• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Advantage/Disadvantage

Re: Advantage/Disadvantage

If you have the throat cut for it, you can load the bullet long so you can use the full case capacity. But then factory spec ammo is going to have a long jump to the lands.

so its still a disadvantage because there should be enough space to do that in a short action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Gunsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so its still a disadvantage because there should be enough space to do that in a short action
</div></div>

should be or is???? You don't seem so sure, when you are trying to "convince" everyone that a 243 in a LA is dumb, like you said in the shoutbox.

I see it as a huge advantage. As already stated you can truly customize your loads. Furthermore, just take a second to look at the various part houses for items in stock and ready to ship for LA rifles. SA rifle parts sell out much faster. The biggest advantage is when you chose to rebarrel say a .243 to 25/06 or 30/06 you already have the action length bolt face etc...

I have a friend that used to shoot .243 in across the course matches with a long action and was absolutely phenominal.

He is a large gent that has big hands and he said that it just worked more smoothely for him than a short action.

Other than that, you can set your bullets way out there if you so choose and will not have to worry about them not seating in the magwell.

Brian

I think that the inherent disadvantages of the long action outweigh the small advantage of increased overall cartridge length in the case of a 243.
Long actions force many people to have to lift their head off the stock between shots so the bolt does not tap your face.
That breaks up your position, making it more difficult to be as consistent from shot-to-shot.

If you are gonna build in a long action, might as well make it a 6mm remington ackley improved or something else in the mid-size area to better fill the long action cartridge length.
THAT will take better advantage of the longer OAL and will give you more case capacity as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that the inherent disadvantages of the long action outweigh the small advantage of increased overall cartridge length in the case of a 243.
Long actions force many people to have to lift their head off the stock between shots so the bolt does not tap your face.
That breaks up your position, making it more difficult to be as consistent from shot-to-shot.

If you are gonna build in a long action, might as well make it a 6mm remington ackley improved or something else in the mid-size area to better fill the long action cartridge length.
THAT will take better advantage of the longer OAL and will give you more case capacity as well. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">6mm Competition Match For the Win!!! </span></span>

bowdown.gif

Hey All,
besides deadly being a cock sucker, as usual when he has no idea what he is slapping his lips together about, this was a question of opinion and debate, and all of you gave good answer better then mine would of been. my opinion unless it is under special circumstances, its better to have a short action unless your intent is trying different calibers ( as explained by insight so well ) on the same action. this is not a discussion of opinion and debate, but preference and a good way of getting my 100 post. Because as any gunsmith worth a shit knows your opinion doesnt matter,unless it is caused for a liability issue, that it is what a customer wants.

mighty big words for someone who doesn't know dick about me.

Did I say anything that wasn't true in my post? When you said it should be, you were mighty sure of yourself in the shoutbox, but then can't give a definitive answer?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Gunsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the advantages or disadvantage of a .243 in a long action??
</div></div>

There is none

I looked at this same thing but you need to have an internal mag feeding for it to work. This came from the guys at stillen, gap, and surgeon. I'm going with a Templar and alpha type 2.