• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Advantage of Blaser Action???

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    Friend of mine cleans guns for rich people too lazy to clean their own..his side business, and from which he does OK...
    Yesterday he showed me a Blaser 93. I noted its two phase bolt: pull -push..
    as compared to the conventional bolt: pull rotate, rotate, push..

Is there any specific design of this bolt that is supposed to be superior? If so why has nobody else created a similar bolt?
    What is the history behind that design..
    thanks

Re: Advantage of Blaser Action???

The straight pull type action is supposed to be faster than a conventional turn bolt action with the one in the Blaser also claiming that it is amongst the strongest of action types as the collet locking system actually holds tighther as the force of the fired gases act upon it (much like the Hoover dam). The bolt handle can be placed on either side allowing the shooter to stay in position easily while cycling the action. In addition, the collet locking is a radial type of lockup meaning that it is as concentric as is possible to achieve. Lastly, the Blaser eliminates a receiver altogether omitting any additional tolerance stack that a conventional action would incur and also allows the platform to be smaller in length and lighter in weight than your typical turn bolt rifle. This is supposed to mean greater accuracy potential, easier portability, and friendlier to carry. There are a few competitors to this action type, though all from Europe like the Heym SR30 and the new Merkel. What this action type does not have is any real extraction cam force and so cases with some taper would be advised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Is there any specific design of this bolt that is supposed to be superior?</div></div> It looks badass.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why has nobody else created a similar bolt?</div></div> It's expensive.

Seriously, Toolmakr made a nice explanation. As to why there's not more, it's between high manufacturing cost and no demand.

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

This is one of my long range rifles. I can shange between mye 6,5x55 and 30-06 barrels in under a minute, and the POI is constant.
    Since the receiver is "integrated" in your barrel, you also save about 10cm or 4iches.
    The repeating is very fast, and you cock it when you want to fire, instead of turning off the safety.

The Blaser is a unique idea, but not really "new" in terms of theory. The Swiis built a version in WWII. The Anschutz Fortner Biathalon also runs with a straight pull.

The primary xtraction feature on the Blaser is in the little piston/plunger thingy on the side of the handle that loads against a stationary piece. There's a fair amount of camming action for stubborn cases.

Cost sux. They spendy. New barrels are pretty much limited to factory replacements due to the induction haredened intergrated lug system.

Hope this helped.

C.

If the factory doesn't offer it, it's going to be a bitch getting a custom barrel put on.

These quick-change rifle systems are popular in Europe and other places where the ownership of rifles is tightly controlled.

Yes the price of blaser r93 sucks,I got one 7 years ago and price as doubled.
    $1500+ and $300 for dedicated mounts.
    Apart from that it's a great rifle,built like a Swiss watch.
    Totally amazed my friends on hunting trips buy stripping it all down to clean it,and if buy magic it all goes back to same
    zero.

A gunsmith friend of had a contact who could make after market barrels for blasers,he didn't adverts this because the design is copyrighted.
    And didn't want blaser suing him in a law court.

Sir, was your bbl threaded from Blaser or did you have it done?

It was done by a smith, but i hade to take abit more metal out to fit a new silencer. When the gunsmith fitted the first silencer, he made sure there was no slack, so when i got another silencer with the same thread but different tolerances i had to put it in the lathe and take some more off. There are no problems threading the barrel, its actutally easier, because you dont have to take off the trigger. The surface treatment on the blaser barrels are really tough, i beleive its plasma nitrided. I let a cut off barrel piece hang in a thread dipping in sea water for a week, no rust at all... Toughest conditions you'll find for corrosion.

Also there is not a very large challenge for a good gunsmith to put in an aftermarket barrel in the blaser system. You only have to have an old worn out barrel, cut off the last 10cm (where it locks into the stock), thread the inside and fit a barrel with standard procedure. Done many times in my local gun shop.

If you go do more research on this action, ignore all of the "THIS GUN EXPLODES!!1!!" crap. They're parroting a myth some idiot came up with when he found pictures of an Italian Police stress test, in which they started removing the "teeth" from the bolt one by one until the rifle failed. iirc it was something like the rifle only having 3 left(out of 12?) when it finally failed, and even then it didn't really explode. It's a great rifle, a friend of mine has one and the concept is awesome, the only problems are those listed above, cost and no custom support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Also there is not a very large challenge for a good gunsmith to put in an aftermarket barrel in the blaser system. You only have to have an old worn out barrel, cut off the last 10cm (where it locks into the stock), thread the inside and fit a barrel with standard procedure. Done many times in my local gun shop. </div></div>

Good info.

God help me....now I think I want one..

Late to the party. I saw this while surfing and not logged in. For one, I am probably the least qualified rifle shooter on the forum. Two, I have owned a Blaser R8 for a few months.Think of the R8 as a R93 Version 2.

1. I agree with most everything stated here about the Blaser.

2. Ignore any arguments about them exploding. It has been my understanding through extensive reading all failures are created in testing by removing "lugs" or some hand load issues. Incidentally I saw a report about testing in Germany (I believe) that showed the R8 as pegging the machines that test for failure. In short, they couldn't get it to fail.

3. At first I didn't buy into the whole it's as or more accurate as a standard action rifle. I'm starting to come around to changing my mind.

