• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advantages of .338 lapua over the .50 BMG?

Re: Advantages of .338 lapua over the .50 BMG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: werew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 LM is not that expensive to shoot IF you reload and take care of your brass! If you can make your brass last 12 loads you're looking at $1.40/round, here's the basic math:

Lapua Brass$275/100pcs.x 12reloads = 1200ct.- $275/1200= .23cents per round for brass.
100 F215M Primers- $4.50/100 = .05cents
1LB of H1000 powder $23,@ 70 rounds per pound- $23/70= .33cents
50 bullets, 300gr. Berger OTM Hybrid and 300SMK's $40/50= .80cents
That's $1.40 per round.
I've just loaded over 80 rounds and the powder math along with bullet prices are accurate. I haven't firsthand experience with making Lapua brass last 12 loads, but have read about folk making Lapua brass last up to 14 reloads and still going. The key thing to mention with reloading 338 Lapua Magnum is using Lapua Brass, it'll last if you know how to take care of it. Taking care of it mostly means stay away from shooting loads that exhibit mid-high pressure signs.

Another thing to note is annealing, for extreme accuracy after the 1rst - 3rd use of 338LM brass one should consider annealing the shoulder to mouth area. Haven't done this yet but i've read about others that have loaded and fired over 1k rounds of 338lm having great success.

The top 2 powders i've researched for the 338LM are H1000 and Retumbo.

I cannot understand anyone paying $120 for 20 rounds of Black Hill 338LM ammo!

The only ammo running through my new 338LM is my own, no factory!

</div></div>

can be a little less than that even counting barrel wear:
once fired brass 1.50 -----------------.17
300 SMK ---------------------------.50
powder by the 8lb--------------------.25
primer-----------------------------.05
barrel wear-------------------------.33
total-------------------------------1.30 per squeeze

I own and shoot both calibers regularly.I'm not rich,I reload.The reason I have longrange rifles,is so I don't have to hump them over hill and dale.I shoot over hill and dale.Getting there is why they invented planes,helo's,pack horses and ATV's.
If I had to take something out at all costs,the 50bmg would be my first choice,but in the real world the 338LM is a more practicle choice for you.I've shot almost every type of 338lm made.I really liked the Sig because of the LH offering.I settled on the Savage 110ba because I got a deal and a half on it.It's only offered in RH config now,but the butt stock is nuetral.It shoots just as good as the sig,but weighs more.Not that good for carrying around,but it's great if your shooting all day.
I hunt with my 50's too.Mostly my Tac50.27lbs with a leupold MK4 LR Tact+Barrett BORS system.I've shot alot of deer and other critters with 647 grn barnes XXX HP and the 750 Amax.It's only impressive if you hit heavy bone.The 338LM 185grn VLD does more damage.Good Luck with your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really leaning towards the .338 lapua, I mean I want to be able to walk a couple miles with this thing in mountainous terrain. Seems like the weight alone on the .50 bmg combined with ammo, would be very difficult to travel around on foot with. I don't need to fire at vehicle's at 1 mile too often, just wondering if it could do the job in a SHTF type situation. Besides that cost is a factor, I can pick up a 110BA, Quality optics, ammo and reloading dies for less than the Barret .50 alone. I think AP ammo for the .338 is still legal because I've seen them being sold on gunbroker in the past, apparently they are made by Lapua. I have thought about the Cheytac .408, I really like the whole "system". But If I'm going to spend that much money I would rather go with the devastation of a .50 BMG </div></div>

if your honestly considering a SHTF situation they why not just get a AI aw or ax in 338? and even if your not considering a SHTF situation why not consider a AI aw or ax in 338? haha get the point :p

I really like the .50 BMG for hunting purposes; it is a bit of a load to to pack around in the hills, though. I have a good drag-bag with shoulder straps that makes it tolerable. I have a Serbu that is lighter than the Barrett and is a good entry-level system for getting a .50 BMG fix. I guide a fair number of disabled hunters, and the .50 has been the perfect solution for many situations. We have taken half a dozen Brown bear, along with several wolves and black bear with it- results pretty uniform; full length penetration and 1" exit hole using 750Amax. 800 yards is about the max range without much practice. I am in the process of building up a .338LM on a 700 MLR for a more accurate & portable system in the mountains, I am looking forward to testing it in the field this spring.