" 1 in 8

Can anyone tell me about this barrel? I have a 700 I'm wanting to build into a custom rifle. I'm shooting a remington 700 sps 308 now with a 20 in barrel. I shoot the sniper tactial matches at thunder valley. I'm always on a budget..and I saw midway has this one on sale for 179$ and its already for a brake... Let me know? also I have access to a gun smith but how much can I do my self? I want it as perfect as I can get it..

Can anyone tell me about a Advanced Armament Co (AAC) Barrel Remington 700 Medium Contour 260 Remington 24" 1 in 8" Twist 5/8"-24 Threaded Muzzle Matte Barrel? Product Information
Shop more AAC products The Advanced Armament Co (AAC) Barrel is a replacement barrel for the Remington 700 or Model-7. Chambered for 260 Remington and it comes with a black nitride finish (including bore and chamber). All barrels feature a 1 in 8" twist which is perfect for stabilizing heavy match bullets. The Advanced Armament Co Remington 700 Barrels are ready for silencer use and are threaded 5/8"-24 and include thread protector. Gunsmith installation required.

Technical Information:

Chamber: 260 Remington
Barrel Length : 24"
Material: Chrome Moly Steel
Contour: Medium
Muzzle Thread Pattern: 5/8"-24
Finish: Black Nitride

Good barrels for the money, but they're no Bartlein. I've got one that I had cut to 20" and put on a donor action earlier this year and finally got around to shooting it regularly a couple of months ago. On an untrued action, running 123gr Amax's over H4350, it'll shoot .6MOA or better regularly. For some reason though, it's nowhere near as consistent with any bullet I've tried in the 140gr-142gr range. Nosler Custom Comp 140's had me scratching my head the most, .5MOA one day and 2+ the next with everything being the same. Stacked 10 123's into a .75" hole 10 minutes after the 2" group @ 100 yards.

What I really like is that the chamber doesn't have a huge freebore. I run the 123gr Amax's @ 2.845" and am only .015" from the lands. I could jam them if I wanted and still feed them from my AICS mags.

I have one I am working on as well as the 18" 308. 123 smks have shot great and I am still working on a 140 amax load, my better groups have been running right around 3/4 moa and the worst have been around 1.5... My chamber works well with AICS mags and BTHP's but VLD's are around 2.925 OAL.

I be posting a DIY thread once I have everything figured out.

I don't get why there isn't an option with these barrels from the factory.

Remington corporate response:

"Because F you, thats why."

Its really too bad, because a 700 factory rifle with this AAC 260 barrel, priced about the same as the AAC-SD, would be a pretty good seller (even if only as a special distributor run).

Built one a few months back on a sps la. Shoots great with 123 nos cc haven't tried any heavier bullets in it. With a mild load it will stack the 123's up all day like the person above said. I cut mine to 20 in to make handling easier in a truck. I have been very well satisfied with my gun. I wanted to build a tactical gun on a budget and this is by far in my opinion the best way to go. I dropped mine in a b&c m40 stock.

I got my barrel..and all I have to say is WOW. Im super happy with it..Instaled with factory lug and headspacing was perfect. I loaded 50 rounds using lapua brass , 42 gn of h4350 and berger 140 vdl s. Took it out and Zeroed it,. It took three shots.. right and left was perfect it was two MOA low adjusted and hit dead center. Shot two more times to confirm zero. Used the numbers I had and put them in my driod app. shot at the 600 yard target..It was 2 moa low.. added two and hit dead center next shot.. I had 14.5 moa of elevation. 1 moa for wind. adjusted my numbers in my ballistic calculator/ driod app and dialed in 1000 yard dope.. added a moa of wind. put in 33.5 moa and shot at the 1000 yard target.. It hit two moa low..and wind was a little off. made one adjustment..and went off the right edge of the target.but elevation was perfect. Adjusted for wind and hit dead center..and the targets are 10x12 in.. went back to 600 and hit..back to 1000 and hit..It was my best day of shooting..and only shot a few rounds.. I was trying to save em. The only thing was..I wanted it to shoot a little flatter/faster.. The dope would put my velocity at 2725 with a high bc.. Not 618 bc like the box says.. I think I ened up getting everything to align using .575 BC. I was super pleased with the barrel for 170$ Big thanks to Tom Sarver at TVP for teaching me how to figure this stuff out. The guy is an amazing teacher. His training sessions are amazing! I'm finally starting to understand this ..Lots more to learn.

I wanted it to shoot a little flatter/faster..

43.2 grain H4350 behind 140 Berger Hunting VLD's in necked down 7mm-08 Remington brass (all I can find at the moment) is putting me at 2840ish per my magnetospeed. My barrel is attached to a Stiller TAC 30- A/W so I am running the bullets about -.012 off the lands and feeding from AW mags. I just have not been to the range to go long distance yet, but its shot well at 100 building that load.

FWIW, I started to see pressure signs above 43.8, just faint ejector prints and stopped there. If the bullet was jammed into the lands, 43.6 started the slight prints on the head stamp.