4. From a hunting, or working rifle standpoint, I can't overstate how handy these rifles are. Without the "receiver", you are showing at least 3 inches off the length of the package. Take your 24" bolt gun, and chop 3 inches off the overall length WITHOUT loosing your 24" barrel. Damn cool.

5. I run mine as a hunting gun but I intentionally ordered the barrel channel wider for safari or heavier target barrels.

6. The R93 is no-longer made...I think. Could be wrong. But it is my understanding that Blaser will look at the R8 as the future and stop pushing the R93 line.

7. The R93 and R8 barrels and bolts are NOT compatible. The main reasons being the R8 is slightly larger than the R93 in "action" size and the R8 has a few more "lugs" than the R93.

8. Parts like rings and saddle-mounts (their scope base) are interchangeable.

9. Blaser is expensive. Damn so. I suspect their business model and the fact they are on the EURO both play a significant part in this.

10. Their US HQ (Blaser USA) is based in Houston. Again...I think.

11. Here is a link to a youtube channel of a guy in Europe that runs an R93 like a tactical precision rifle. Camo patterned the stock, bipod, tactical optics, etc. http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645/videos

12. Again, I believe that largest retail Blaser dealer in the US is Mad Dog Guns in Arizona. He can be found on Gunbroker.

13. My appeal for the Blaser setup was the Mr. Potato Head philosophy. I'm an aspiring hunter. It bugs me to have gear sitting around for years without it being run. I have a friend who has a 270 Winchester that be hasn't used in over a decade. I find most of my hunting friends are like that. The Blaser system, appeals to me in the since when I'm not using 270 Wetherby Magnum, I can switch it over to 223 for varmints.

14. Does my justification for the Blaser system actually save me money over my hunting buddies multiple rifles built or specific hunts? Not only no. But HELL NO.

15. My Blaser R8 (the R93 doesn't have this problem) sets the record for my most expensive magazine: Somewhere between 500-700 dollars retail.

16. The R93 based Blaser Tactical does absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. Nada. It's big and huge and black and tactical. And all I can think of is "Great, another 14 lb rifle for the Xbox crowd". Read that as people who don't actually carry their rifle.

In closing, I'm really digging the Blaser system. And I think it's a hell of a hunting rifle. So much so, I even have a fantasy of taking it down to the Sniper's Hide Cup and making a run at not coming in dead-last.

Not sure if this helped but there it is. And if you are serious about seeing what a Blaser can do, check out that guy's channel. I'm personally amazed.

Regards,
    Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

This is one of my long range rifles. I can shange between mye 6,5x55 and 30-06 barrels in under a minute, and the POI is constant.
    Since the receiver is "integrated" in your barrel, you also save about 10cm or 4iches.
    The repeating is very fast, and you cock it when you want to fire, instead of turning off the safety. </div></div>

Where did you get that picatinny rail? How much? Does it allow you to set the scope further back? Does it come in QD?

Thanks in advance
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also there is not a very large challenge for a good gunsmith to put in an aftermarket barrel in the blaser system. You only have to have an old worn out barrel, cut off the last 10cm (where it locks into the stock), thread the inside and fit a barrel with standard procedure. Done many times in my local gun shop. </div></div>

Very clever, so it looks like you turn an old barrel into an AR-15 style barrel extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProudKiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where did you get that picatinny rail? How much? Does it allow you to set the scope further back? Does it come in QD?

Thanks in advance
    smile.gif
    </div></div>
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/zruncho/m.html?i...=p2047675.l2562

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Adaptor-f...=item232188b2b1

got it from this guy. Now its a bit more expensive than when i bought it. I have the 20MOA, but back then it cost the same as the non tilt ($240). Also note that this short rail is WEAVER, so picatinny-style rings wont fit. Everybody should send him an email asking for picatinny, so that he learns. The longer rails are picatinny, but who really need the forward extension?

I can set the scope longer back with this setup, but the shells can fall down in the magazine again if you repeat too slow. I can see the brass marks on the claw of the ring.

I use a set of TPS steel rings that im very happy with. (although they had to be lapped)
    IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

I believe you can get them in QD on order. The youtube guy linked to above, sierra645 is active on an norwegian forum, and i believe he ordered one. Not sure how it went. Why need the QD if you can get QD rings? Also the rail gets higher with QD, and many scopes (like my PM2) stops at the bottom of the turret, not the objective, so a low rail is important for me.

I recommend everyone who is interested in shooting to watch his movies on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645/videos
    The best subscription ive got on youtube, thats for sure.

R93goose.jpg

Not a doubt, the R93 is my favorite!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirhitalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also there is not a very large challenge for a good gunsmith to put in an aftermarket barrel in the blaser system. You only have to have an old worn out barrel, cut off the last 10cm (where it locks into the stock), thread the inside and fit a barrel with standard procedure.</div></div>

I call this "stubbing" where you save the original "stub" of the factory barrel and then fit a new barrel into it.
    I have done it on TC contenders, Encores and H&R handi rifles in order to re-use the original locking lug area of the barrel.

yea, in norway we call it something that directly translates into "grafting", like you do with plants.

This thread rocks. There are more Blaser guys in Europe running tactical setups? Nice.

Regards,
    Greyson