• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for buying kestral

Dave338458

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
uk
Hi ,
I am using strelok pro , and want a kestral , do I buy a basic model or get the one with ballistics on , is it better than strelok , what's the best , buy once cry once ! Currently use basic laser range finder , and chrono alpha , do I need to a range finder that links , ?
Advice to point me in right direction appreciated
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Hi ,
I am using strelok pro , and want a kestral , do I buy a basic model or get the one with ballistics on , is it better than strelok , what's the best , buy once cry once ! Currently use basic laser range finder , and chrono alpha , do I need to a range finder that links , ?
Advice to point me in right direction appreciated
Thanks
Dave
Recieved my kestrel today #5700 Hornady 4dof from Extreamemeters price was right shipping was quick so far happy. Still have to get through the learning curve Just playing with it now (the Kestrel) no real world yet. Looks like it will do everything I need pair with my Leupold rx2800 laser range finder now balls in my court. $489.00 delivered took 2 days extrememeters they are on the web.

If your doing "buy once, cry once" then it's 5700 elite..
The ability to save up to 10 targets/ 30 gun profiles , range card/ Target card, use the applied ballistics custom curves all made it worth it to me. Even without a rangefinder that has the ability to link to it yet. I think the other ones only do 1 Target and 3 profiles. The others do have the ability to "upgrade " to elite if you decide later though

I have a kestrel 4500NV with Applied Ballistics, and I've used Strelok. I mainly use my Kestrel now because it live updates the firing solution as the environment changes and powder temp changes. Once you get the powder temperature/velocity settings all set up, dude, it's fucking awesome.

So just looking at the ballistics part , not weather , is it as good or better than strelok ?

Ballistics wise, both are very close to each other. I was using both at the same time for several months and the firing solutions provided were within 0.1 mil. However, I switched to just the kestrel because of battery life, and overall convenience of not having to change inputs on my phone... the kestrel just does everything automatically.

Ok battery life is a good point , looks like I will buy one then , I do like the interface of strelok , hope the kestral is as good

Ok battery life is a good point , looks like I will buy one then , I do like the interface of strelok , hope the kestral is as good
When it comes to the interface, make sure you read the instructions for the Kestrel. I got mine used and had to figure out everything from scratch. It's not bad, but having instructions would have helped A LOT.

If your not concerned with the weather aspect, why spend the money on a Kestrel?

When it comes to the interface, make sure you read the instructions for the Kestrel. I got mine used and had to figure out everything from scratch. It's not bad, but having instructions would have helped A LOT.
I found strelok pretty straight forward, IAM expecting the kestral to be a bit harder , display dosnt look quite so easy
If your not concerned with the weather aspect, why spend the money on a Kestrel?
Sorry I should of made that clearer , i meant just compare the ballistics part of both ,

I think you will like the Kestrel. The weather/environmental capability is one of if not the the main reasons I got the 5700. With the added ballistic features its a pretty cool toy.

This is just my personal opinion, but I like having a "all-in-one" system that I can rely on, especially once you have faith in your equipment. I know my Kestrel has earned my trust with consistent, accurate firing solutions across several rifles and ranges. It's far more accurate and convenient than guessing what your atmospherics are, or using data from a weather station that might be at the airport 30 miles away and still having to enter the data into a separate system just to get your firing solution.