Last edited:
The only thing was..I wanted it to shoot a little flatter/faster...

update #2,

I made it out to my 1000y range today. Dialed 1 mil for 300y and fired groups of 5 on two loads 43 & 43.2 H4350 and both were on for elevation with the 43g charge hitting the bottom half of my 2" stick on dot and 43.2g hitting spot on. Dialed 3.3 mils for 600y and first shot hit dead center in the steel plate and the next 2 followed the first making a centered circle, it was 10am and the wind had not yet started to blow. Dialed 5.3 mils for 800y and these hit about a tenth high so 5.2 was where I ended up. Dialed 7.5 mils for 1000y and hit about .1-.15 mils high for 7.4 mils needed. My environmental data was 29.13, 88 degrees and 62% humidity. Once I got home I back checked the data on JBM and that puts me at 2885fps. The load used was CCI primers, unfired R-P 7mm-08 brass necked down and running about .003" neck tension with 43.2 H4350 and Berger 140 Hunting VLD's seated -.014 from the lands. That may be to long for a non AW mag but I thought you might be interested to know. In my experience with jumping bullets, the longer the jump the lower the velocity but I'd bet you would still be around 2840-2850ish feeding from AICS mags.

When I said 2840 above I must have been thinking of my other 260. I checked my velocity notes and I clocked 3 shots averaging 2863 on new brass and 2872 for 3 on once fired brass. IIRC that day was a good 25-30 degrees cooler too... and again only 3 shots for each.

AAC2012.jpg

Last edited:
Niles so your shooting a 260 aac 24 in barrel? Thanks for you info! good stuff. So you think I would pick of velocity if I bumped up to 43? I have all my dope dialed in for 42 gn s of h4350 but I'm only getting 2700 fps .. Thats based off my data. I hit all the targets dead center out to 1000 with very few missed shots mostly for wind. I shot the headhunter match today at TVP and wow... I made bad wind calls.. Its a 6x9 in target out to 600 yards various distances.. Elevation was pretty dead on... After about 75 shots I did pick up some velocity based on data maybe 50-75 fps might have been cause it heated up a little out or barrel warmed up..but when I went back to the benches after the match I was a whole moa higher at 1000 yards and 700...could have been lots of reasons tho

Do you ever have any trouble with the barrel heating up? a few guys thought in might with the odd contour? but I didnt think it would.. what your thoughts?

Niles so your shooting a 260 aac 24 in barrel? Thanks for you info! good stuff. So you think I would pick of velocity if I bumped up to 43? I have all my dope dialed in for 42 gn s of h4350 but I'm only getting 2700 fps .. Thats based off my data. I hit all the targets dead center out to 1000 with very few missed shots mostly for wind. I shot the headhunter match today at TVP and wow... I made bad wind calls.. Its a 6x9 in target out to 600 yards various distances.. Elevation was pretty dead on... After about 75 shots I did pick up some velocity based on data maybe 50-75 fps might have been cause it heated up a little out or barrel warmed up..but when I went back to the benches after the match I was a whole moa higher at 1000 yards and 700...could have been lots of reasons tho

It's the same 24" AAC barrel, yes.

If your not happy with the velocity you are getting at 42 grains just work it up to the next node. With my barrel, brass and primer combination that is 43.2 H4350 but it may be slightly different with other components and a longer jump will affect it also but like I said above I am in the upper 2800's with this load and didn't see pressure until loads were above 43.6 jammed and 43.8 jumping and if IIRC when I was down around 42.0 grains I too was in the lower 2700's. I have it written down somewhere I will see if I can locate it for you.

One of these days I will get over there to shoot at TVP...

I have not seen any change in POI as the barrel heats and I have gotten it hotter than I care too. I have noticed with this contour if you touch the chamber area it will be quite warm after a long string of shots but where it tapers to .75" its hand burning hot. When I got back from the range and back traced my data 2885 was where I was at and that put me on target with all my impacts for the day from 1st through the 47th shot.

I picked up a 18" 308 1:8 twist AAC barrel as well that was on sale and have that mounted on a untrued R700 at the moment. Its getting some amazing velocity for being a 18" barrel. It is on par with my R700 20" tactical and may be just a little faster shooting 175 smk's. I had that so hot it brought tears to my eyes last week when I touch it... its a little lighter contour than the 260. No change in impact as it heated.

I have this barrel in a R700 and I've been shooting 42.5 H4350 out of mine with lapua brass and 210M primers. 43.0 did show some promise with velocities around 2850 and a single digit SD for 5 shots. I think I'll re-try 43.0-43.3 next time out.

Did AAC discontinue these bbls? Got a shooter who is on a tight budget and one of these would fit the bill nicely.

Thanks.. 43.2! ill load em!

After reviewing my targets from the past I didn't go as low as I thought. Went out Tuesday and tried 42.0, 42.2 and 42.4 with a-max .020 off the lands and 42.2 .010 off with the VLD. FWIW I was at 2807 with 42.2 on the a-max and 42.2 with the 140 Berger VLD put me at 2841 on my magnetospeed chrono. How far are you jumping your VLD's?

Niles Coyote said:
FWIW I was at 2807 with 42.2 on the a-max and 42.2 with the 140 Berger VLD put me at 2841 on my magnetospeed chrono.

That seems like unbelievable velocity for a 24" barrel at those charge weights but the Magnetospeed tells no lies...there must be something to that nitride...

That seems like unbelievable velocity for a 24" barrel at those charge weights but the Magnetospeed tells no lies...there must be something to that nitride...

This AAC barrel is quite a bit faster than my 24" non treated obermeyer 260... If I run its loads through this chamber I have pressure signs. But it's interesting that Rusty is getting such low velocity compared to mine. I know jumping a bullet can bleed off some velocity but 100 +fps seems a bit much. Maybe I got a special-er barrel or energetic powder on a protein diet...

Last edited:
I have this barrel in a R700 and I've been shooting 42.5 H4350 out of mine with lapua brass and 210M primers. 43.0 did show some promise with velocities around 2850 and a single digit SD for 5 shots. I think I'll re-try 43.0-43.3 next time out.

What bullet are you using?