• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice for first-time 5.56 reloader

Emryse

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Hey folks, I've really appreciated the knowledgeable advice I always receive from you all here on the Hide, so here goes...

New to reloading - started with my precision loads for my .308; now I want to move on to my AR-15. I actually have two ARs:

1st:
- Sig 516 10"BBL pistol (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogPro...istol-with-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace.aspx)
- Gas piston, 5.56x45, 1:7twist, 6 grooves
- I run it suppressed

2nd:
- Sig M400 Enhanced 16" rifle (https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sigm400-enhanced.aspx)
- Direct impingement, 5.56x45, 1:7twist, 6 grooves
- not suppressed

OK - so here's my questions:

Question 1:
- What is the best die set to use (and unless there's a big problem, can it be RCBS)
- I'm leaning RCBS, but is there a difference between the AR-15 black die set, the normal, and the x-sizer? (or more specifically, how should I regard the differences?)
- Crimp, or not crimp? Why, why not? Does this have to do with whether a bullet can be unloaded from chamber once loaded without getting stuck in barrel?
- is the full length or the small base the one I want? Why?

Question 2:
- Good step-by-step for reloading?

Question 3:
- what grain bullet and load recipe should I be targeting as a starting point

Context:
- Rounds would be for the following purposes:
- engaging targets out to 300 yards, mostly between 25 and 150 yards
- home defense and range
- does not need to be "super precise"
- functions reliably

Thanks for reading to this point despite what I'm sure must be some of the ignorance I've displayed - and I appreciate your thoughtful responses in advance!

I would recommend using 77SMK bullet for a 1-7 twist .For an AR-15 I would use LC Brass .Make sure you bump the shoulders at least .002 .Make sure the Primers are seated all the way.
For the AR I would recommend Wolf SRM Primers ,CCI Mil Spec ,CCI 450 Or Federal Primers designed for use in an AR. These primers have a harder and thicker cup

My pet loads with 77SMK is 23.2 IMR 8208 and 24.1 of RL-15 .

Regards Mike

Last edited:
What M14 said is a great start.

My AR load is:

77gr Nosler CC @ 2.255"
23.5gr 8208XBR (a bit above 223 book max)
RP brass (use LC interchangeably)
CCI-450
No crimp
2670fps from 18" 1:8 rifle gas AR

I use Lee Pacesetter dies, Lee hand primer, Lee press, and a WFT trimmer.

75gr Hornady HPBT is a good alternative to the 77 SMK/CC, and 24.0-24.5gr Varget or RL15 are also popular charges for those weight bullets.

I've used CCI400 and Rem 6.5 with the above load and NEVER had an issue, but pricing is typically the same for a magnum primer so....

Crimping is a matter of taste in an AR. Some do and some don't. Any brand of dies will work, A small base die is designed for use in an auto like the AR. It sizes the base as some brass you find may have been fired in machine gun with a larger chamber to ensure any round will chamber and fire. Avoid these if possible. A full length die will work also, just won't size that brass all the way down like a sb die. Your twist will stabilize a longer bullet, but you can shoot 55 grainers cheaper. You are limited to mag length for reliable function.