• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Advantage to over sized Recoil Lug?

DadEO

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
Conyers Georgia USA
Starting my first build and would like to know if there are any real advantages to an over sized recoil lug vs the factory lug on a Remington 700 LA

Re: Advantage to over sized Recoil Lug?

i always thought.....that when one hangs a big truck axle off the end of a trued action.....the lug along with some bedding helped retain consistency....

Mabey would a bigger lug would ad more stability and the lug would not flex on the lower end, or mabey not as much.

For the $30 that an oversized recoil costs, I use them just in case it can add more stability to my build. Not saying it does or doesn't help, but the price of an oversized recoil lug compared to the the price of a build is next to nothing. Why not do it if it can possibly help.

Where's the beef.....

All you have to do is watch some super high speed footage of a rifle when it fires.

Anyone who thinks there is no flex at all is naive as hell.

Anything that adds beef and reduces flex is benificial.......

Extra thickness in the recoil lug helps the smith by providing more room to release the half nut when manually threading the barrel too. At least I appreciate the extra play room.

So if there is no real advantage or disadvantage. What do you do with the extra space between the side of the lug and the inside of your stock? Leave it or fill it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DadEO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if there is no real advantage or disadvantage. What do you do with the extra space between the side of the lug and the inside of your stock? Leave it or fill it?</div></div>

DadEO,
When prepping to bed your receiver, leave the back of the lug bare and square. Put 2 layers of masking tape on the sides, bottom and front of the lug.
You don't want these areas touching the stock when shooting because they can cause pressure where you don't want any, and contact could cause the barreled action to bounce in the stock. The lug should float on the sides, bottom and front. The back of the lug should have constant and even contact/pressure when firing.
This also helps you to take the barreled action out of the stock after bedding, eliminating mechanical lock.

The advantage is bending stiffness increase in the recoil lug and it helps to decouple the muzzle flip moment resolution from the barrel harmonics.

Yes, a flat ground lug is good, but a flat ground lug that's 2x's as thick is actually 8x's stiffer in that portion.

System harmonics and vibration management are extrememly important things in aircraft, race cars, engines, etc. where things must all work together. A precision weapon system is no different.

Curious.

Anyone ever done a "pepsi challenge" on this.

Be interesting to take a barrel and fit it for a fat lug. Shoot the snot out of it, then put a thin lug on it with a spacer sleeve.

(or just reverse the operations order so that you can ditch the spacer)

I wonder how much difference there'd actually be.

My guess is little stuff (up to say a 308 size cartridge) wouldn't see much change where's the boomers would probably respond a little more.

Single shots vs repeaters would probably have some influence as well.

Not cause the action flexes, but because the stock does a bit.

Be fun to play with.

I was wondering if anybody every used a titanium recoil lug , i know that it woulden't actualy cut that much weight but i figuer the guys building the super light "sheep" rifles would cut every little bit out they could.

Of cource you have the problem with dissimilar metals and expantion rates and all that good stuff

I've shot my Savage .260 with both, and I don't honestly see a compelling need to upgrade the lug unless other serious work, like blueprinting, is being done. The one complements the other, and alone, too much potential is being abandoned.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DadEO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if there is no real advantage or disadvantage. What do you do with the extra space between the side of the lug and the inside of your stock? Leave it or fill it?</div></div>

DadEO,
When prepping to bed your receiver, leave the back of the lug bare and square. Put 2 layers of masking tape on the sides, bottom and front of the lug.
You don't want these areas touching the stock when shooting because they can cause pressure where you don't want any, and contact could cause the barreled action to bounce in the stock. The lug should float on the sides, bottom and front. The back of the lug should have constant and even contact/pressure when firing.
This also helps you to take the barreled action out of the stock after bedding, eliminating mechanical lock. </div></div>

I can contradict every bit of that, except of course the mechanical lock thingy...but a two degree taper fixes that.

Where you need to "float" the lug on the sides, bottom, and front, is to compensate for improperly inducing stress on the action when you bed it...as in crank the stock bolts down on wet bedding compound, too much down pressure with surgical tube, too thick a coat of release agent, unseen large air pockets under the bedding, integrity of the stock is poor, pillars are not mated to the reciever good enough, etc, etc.

The rightous bedding job is done with everything relaxed and stress free as the epoxy cures. If done that way, a tight lug is better, IMHE.

Tripwire,

You've most likely bedded a lot more rifles than I have. This is the way that I learned and relieving the lug on all sides except for the back makes sense to me.

Anyone else want to share their procedure for bedding the receiver/lug on a rifle with a free floated barrel.

I was taught the very same way as you when I first started....then I learned how to do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">...everything relaxed and stress free as the epoxy cures.</span></div></div>

This makes perfect sense.

Given that a tight lug is better...
Why is a lug that is tight on the sides, and front better, and how?

IOW, if the lug is not in contact on the front/side surface, what is the mechanism that create the issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious.

Anyone ever done a "pepsi challenge" on this.

Be interesting to take a barrel and fit it for a fat lug. Shoot the snot out of it, then put a thin lug on it with a spacer sleeve.

(or just reverse the operations order so that you can ditch the spacer)

I wonder how much difference there'd actually be.

My guess is little stuff (up to say a 308 size cartridge) wouldn't see much change where's the boomers would probably respond a little more.

Single shots vs repeaters would probably have some influence as well.

Not cause the action flexes, but because the stock does a bit.

Be fun to play with. </div></div>
My guess is you already know the outcome!!!